Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WHAT could be the "new approach to servicing" at all SCs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Subscription service like some softwares where you pay a (relatively) low monthly fee and it covers ANYTHING that happens to the car. Tesla acting as insurance company for their cars and guaranteeing themselves the repair work. They must have heaps of data that would allow them a view into how often cars are being repaired for any reasons - accidents, mechanical, electrical, warranty, wear and tear, etc. You could use your Service Plan money to switch over to this.

At the end of 2014, 50,000 Model S paying, say $100/month = $60M/year. Most importantly, they take complete control of the user experience. Bump a light pole or run over a trailer hitch, call Tesla. Air Suspension on the fritz - call Tesla. Seat heater shorting out, call Tesla. Tires need rotating, you get the picture. Sets them up for the upsell at the right times, especially when you're supposed to turn in your loaner!

I'm thinking it's probably something along these lines too. The only problem with Teslas is that they don't require much service, but when they do, it's crazy expensive. I'm thinking it will be some type of "service plan" (aka insurance) that would guarantee you never have to pay for a new battery pack, or a new drive train, or Gas shocks, etc. I'm sure it will be expensive, but it will probably cover virtually everything.

Tesla's ownership support works the same way. You call to complain. Some idiot writes it down and may or may not send it to a real technician or software engineer. The tech or engineer logs a note in response. And the idiot calls you back and reads from the log. Hides the real techs and engineers from the owners.

I've always been able to talk to the Tesla technicians. They don't seem hidden at all.

You drive into the service center, onto this platform and get out. The car is lifted into the air. In front of you is a toolbox and a shop manual...
Sounds like a great start to an Adventure game:

"Read manual" : The pages are blank.

"Open Toolbox" : The toolbox is locked.

"Go North" : You hit your head on the raised car.

"Go South" : You trip over a tiny key...

WHAT could be the "new approach to servicing" at all SCs?
Tesla is pioneering a new approach to vehicle servicing that we believe will revolutionize the customer experience. An announcement about this will be forthcoming shortly.

Your question assumes the service change involves the service centers but the portion you quoted does not reference that.

- - - Updated - - -

It used to be that way at my service station but they have added a new person that is the "in between". So those days of talking directly to the techs may be a thing of the past.
My recent experiences suggest they are trying to make it not necessary to talk to the tech (thus not slowing them down from their next task) but not that they will act as a bouncer to stop you from doing so.

My recent experiences suggest they are trying to make it not necessary to talk to the tech (thus not slowing them down from their next task) but not that they will act as a bouncer to stop you from doing so.

That is basically the same experience I had, however I think that ultimately owners won't be talking to the techs as we go forward.

Your question assumes the service change involves the service centers but the portion you quoted does not reference that.

Below is the full paragraph. You are correct, the change does NOT specifically delineate the Service Centers; on the other hand it does indicate they do have something up their sleeve, to be sprung upon unsuspecting short-sellers, perchance? :)

During the quarter, we made dramatic improvements in our service operations. Our investments in staffing, training and locations are beginning to bear fruit. Tesla is pioneering a new approach to vehicle servicing that we believe will revolutionize the customer experience. An announcement about this will be forthcoming shortly.

Subscription service like some softwares where you pay a (relatively) low monthly fee and it covers ANYTHING that happens to the car. Tesla acting as insurance company for their cars and guaranteeing themselves the repair work. They must have heaps of data that would allow them a view into how often cars are being repaired for any reasons - accidents, mechanical, electrical, warranty, wear and tear, etc. You could use your Service Plan money to switch over to this.

At the end of 2014, 50,000 Model S paying, say $100/month = $60M/year. Most importantly, they take complete control of the user experience. Bump a light pole or run over a trailer hitch, call Tesla. Air Suspension on the fritz - call Tesla. Seat heater shorting out, call Tesla. Tires need rotating, you get the picture. Sets them up for the upsell at the right times, especially when you're supposed to turn in your loaner!

I think you're on to something here. One thing I've noticed about both Tesla and Solar City is that they're very, very smart when it comes to creative financing ideas. Solar City seems to me to be even more of a financing company than a solar company, and Tesla has the unique pseudo-lease-buyback option. They also allow for prepaid annual service at a discount. etc., etc. And they already warrant the battery against any defect (including operator error) and any fire (including from collision).

Seems logical that they would roll out some kind of prepaid/monthly package that covers all service/repair/etc. in one. And perhaps they'll roll in data connectivity, too...

Seems logical that they would roll out some kind of prepaid/monthly package that covers all service/repair/etc. in one

Except that they already did.

Those of us who paid for the "service plan" would be fairly ticked if there was another "oh, this is the real service plan, pay more please".

And we wouldn't believe it either, because what about when the third "no, really, this is the service plan, pay even more please" rolls out?

Except that they already did.

Those of us who paid for the "service plan" would be fairly ticked if there was another "oh, this is the real service plan, pay more please".

And we wouldn't believe it either, because what about when the third "no, really, this is the service plan, pay even more please" rolls out?
"Service Plus"

In case it was too subtle...

I was referencing the "Performance Plus" package that many Performance buyers thought they were buying when they bought the Model S Performance vehicle. The paid retrofit for this is $25K. "Free" upgrade not so much.