Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What could Tesla give SR+ buyers to differentiate it from the SR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve said this elsewhere, but I’ll also say it here...and before I get started, know that I love my car.

You shouldn’t feel duped, you were duped...and so was I!

But people on this forum will say “you got what you paid for and liked it then, stop complaining about it”, when in all reality, we bought the SR+ because of how much better it was than the SR when they marketed it to us...now SR folks are getting many free upgrades since they’re getting our car with a software limited battery.

What really pisses me off is it seemed like we (existing SR+ owners) could get a partial refund and downgrade to the SR based on the blog post...it appears Tesla walked that back too.

I’m fine with my car, but I’m really pissed that’s Tesla scammed me into an SR+ when in all reality I would have been fine with the SR that’s available for sale right now.

I’m sure I’ll get downvoted to hell for this post though.

Problem is your putting yourself on a pedestal. By your logic ALL Tesla owners were scammed. Original PUP owners were told they had to pay $5k for the premium materials, vegan leather seats and powered seats which turned out the SR+ and SR buyers got also, where is their compensation? Stop making it seem like SR+ buyers are in this special class of their own. Tesla sold you a package and everything was included as advertised. Just because they decided to make a new limited hard to get software locked SR model doesn't take anything away from your car. Tesla works on the fly and this could have been a last minute decision after you ordered your car. I know it sucks and many have gone through the hurt much worse than you but your car came with specs as advertised. Again, give Tesla some time and your car will be "special" again when they software lock the SR model soon. Many Tesla owners bought cars which never became feature complete (FSD AP2.0 etc) put that into perspective too as a post like this is just isolating various buyers. SR+ buyers are new to the community, don't try to make old owners feel worse as they had growing pains much worse and never got compensation or special treatment.

I don't think it matters. They only need to sell the SR for a while in order to make good on the 35k price point, then they will say SR is going to be removed as an option because the SR+ was so much more popular.

Reactions: Sherlo
But they are going to take features away on the SR, so yours will be different very soon. Think of it like the AP trials, people get it for 30 days and can buy it after the trial of they choose. People with SR will lose their ability to use fog light, range and couple other little things after their "trial" is up. Tesla does things frequently on the fly, once they figure out how to disable things they will. Again this SR is likely going to be short lived, like the S 40 model and I bet majority of the public has not clue about it because the SR isn't even on the main website to order.

Exactly. I actually thought I read someone saying in some case, don’t recall the specifics, that software related features they hadn’t paid for in their model did go away with a software version upgrade. Sure the SR+ owner will feel somewhat better after those limiting OTA upgrades happen LOL.

Reactions: dame3780
Problem is your putting yourself on a pedestal. By your logic ALL Tesla owners were scammed. Original PUP owners were told they had to pay $5k for the premium materials, vegan leather seats and powered seats which turned out the SR+ and SR buyers got also, where is their compensation? Stop making it seem like SR+ buyers are in this special class of their own. Tesla sold you a package and everything was included as advertised. Just because they decided to make a new limited hard to get software locked SR model doesn't take anything away from your car. Tesla works on the fly and this could have been a last minute decision after you ordered your car. I know it sucks and many have gone through the hurt much worse than you but your car came with specs as advertised. Again, give Tesla some time and your car will be "special" again when they software lock the SR model soon. Many Tesla owners bought cars which never became feature complete (FSD AP2.0 etc) put that into perspective too as a post like this is just isolating various buyers. SR+ buyers are new to the community, don't try to make old owners feel worse as they had growing pains much worse and never got compensation or special treatment.
I’m pissed because the SR they announced last month was a FAKE car. All this happened in one month...don’t act like I’m some early adopter and bought my vehicle years ago and now this just happened...Tesla literally isn’t offering the SR on their site because it won’t be for sale very long after they get through the current SR orders.

Basically, the few who ordered the SR are getting a killer deal, and that’s awesome for them...but not I’m not rich enough to put myself on a “pedestal” as you would like to explain it. I bought the base 3, I make an honest living, but to see others getting the same exact people get the car I ordered for thousands of dollars less within a month is frustrating.

And like I said, I was going to call Tesla and downgrade to the SR (like they said we could in the blog post) and they appeared to walk that back to.

I’m going to enjoy my car, but just because I am doesn’t mean we can’t admit Tesla did some scammy stuff offering a fake SR to them give everyone the SR+ a month later.

Remember, as much as we love Elon...he literally tweeted “Saudi Arabia and Funding Secured” which wasn’t very honest...this wasn’t an “honest mistake” either, it was to get people to spend thousands of more dollars on the SR+ instead of the SR...then shortly after give SR owners the same car as the SR+

Last edited:
I’m pissed because the SR they announced last month was a FAKE car. All this happened in one month...don’t act like I’m some early adopter and bought my vehicle years ago and now this just happened...Tesla literally isn’t offering the SR on their site because it won’t be for sale very long after they get through the current SR orders.

Basically, the few who ordered the SR are getting a killer deal, and that’s awesome for them...but not I’m not rich enough to put myself on a “pedestal” as you would like to explain it. I bought the base 3, I make an honest living, but to see others getting the same exact people get the car I ordered for thousands of dollars less within a month is frustrating.

And like I said, I was going to call Tesla and downgrade to the SR (like they said we could in the blog post) and they appeared to walk that back to.

I’m going to enjoy my car, but just because I am doesn’t mean we can’t admit Tesla did some scammy stuff offering a fake SR to them give everyone the SR+ a month later.

Remember, as much as we love Elon...he literally tweeted “Saudi Arabia and Funding Secured” which wasn’t very honest...this wasn’t an “honest mistake” either, it was to get people to spend thousands of more dollars on the SR+ instead of the SR...then shortly after give SR owners the same car as the SR+

Exactly. It's weird how so many can't understand this simple concept.
SR+ buyers were scammed. Plain and simple. People who bought previous cars that eventually didn't come with the options they wanted, or dropped in price cannot be compared.
Hmmm... It's like buying a P3D over an LR RWD on Monday, paying the premium, then being told Friday that anyone who ordered the LR on Monday is actually getting the P3D, with some mostly useless features deactivated.
SR buyers, who paid the least of all, got the most.
Fools like me, who desperately attempted to order a car in Q1 to help with sales, get screwed. Had I waited for the scam to unfold, just 11 days later in my case... so much less stress.
SR has front seat heaters, fog lights, and battery ever so slightly hobbled, which is meaningless. The differences are minute at best.
This is why I'm trying to find a way to save Tesla money and have them differentiate the two identical models more before advertising and arranging to get SR+ buyers organized to apply legal pressure for the scam suffered.
Surely Tesla can hobble the SR more or unlock the SR+ more to differentiate the two.

You must be thinking that they planned this all along. I mean, it wouldn't be a scam if they made up their mind about the downgraded SR+ just before they announced it.

If we're contending that they've been plotting this for months, or years, or whatever.... Do you think they KNEW the SR+ would outsell the SR 6-to-1? Or you think that's not accurate? Or you think they were going to cancel the SR even if the SR was the one outselling the SR+ 6-to-1?

Anyway, I sort of figured they went to tool up for the SR and ran the numbers and thought "whoa, without better sales volume on the SR, building the car with different parts and different procedures is way more expensive than we thought." So I was guessing the combination of actually going to build the thing (instead of just talking about it) and their sales numbers led them to the SR+ decision.

Exactly. It's weird how so many can't understand this simple concept.
SR+ buyers were scammed. Plain and simple. People who bought previous cars that eventually didn't come with the options they wanted, or dropped in price cannot be compared.
Hmmm... It's like buying a P3D over an LR RWD on Monday, paying the premium, then being told Friday that anyone who ordered the LR on Monday is actually getting the P3D, with some mostly useless features deactivated.
SR buyers, who paid the least of all, got the most.
Fools like me, who desperately attempted to order a car in Q1 to help with sales, get screwed. Had I waited for the scam to unfold, just 11 days later in my case... so much less stress.
SR has front seat heaters, fog lights, and battery ever so slightly hobbled, which is meaningless. The differences are minute at best.
This is why I'm trying to find a way to save Tesla money and have them differentiate the two identical models more before advertising and arranging to get SR+ buyers organized to apply legal pressure for the scam suffered.
Surely Tesla can hobble the SR more or unlock the SR+ more to differentiate the two.
My friend, it's not a scam, it's more of fulfilling a promise of 35k car on the back of SR+ owners. It's a scam if Tesla somehow benefits from it, but instead it alienated all the SR+ owners in the process, myself included.

Here's what's going to happen, I believe.

1. SR will go away or at least be bundled with AP to recoup the cost. If Elon couldn't make 35k with planned standard cloth, plain sound system and non of the goodies, it sure is not making much if not at all with the SR+ limited SR now. Now I understand some people claims selling SR as limited SR+ helps with production process, etc. That's true to an extend until the material cost adds up.
2. SR+ order drops significantly. Unless buyers are not doing any research and know the difference between current SR and SR+ is virtually negligible.

I believe there will be differentiation between SR and SR+, there has to be. Only a fool will take SR+ over SR as it currently stands. As I've been telling my friends that are interested in buying, you are not going to get a cheaper/value Tesla than the 35k SR. Even if price drops, so will the tax credit. People can stop dreaming about the renewed 7k tax credit because with Trump in the white house and a senate majority in the foreseeable future, it ain't happening.

BUY THE SR now, especially those who don't need/want autopilot. For those that want autopilot, I suggest wait 'til end of June to pull the trigger. If what we have seen the past couple months are of any indication, good deals are coming.

You must be thinking that they planned this all along. I mean, it wouldn't be a scam if they made up their mind about the downgraded SR+ just before they announced it.

If we're contending that they've been plotting this for months, or years, or whatever.... Do you think they KNEW the SR+ would outsell the SR 6-to-1? Or you think that's not accurate? Or you think they were going to cancel the SR even if the SR was the one outselling the SR+ 6-to-1?

Anyway, I sort of figured they went to tool up for the SR and ran the numbers and thought "whoa, without better sales volume on the SR, building the car with different parts and different procedures is way more expensive than we thought." So I was guessing the combination of actually going to build the thing (instead of just talking about it) and their sales numbers led them to the SR+ decision.

Well said. Tesla rearranges things frequently and they must have decided there weren't enough takers for the manual cloth seat 35k version to invest in resources to produce it and profit margins wouldn't be sustainable. They opened the floodgates to the SR and SR+ in March and probably realized a ton of more people bought the SR+ and will just can the SR very soon. Anyone on the fence for a SR without autopilot should order ASAP or hold their peace. SR+ don't deserve more goodies like unlocking speakers because it will just piss off the people who bought the full PUP and paid much more. Tesla is disorganized but don't consider them malicious just a horribly managed and erratic PR system.

Last edited:
I don’t get how people don’t get this.

They had a 2 week delivery for the SR...that was a straight up lie since it appears the car was never manufactured with cloth.

Tesla isn’t dumb enough to announce a car with cloth seats available in two weeks if it hadn’t even been “tooled” yet...they never planned on releasing it.

Like I said, for those who got the SR...good for them! They got one heck of a car!

Imagine if this happened with the iPhone XR when they announced the XS and XS Max...the XR costs $250 less and was advertised as a lesser phone. If Apple gave XR owners the XS or XS Max for cheaper and just limited the RAM, that would be a slap in the face to everyone who bought the XS and XS Max. It’s not a hard concept to understand...but I realize I’m on a Tesla forum so it will be met with resistance.

I don’t get how people don’t get this.

They had a 2 week delivery for the SR...that was a straight up lie since it appears the car was never manufactured with cloth.

Tesla isn’t dumb enough to announce a car with cloth seats available in two weeks if it hadn’t even been “tooled” yet...they never planned on releasing it.

Like I said, for those who got the SR...good for them! They got one heck of a car!

Imagine if this happened with the iPhone XR when they announced the XS and XS Max...the XR costs $250 less and was advertised as a lesser phone. If Apple gave XR owners the XS or XS Max for cheaper and just limited the RAM, that would be a slap in the face to everyone who bought the XS and XS Max. It’s not a hard concept to understand...but I realize I’m on a Tesla forum so it will be met with resistance.

Same thing happened when the Model 3 came out. Remember the delivery estimates which were overly ambitious for the standard range? Kept saying 2 months or so but ended up not being true and ultimately was 1.5 years late. Tesla time has always been overly ambitious and this is nothing new. Advanced summon to work like calling a pet, FSD cross country tour in 2016 just to recall a few. Elon timelines are always overly ambitious, most people hate it but that's how he operates. Tesla most likely wanted to gauge interest before committing to make it.

Imagine if Apple announced a product that would simultaneously charge a phone and a watch, and gave it a name and showed pictures, and gave a date for when you could buy it. Then imagine the date slipped, but there were still references to the product found in their code and it was still mentioned on their site... until one day, much later, they announced that it would never be released after all, because they just couldn’t get it to work as desired.

Nobody’s immune to plans going awry.

And now it gets even worse.

Just read that the SR will have heated front seats.

So for my $6300:
  • I get a pile of stress and regret
  • A reversal of my 13 years of intense fanboyism
  • 2 useless fog lights (really.. how often will they change my life)
  • 2 useless tweeters (SR+ sound is crap already. Only good for NPR/Podcast.)
  • 20 useless miles of range (can charge to 100%)
That's it.

Complete and total scam.

There's zero about the SR+ making it better than the SR for me, and most people. I mean, it's stupid for me to even compare them since they are the same car!

I thought maybe some people would suggest useful upgrades we could ask Tesla about, but it seems very few understand what happened here, or they transfer their butt-hurt from P3D prices dropping over time or similar.

If the Model 3 wasn't the best car in the world I'd never buy from Tesla again; the dozen or so people I have lined up to buy will be warned. The irony and conflict is real.

Edit:

Forget the performance Model Y I was 100% set on. I'll get the Rivian SUV instead, mid-range, loaded. 0-60 3 seconds. After this I'm done with Tesla; can't even get calls returned (and still waiting for my $3200 Model Y refund). They completely reversed my attitude in just two weeks. I was blinded by them before this.
Thanks Tesla for forcing positive change on the world! You've served your purpose.
Musk was my hero, and still is from a technology point of view, but he *needs* to offer Cathie Wood the CEO position, and get some actual non-psychos in marketing. Zac and Jesse already offered. They'd undoubtedly do it for free. Gen Ben Sullins involved as well. Intel has done it with YTers, why not Tesla?
The YT community is in touch with average people; Telsa is high on battery solvent fumes.
Musk should abandon micromanaging everything and focus on tech. What a huge disappointment.

Last edited:
And now it gets even worse.

Just read that the SR will have heated front seats.

So for my $6300:
  • I get a pile of stress and regret
  • A reversal of my 13 years of intense fanboyism
  • 2 useless fog lights (really.. how often will they change my life)
  • 2 useless tweeters (SR+ sound is crap already. Only good for NPR/Podcast.)
  • 20 useless miles of range (can charge to 100%)
That's it.

Complete and total scam.

There's zero about the SR+ making it better than the SR for me, and most people. I mean, it's stupid for me to even compare them since they are the same car!

I thought maybe some people would suggest useful upgrades we could ask Tesla about, but it seems very few understand what happened here, or they transfer their butt-hurt from P3D prices dropping over time or similar.

If the Model 3 wasn't the best car in the world I'd never buy from Tesla again; the dozen or so people I have lined up to buy will be warned. The irony and conflict is real.

Edit:

Forget the performance Model Y I was 100% set on. I'll get the Rivian SUV instead, mid-range, loaded. 0-60 3 seconds. After this I'm done with Tesla; can't even get calls returned (and still waiting for my $3200 Model Y refund). They completely reversed my attitude in just two weeks. I was blinded by them before this.
Thanks Tesla for forcing positive change on the world! You've served your purpose.
Musk was my hero, and still is from a technology point of view, but he *needs* to offer Cathie Wood the CEO position, and get some actual non-psychos in marketing. Zac and Jesse already offered. They'd undoubtedly do it for free. Gen Ben Sullins involved as well. Intel has done it with YTers, why not Tesla?
The YT community is in touch with average people; Telsa is high on battery solvent fumes.
Musk should abandon micromanaging everything and focus on tech. What a huge disappointment.

Are you incapable of waiting until we actually see what the SR lock looks like? I'm sure Tesla is busy with the Autonomy day and they'll get to working on the software soon afterwards. The fact of the matter is that nobody knows what will and will not be locked.

Frankly, I'm happy for the SR purchasers if they get heated seats. It doesn't lessen my enjoyment of my car, and it does improve their enjoyment.

Are you incapable of waiting until we actually see what the SR lock looks like? I'm sure Tesla is busy with the Autonomy day and they'll get to working on the software soon afterwards. The fact of the matter is that nobody knows what will and will not be locked.

Frankly, I'm happy for the SR purchasers if they get heated seats. It doesn't lessen my enjoyment of my car, and it does improve their enjoyment.
What are the specs on your vehicle? Trying to figure out what type of Model 3 you have.

What are the specs on your vehicle? Trying to figure out what type of Model 3 you have.

It's in my signature. SR+, black on black, aeros. Delivered March 26th. I'm in the same boat as you two guys. I would be elated if Tesla threw us a bone and software unlocked some things, but I'm really happy with my car regardless. I count myself really lucky to be a Tesla owner at all, and I feel like the price I paid was more than fair.

Reactions: Sherlo and devlodha
It's in my signature. SR+, black on black, aeros. Delivered March 26th. I'm in the same boat as you two guys. I would be elated if Tesla threw us a bone and software unlocked some things, but I'm really happy with my car regardless. I count myself really lucky to be a Tesla owner at all, and I feel like the price I paid was more than fair.

I want a bone thrown in too then. I want FSD included for the $5000 I paid for EAP. AND not to mention the $thousand in price drop.

Reactions: Sherlo
------------------------------------------------------------

SR Model 3. Black interior/exterior, base wheels, AP added.

Base cost plus AP plus delivery times tax minus rebate

(($47,600 + $4000 + $1300) x 1.12) - $5000 = $52,900

---------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not quite following, the SR with AP should be:
(($47,600 + $4000 + $1300) x 1.12) - $5000 = $54,248 (not $52,900)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Price difference: $59,182 - $54,248 = $4,934 (not $6,282)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I lives in Ontario & not sure how does the BC Luxury Car tax work. If you add the $4K AP later and will you still be subjected to the additional 2% luxury tax on the WHOLE purchase price?

Last edited:
I am not quite following, the SR with AP should be:
(($47,600 + $4000 + $1300) x 1.12) - $5000 = $54,248 (not $52,900)
Price difference: $59,182 - $54,248 = $4,934 (not $6,282)

I lives in Ontario & not sure how does the BC Luxury Car tax work. If you add the $4K AP later and will you still be subjected to the additional 2% luxury tax on the WHOLE purchase price?

Thanks Hut, I feel 1348 times better! :) (52,900 does seem like a very weird number considering the multiplier! -- must have copied from a pre-build price or something -- will update in future references to state ~$5k). Still feeling the burn. Can't wait to see if Tesla will actually do something to downgrade the SR. All of the ones I've seen online so far are in fact the SR+. It's highly frustrating to pay so much more for the same car but more for the fact they'd pull that scam. I was intending to get a PY, but not anymore. Probably go with the Rivian unless Tesla makes this right. Model 3 is a temporary car for me, but for all those out there, especially in BC, who are keeping this car for a long time, many with financing, that 5k extra really stings, especially when considering the extremely minimal differences the SR will eventually have.

Last edited: