Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What changes to production Cybertruck ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From a bunch of articles:
  • Tt’s not street legal. The vehicle lacks side mirrors — though the government may eventually approve rear-looking cameras instead of mirrors — windshield wipers and a front bumper. And its single light bar in the front and back would not pass safety standards. There did not appear to be any turn signals or a third brake light. The tires also appear to protrude from their wheel wells, which is illegal. The pickup’s sharp angles and ultra-hard material could also be a safety issue, with no obvious crumple zones to absorb the impact of a crash, which could affect the safety not only of those inside the Cybertruck, but any vehicle or pedestrian it hits.
  • Just a quick glimpse at Cybertruck tells you everything you need to know about its road-readiness. A street-legal front bumper seems to be missing and the tires are clearly protruding from the wheel wells, which isn't allowed on roads in the U.S. Some other obvious, safety features, like side-view mirrors, are also missing.

I'm all for companies showcasing concept vehicles and refining designs as time goes on. But does Tesla really believe the Cybertruck in its current form would be allowed on roads? And if not, what will need to change over time to get it there? We haven't been provided a real answer.

• Its wheels and tires look like they’re straight out of a sci-fi movie, and the setup doesn’t look like it would be viable for production. The steering wheel looks like something out of a race car, so we imagine plenty of interior changes will be coming, too,

But we assume the overall design and materials are production-intent, and we're curious about the safety aspects of the truck’s design, so we talked to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) about it.

First off, all of the sharp angles made us wonder how the truck will interact with pedestrians in a crash. “That’s definitely an issue with SUVs and pickups. Pedestrians are more likely to get killed by them. But I’m not sure if the angles would necessarily contribute to that,” Joe Young, IIHS media relations associate told us.

David Zuby, IIHS chief research officer, also pointed out there is no U.S. federal requirement that vehicles need to meet to interact with pedestrians in a certain way, as there is in Europe and elsewhere. “It’s hard to say whether this will be worse or better than being hit by a different type of truck,” Young adds.

Why do people keep saying it doesn't have a front bumper? It does..

It does have side marker lights front and back from what I can see. (I don't think the US requires any actual lights on the side of vehicles.)

They even put in brake lights that show up when the tailgate with the bar is down. I think the have the regulations, at least US ones, covered.

From a bunch of articles:
  • Tt’s not street legal. The vehicle lacks side mirrors — though the government may eventually approve rear-looking cameras instead of mirrors — windshield wipers and a front bumper. And its single light bar in the front and back would not pass safety standards. There did not appear to be any turn signals or a third brake light. The tires also appear to protrude from their wheel wells, which is illegal. The pickup’s sharp angles and ultra-hard material could also be a safety issue, with no obvious crumple zones to absorb the impact of a crash, which could affect the safety not only of those inside the Cybertruck, but any vehicle or pedestrian it hits.
  • Just a quick glimpse at Cybertruck tells you everything you need to know about its road-readiness. A street-legal front bumper seems to be missing and the tires are clearly protruding from the wheel wells, which isn't allowed on roads in the U.S. Some other obvious, safety features, like side-view mirrors, are also missing.

I'm all for companies showcasing concept vehicles and refining designs as time goes on. But does Tesla really believe the Cybertruck in its current form would be allowed on roads? And if not, what will need to change over time to get it there? We haven't been provided a real answer.

• Its wheels and tires look like they’re straight out of a sci-fi movie, and the setup doesn’t look like it would be viable for production. The steering wheel looks like something out of a race car, so we imagine plenty of interior changes will be coming, too,

But we assume the overall design and materials are production-intent, and we're curious about the safety aspects of the truck’s design, so we talked to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) about it.

First off, all of the sharp angles made us wonder how the truck will interact with pedestrians in a crash. “That’s definitely an issue with SUVs and pickups. Pedestrians are more likely to get killed by them. But I’m not sure if the angles would necessarily contribute to that,” Joe Young, IIHS media relations associate told us.

David Zuby, IIHS chief research officer, also pointed out there is no U.S. federal requirement that vehicles need to meet to interact with pedestrians in a certain way, as there is in Europe and elsewhere. “It’s hard to say whether this will be worse or better than being hit by a different type of truck,” Young adds.

What shocks me, there is alot of willful ignorance or plain stupidity in the referenced Reuters article.

See my other thread about the impaired functionality of the cargo bed with those high sides in the way. The fastback concept for trucks has been tried and failed before. It essentially turns the vehicle into a giant hatchback SUV, not a pickup.

I would square off the back of the cab, lower the angle slightly of the body-side crease line and continue that as the top of the box.

Tesla could offer a fast-back topper with the roll top as an add-on option for those who like the current look.

• Disagree
Reactions: Electruck
TeslaTruckOrg.jpg

No photoshop but I would like them to use wrap around glass for the windshield to improve the vision out the front.

See my other thread about the impaired functionality of the cargo bed with those high sides in the way. The fastback concept for trucks has been tried and failed before. It essentially turns the vehicle into a giant hatchback SUV, not a pickup.

I would square off the back of the cab, lower the angle slightly of the body-side crease line and continue that as the top of the box.

Tesla could offer a fast-back topper with the roll top as an add-on option for those who like the current look.

Took a stab at photoshopping what I am talking about. Raised the roofline of the back of the cab slightly to hold the proportions. The angle of the box is actually ends up pretty nice just leaving the current crease line as-is. If I had a bit more time to play with it, I would move the C-pillar 6" more forward and give those 6" of wheel base to making the box bigger.

Cybertruck_OpenBed.jpg

Last edited:
Even a side impact. How will the cab crumble to protect the inside passengers?
In my opinion once they start doing crash tests inhouse they will have a hard time figuring out how to make a 5 star safety rating truck.
It seen on youtube where this truck didnt exist 2 weeks ago. And was built in a hurry to match the mock up display.
I think this was put out now to stop people from going over to rivian or future ford chevy EV's.

Took a stab at photoshopping what I am talking about. Raised the roofline of the back of the cab slightly to hold the proportions. The angle of the box is actually ends up pretty nice just leaving the current crease line as-is. If I had a bit more time to play with it, I would move the C-pillar 6" more forward and give those 6" of wheel base to making the box bigger.

View attachment 481480
Yeah that voids everything they accomplished with that amazing design. There is no gentle release of the airfoil, the design is amazingly elegant in how it handles aerodynamics, look at other threads, maybe the investor thread...can't remember. Anyhow, it has been modeled already and it is cool. You get the range benefits because it is efficient. What you are proposing is not efficient as the airfoil is not released, you are back to inherent flaw in current trucks. More to the point is that the current truck looks like that as a reflection of manufacturing limitations from 1930s. The cybertruck will be a clean break in automative design and the opportunity to move forward with a much much more functional vehicle.

Even a side impact. How will the cab crumble to protect the inside passengers?
In my opinion once they start doing crash tests inhouse they will have a hard time figuring out how to make a 5 star safety rating truck.
It seen on youtube where this truck didnt exist 2 weeks ago. And was built in a hurry to match the mock up display.
I think this was put out now to stop people from going over to rivian or future ford chevy EV's.
Yes, he announced months and months ago that it would be released in Nov 19 and he did it. If it screws up ford and rivian good for tesla and bad for them. If it is a half assed prototype and can still deep six the competition what does that say about the status of the competition? they are ready to die. Help them along.

Rivian is not moving at Tesla speed, that's the main issue with them. Seem to have head in right place just not moving fast enough.

None can solve the battery issues. They can't solve range issue with others battery because they have remained conventional in design which is so inefficient. The conventional design means they can't tow. They can't tow with range. They remain committed to conventional design.

I just believe that Tesla has put the nail in the coffin of all truck manufacturers and that in 10 years anything else will look like a flip phone in a sea of iphones.

Reactions: JakeTrilla
Plus the triangle is on purpose as the exoskeleton truss frame is inside either side of the truck. This is what stiffens the whole vehicle.
Aerodynamics also don't work as native wolf pointed out as you don't have laminar flow down the tail end to bring the airstreams back together. (think water drop)

Reactions: Richt and Electruck
No changes to the the stainless steel sheet metal, only change is to the front pillar location and wrap around glass for the front windshield.

But the location of that front pillar is central to the structural design - having the long shallow angles and straight lines gives the truck bending stiffness; with the pillars located further aft, the front half of the truck will be far weaker.

• Informative
Reactions: Richt