Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Configuration will be produced 1st.?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because those legions of $#0r+s, Bear$, ANALysts, pundits, Naysayers, lawyers, ne'er-do-wells, and associated lynch mobs are waiting for any friggin' excuse, no matter how slight, to accuse Tesla of wrongdoing and demand that an alphabet soup of enforcement agencies from FBI and FTC through IRS and SEC descend upon Tesla's Palo Alto offices with a stackful of writs to shut down their operations pending investigation.

Don't believe me? You don't have to. Stop by YouTube and check out documentaries that cover TUCKER and DeLOREAN to see the lengths that big business will go to in order to revel in trumped up charges being brought against innocents.

Tesla is in a new technology world today. Most of the smear tactics that were used to campaign against those other car companies simply don't work anymore. Didn't stop them from trying anyway. Tesla can resist the influence of The OLD GUARD, but they cannot give The ENEMY ammunition or arms. Tesla must be very careful to remain well within the rules all the way through the full launch of Model 3.
Shaping customer expectations through communication is an important part of maintaining control of your company and product narrative. Failing to adequately convey your intentions to your target market at the appropriate time usually comes back around to bite you in the ass. It also leaves a company wide open for others who may not have the company's best interests in mind to construct a narrative. In my eyes, Tesla has a problem with both not communicating enough but also communicating too much too early... granted, it could be argued that this is an artifact of the somewhat precarious financial position Tesla is in.

If your argument is that Tesla is in too precarious of a position to be able to provide any sort of general information with regard to production timeline intent at the appropriate juncture, taking into consideration the importance of a smooth Model 3 launch for the future of the company, then they're already hosed. Stand down threat level tinfoil. :rolleyes:

Either way, we're all just gonna have to sit back and wait to see how Tesla handles things this time around.

It isn't paranoia when they are really after you. Tesla has been attacked by both the Los Angeles Times and the New York Times. Tesla has withstood accusations from both the Wall Street Journal and Forbes. Tesla is being constantly hounded by ANALysts from FAUX News and CNBC. And even coverage from Reuters and Bloomberg is on the doubting side of the table, as anything announced by Tesla is met with quizzical facial expressions similar to those of a Third Grader trying to puzzle out how any times 13 guzzinta 39...

Shaping customer expectations through communication is an important part of maintaining control of your company and product narrative. Failing to adequately convey your intentions to your target market at the appropriate time usually comes back around to bite you in the ass. It also leaves a company wide open for others who may not have the company's best interests in mind to construct a narrative. In my eyes, Tesla has a problem with both not communicating enough but also communicating too much too early... granted, it could be argued that this is an artifact of the somewhat precarious financial position Tesla is in.

If your argument is that Tesla is in too precarious of a position to be able to provide any sort of general information with regard to production timeline intent at the appropriate juncture, taking into consideration the importance of a smooth Model 3 launch for the future of the company, then they're already hosed. Stand down threat level tinfoil. :rolleyes:

Either way, we're all just gonna have to sit back and wait to see how Tesla handles things this time around.
Please explain the apparent communication failure you perceive from Tesla telling Customers, "Your car will be ready when it's done." or conversely, "No car will be Delivered before it is built."

What is inadequate about saying, "We are working hard to make sure the Model ≡ is the best car that can be had for the money."...?

What do you consider an 'appropriate time' to disseminate critical insider information to individuals outside the company without any advance warning to shareholders?

As I noted above the traditional media remains more than willing to create a narrative of their own regardless of what Tesla says. That is often due to their belief those who don't pay for advertising do not deserve to have good news published about them. Screw those guys.

Three years ago, Elon Musk became rather fed up with how so many reporters were misquoting him. He also didn't like how his honest enthusiasm was being portrayed as 'hype'. So, he announced that Tesla will be holding their cards close to the vest going forward. He has maintained that stance ever since. To good effect in my opinion.

My argument has nothing to do with Tesla's financial state. It has everything to do with avoiding the sort of 'appearance of impropriety' that leads to highly publicized and typically inaccurate scandals. Tesla cannot afford such a distraction. Especially not one that involves the SEC and perhaps has an official nature attached to it. That could lead to a lack of faith in the stock and diminished interest in the product line if Tesla is somehow tainted to seem 'dirty'. Best to avoid entrapment by not laying snares for yourself.

Reactions: CCWgr
It's The Inverse Accuracy Law: the more you know about a particular subject, the less reliable any and all news reports will be. I can understand why Musk avoids pointless PR exercises.
That said, I also think Tesla is being excessively coy about revealing Model 3 information. Reveal 1.0 was a smash hit. Reveal 2.0 was, well, never mind. And Reveal 3? Come on. It's a product launch. Not a strip tease. If there are aspects of the Model 3 that remain unresolved, don't speak of them. Keep everyone guessing until it's sorted. If, on the other hand, there are bits that are pretty much set in stone, if they don't compromise the company's competitive standing or its ability to raise capital, what harm comes from revealing them?
BTW, I'm perfectly patient. I'll be happy (for me, not for them) to let Tesla/SpaceX employees do the Beta testing.
Robin

Come on. It's a product launch. Not a strip tease. If there are aspects of the Model 3 that remain unresolved, don't speak of them. Keep everyone guessing until it's sorted. If, on the other hand, there are bits that are pretty much set in stone, if they don't compromise the company's competitive standing or its ability to raise capital, what harm comes from revealing them?
Isn't that sort of contradictory? You said it's not a strip tease, implying they should just get on with it, then you say if there are unresolved things they should not mention them, implying that they'll have to mention later. Thus, turning it into a strip tease... :D

Reactions: Red Sage
what harm comes from revealing them?
Idunno. But I do know that it seems the calculated risk of NOT revealing information before its time is more likely to generate good will. No sneak peaks for competitors. Let them quake in their boots wondering if Tesla will take it easy on them, or come with the full on Hammer of THOR to crush them into oblivion. If I were the CEO of Tesla, the answer would be pretty obvious even if I were publicly silent -- I'm the OVERKILL guy -- but Elon may actually leave some, small, sliver of hope that Acura, Alfa Romeo, AUDI, BMW, Cadillac, Infiniti, Jaguar, Lexus and Mercedes-Benz might stand a chance in the next 18 months... Before dropping a Tesla Model ☰ P135D Coupe with Falcon Wing Doors, that completes the Nurburgring in 7:11 in street legal form! In any case, I believe it is prudent that Tesla err on the side of extreme caution well through the successful launch of Model ☰. Because, believe it or not, there are Americans who don't want to see a newly successful American car company arise. That is a large portion as to why it has not happened in 90+ years.

Reactions: DavidP
Isn't that sort of contradictory? You said it's not a strip tease, implying they should just get on with it, then you say if there are unresolved things they should not mention them, implying that they'll have to mention later. Thus, turning it into a strip tease... :D
I don't think so. If there are aspects of the design that need to be kept shrouded- for whatever the reason- shroud them. But surely not everything about the Model 3 falls into that category, does it? But it's also perfectly accurate to say there are a lot of Americans who do not want this particular American company to succeed. Go figure.
Robin

Reactions: Red Sage
Or they don't want someone who may have bought a Model S/X later this spring to not move on it because they see all that the Model 3 will include, and it's price (once the design studio prices get out), essentially losing sales they could have gotten this next quarter vs reservations to be cashed in sometime in 2018-19.
Doing the reveal the end of March or the end of June will make no difference to the production or delivery schedule of the Model 3, but could potentially have a negative impact on the existing vehicle lines' sales.

Reactions: BluestarE3