Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What could be wrong? Both Autopilot and Cruise not working at high speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an appointment on Tuesday with the SC but trying to wrap my mind around what could be causing this.

Neither Autopilot nor cruise control work when on the freeway. I thought it may be something to do with the map data, but earlier today was in traffic due to an accident on the freeway and the cruise and Autopilot icons appeared. As soon as traffic cleared up and started moving at 60-70+ MPH, the icons both disappeared. Also both cruise and AP work fine on surface streets. Super weird and frustrating.

I have an appointment on Tuesday with the SC but trying to wrap my mind around what could be causing this.

Neither Autopilot nor cruise control work when on the freeway. I thought it may be something to do with the map data, but earlier today was in traffic due to an accident on the freeway and the cruise and Autopilot icons appeared. As soon as traffic cleared up and started moving at 60-70+ MPH, the icons both disappeared. Also both cruise and AP work fine on surface streets. Super weird and frustrating.
Strange. Shot in the dark: dirty windshield in front of cameras?

Do you have the car speed limited? (Or the actual limit may be autopilot ) Thought this happened to me once and I think I went to settings and checked all the speed limits. Under "safety and security".

(A more recent post may indicate this is not relevant) .

Last edited:
What AP (2 vs 2.5) and fw version do you have? I have the same problem on Dec 2016 MS 90D (AP 2) that started with fw 2019.12.1.1 about 2 weeks ago.
I contacted service and they stated that it’s a fw issue and nothing can be done except for waiting for the next fw update. If you hear any different please let me know.

Same year and FW version. Yours is exactly same issues? Works on surface streets but not highway? Have you asked them to roll the FW back?
For me I think it’s speed related. Mostly above 50-60 mph. It works fine below 50 mph but when I go higher TACC/AP disengages and gives me the “cruise not available” warming and “hold steering wheel” with the red hands on steering wheel picture. I also noticed that before it disengages the car’s speed starts fluctuating up and down, like if set speed is 65, the car slows down to 50 and then back up to 60-65 and then. down like that until I get the warning.
Talked to service center about downgrading fw and they said no.

UPDATE:

Had the car in for service, they did a diagnosis and found the front radar was out of calibration and apparently the bracket pitch was also off and were not able to calibrate it. They also found the same unable to calibrate issue with the front 3 cameras, plus the side cameras. Ended up replacing the radar, the 3 front cameras and the side cameras, calibrated everything, and all is back to normal! So nice having AP again!

On a side note, had a Model X as a loaner for 3 days and really didnt like it, and I expected to. The big windshield was kind of cool at first but then was annoying with having the sun in your face, and the rear doors have a cool factor for a min but were kind of an annoyance when wanting to just open the door real quick to grab something etc.

UPDATE:

Had the car in for service, they did a diagnosis and found the front radar was out of calibration and apparently the bracket pitch was also off and were not able to calibrate it. They also found the same unable to calibrate issue with the front 3 cameras, plus the side cameras. Ended up replacing the radar, the 3 front cameras and the side cameras, calibrated everything, and all is back to normal! So nice having AP again!

On a side note, had a Model X as a loaner for 3 days and really didnt like it, and I expected to. The big windshield was kind of cool at first but then was annoying with having the sun in your face, and the rear doors have a cool factor for a min but were kind of an annoyance when wanting to just open the door real quick to grab something etc.
Thanks for the update!

UPDATE:

Good to hear that your problem was resolved. Do you mind posting a copy of the invoice that exactly shows what they found and did so that I can confront my service center with it? Thx

Eeep, that scares me from an out of warranty perspective. Bad radar and FIVE cameras? Seems like just throwing parts at the problem until it magically fixes itself...

Not sure if it was just throwing parts at it, they said they tried to adjust the bracket pitch but it still would not calibrate properly so the next step was to actually replace the parts. I'm kind of happy that I have brand new radar and camera parts on my 2.5 year old car, they're probably exactly the same but the idea that they might be an improved version makes me feel better. :D

I also purchased the 4 year extended warranty so break away car! :p

Good to hear that your problem was resolved. Do you mind posting a copy of the invoice that exactly shows what they found and did so that I can confront my service center with it? Thx

Here you go -

Concern: Customer states: Auto pilot features operating erratically

Performed driver assistance function test and verified features are erratic and slow with no obstructions. Performed log
data inspection and found stored alerts for radar calibration issue. Performed radar calibration procedure but test failed.
Replaced radar assembly and programmed. Performed radar calibration test passed. Performed validation test drive
found vehicle still behaving erratic. Performed advanced system diagnosis and found camera data interference with
autopilot module. Replaced triple camera and adjusted pitch. Performed validation test drive and verified vehicle is
operating as designed.

Correction: Camera - Forward Facing

Parts Replaced or Added

Part

TRIPLE CAM RR VIEW MIRROR MOUNT PLATE +2.33 DEGREE(1126328-00-A)

INLINE TRIPLE CAMERA(1089531-00-C) 1.0

Correction: Sensor - Radar - Front - 2nd Generation

Parts Replaced or Added

Part

FRONT RADAR, NO HEATER(1057551-00-B) 1.0

And it does show 2nd Generation for the radar so my feel good about updated parts looks to be accurate, pretty sure what was in there before was a 1st gen as the car is a December 2016 AP2.0.

• Informative
Reactions: Puggle and R1Bill
Eeep, that scares me from an out of warranty perspective. Bad radar and FIVE cameras? Seems like just throwing parts at the problem until it magically fixes itself...
Only the radar and triple canera module, two parts both of which were throwing fault codes. Replaced one at a time.
Looks reasonable to me.

Nevermind, the reasonablness was lost due to the previous diagnistic failure.
Thanks @HX_Guy

Last edited:
Only the radar and triple canera module, two parts both of which were throwing fault codes. Replaced one at a time.
Looks reasonable to me.

They replaced the side cameras on the previous visit. They said the car was ready, I picked it up, drove 2 miles, and it still did the same thing. Was told that 5 cameras total were replaced (though technically the 3 cameras appear to be all one single part/component).

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
Here you go -

Concern: Customer states: Auto pilot features operating erratically

Performed driver assistance function test and verified features are erratic and slow with no obstructions. Performed log
data inspection and found stored alerts for radar calibration issue. Performed radar calibration procedure but test failed.
Replaced radar assembly and programmed. Performed radar calibration test passed. Performed validation test drive
found vehicle still behaving erratic. Performed advanced system diagnosis and found camera data interference with
autopilot module. Replaced triple camera and adjusted pitch. Performed validation test drive and verified vehicle is
operating as designed.

Correction: Camera - Forward Facing

Parts Replaced or Added

Part

TRIPLE CAM RR VIEW MIRROR MOUNT PLATE +2.33 DEGREE(1126328-00-A)

INLINE TRIPLE CAMERA(1089531-00-C) 1.0

Correction: Sensor - Radar - Front - 2nd Generation

Parts Replaced or Added

Part

FRONT RADAR, NO HEATER(1057551-00-B) 1.0

And it does show 2nd Generation for the radar so my feel good about updated parts looks to be accurate, pretty sure what was in there before was a 1st gen as the car is a December 2016 AP2.0.
That’s very helpful. Thank you!

Wow thank you OP. It's so encouraging to hear someone else with the exact same issue. I have been living with it assuming it's just another regression in the last update, but then a 1000mile trip on the weekend drove me crazy (I lost count at over 150 'red hands of death' autopilot disengagements, and estimate close to 1,000 (yes I persisted and it happened every 15 seconds or so, on empty highways). Sent about 50 bug reports to tag the logs!

Off to the SC I go...

I had a similar issue and Tesla initially refused to service the car because the problem was attributed to a “known firmware bug”. So I waited for the next fw update and the problem was not resolved. I finally insisted on taking the car to service and I was surprised to find out that the Tesla engineering team had instructed the service center “not to replace any hardware” because it was blamed on the software. However the technician was able to find that one of the front cameras was out of alignment. He adjusted the camera aim and the problem was solved.

• Informative
Reactions: Puggle
I have this identical issue.

Friday I drove an hour and fifteen minutes to my nearest service center for the 2nd visit to correct this issue. After he checked the camera alignment he said it was not a camera issue and can only be the 'known firmware bug'. They told me that the first visit to fix it, then told me it was camera alignment, then back to a bug. It's been 3 months that cruise control and EAP are unavailable above 60-65 mph. Plus it slows for no reason in clear traffic when it is available. I pressed the tech (who is a nice guy) that I needed in the summary of the work order a bug ID or some way to legally tie this to the 'known issue' and make it official, a date that it will be fixed, or state in writing that they can not guarantee a fix date.I was told legally he's not allowed to provide me detail on the 'known bug' malfunction in my car, or provide any statement about when this will be fixed other than a 'future software update'. I'm not sure how they can legally refuse to tell me the the cause or details about a known defect in our vehicles affecting our basic functions and our safety features. I was told the next update would fix it when I first noticed the issue. At least 3 updates and 2 service visits later they still can't fix it. In my state, from what I know, lemon law applies after 4 unsuccessful attempts to repair an issue. Since they state software will be the fix, and I've had 2 visits and at least 3 software updates that fail to fix the issue I'm wondering if updates that fail to fix the issue will legally register as an 'attempt to fix'.

My theory is our computers are fried or defected and they are trying everything under the sun to sweep it under the rug.

Also my model s is also Dec 2016 ap 2.0.

• Informative
Reactions: croman