Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What could be wrong? Both Autopilot and Cruise not working at high speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the first software version they pushed after the autonomy event. From what I have read in Michigan it also apllies to vehicles still covered by the warranty period, which mine is. They broke it, they wont tell me or anyone else what's wrong, and so far they can't fix it.

Edit. Looked again. 'Whichever is shorter' what a rip.
'The first report of the defect must be made within one year from the date of delivery to the original purchaser or lessee or during the term of the manufacturer's warranty, whichever period is shorter.'

Last edited:
With the first software version they pushed after the autonomy event. From what I have read in Michigan it also apllies to vehicles still covered by the warranty period, which mine is. They broke it, they wont tell me or anyone else what's wrong, and so far they can't fix it.

'The first report of the defect must be made within one year from the date of delivery to the original purchaser or lessee or during the term of the manufacturer's warranty, whichever period is shorter.'
You can open an arbitration request. I think that’s the best course of action if no other result.

I have this identical issue.

Friday I drove an hour and fifteen minutes to my nearest service center for the 2nd visit to correct this issue. After he checked the camera alignment he said it was not a camera issue and can only be the 'known firmware bug'. They told me that the first visit to fix it, then told me it was camera alignment, then back to a bug. It's been 3 months that cruise control and EAP are unavailable above 60-65 mph. Plus it slows for no reason in clear traffic when it is available. I pressed the tech (who is a nice guy) that I needed in the summary of the work order a bug ID or some way to legally tie this to the 'known issue' and make it official, a date that it will be fixed, or state in writing that they can not guarantee a fix date.I was told legally he's not allowed to provide me detail on the 'known bug' malfunction in my car, or provide any statement about when this will be fixed other than a 'future software update'. I'm not sure how they can legally refuse to tell me the the cause or details about a known defect in our vehicles affecting our basic functions and our safety features. I was told the next update would fix it when I first noticed the issue. At least 3 updates and 2 service visits later they still can't fix it. In my state, from what I know, lemon law applies after 4 unsuccessful attempts to repair an issue. Since they state software will be the fix, and I've had 2 visits and at least 3 software updates that fail to fix the issue I'm wondering if updates that fail to fix the issue will legally register as an 'attempt to fix'.

My theory is our computers are fried or defected and they are trying everything under the sun to sweep it under the rug.

Also my model s is also Dec 2016 ap 2.0.
I would go to another service center if possible and ask to replace the front facing cameras. If that doesn’t fix the problem then ask to replace the autopilot computer if they still insist on a firmware bug (obviously most other autopilot computers are not affected by this “bug”)

Do you have a USB memory stick inserted for teslacam/sentry? If you do, try removing it and see if your problems are fixed. There may be an odd bug between the two.

I'm still waiting after 2 months for a fix. Just like you, S75D Dec 16, AP2.0, and started with first update after autonomy event (NoA release in US).

What I don't get is how to fight the SC when they say "Well it started with a software update so it can't be hardware". I don't get why our cameras and radar were perfectly aligned and calibrated for 2 years until about 3 updates ago.

Oh and my issue is more severe; check this action out:

Tesla Mobile Service visited yesterday for this exact condition, cruise and autopilot erratic above 57 mph. Tech did research on the spot and reported to me that recent firmware releases expect a slightly different forward camera view, so my car will require installation of a SHIM to align the camera for proper compatibility with the latest and future firmware. This condition is said to be rare, but apparently not too rare since this forum topic exists, and a repair part exists. My vehicle is a late 2016 Model S.

• Helpful
Reactions: Puggle
Yes, this is known issue with early AP2 cars until March 2017 builds... see link for TSB.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10153851-9999.pdf

I just had mine fixed a couple days ago on a Dec 16 Model S, and after a bit of calibration driving everything seems to be working well again! It only took about an hour at my local service center. I tried to watch them do the work. After replacing the bracket they used a checkerboard panel to calibrate. Looks like it just sits in front of the car and its a software procedure. For reference this work would have been about $250 out of warranty. My car is barely out of warranty but they fixed it for free.

I guess the bigger question I have, (beyond early AP2 car camera alignment issues) is how Tesla plans to deal with these type of issues long term. Meaning at what point does the system know there is something physically wrong and needs service. I guess software can kind of figure this out to some degree if done right, but maybe there needs to be yearly physical calibration check for all these AP2/2.5/3 cars.

Really my issue is not so much the camera was off pitch from the factory, its the fact that the system still thinks everything is OK physically and attempts to function on misaligned hardware with horrible results.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: mongo and Puggle
Yes, this is known issue with early AP2 cars until March 2017 builds... see link for TSB.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10153851-9999.pdf

I just had mine fixed a couple days ago on a Dec 16 Model S, and after a bit of calibration driving everything seems to be working well again! It only took about an hour at my local service center. I tried to watch them do the work. After replacing the bracket they used a checkerboard panel to calibrate. Looks like it just sits in front of the car and its a software procedure. For reference this work would have been about $250 out of warranty. My car is barely out of warranty but they fixed it for free.

I guess the bigger question I have, (beyond early AP2 car camera alignment issues) is how Tesla plans to deal with these type of issues long term. Meaning at what point does the system know there is something physically wrong and needs service. I guess software can kind of figure this out to some degree if done right, but maybe there needs to be yearly physical calibration check for all these AP2/2.5/3 cars.

Really my issue is not so much the camera was off pitch from the factory, its the fact that the system still thinks everything is OK physically and attempts to function on misaligned hardware with horrible results.

Cannot thank you enough @lt1buick. Your attachment of the TSB shortcircuited all of the arguing and got my car fixed pronto!

It's a shame that we have to find these fixes ourselves and feed them to the SC to finally fix something (this seems to happen a lot in other threads).

For anyone who has similar erratic autopilot behaviour, definitely check out this simple bracket fix! So good to have autopilot back.

Reactions: mongo