Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What could Tesla give SR+ buyers to differentiate it from the SR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t understand how you can’t realize that 99% of SR+ owners would gladly have bought the SR for $2K less if they only difference was removing the fog lights and 10% less range...

Most SR+ owners feel cheated since the SR and SR+ are basically the same car but we paid $2K more for no reason whatsoever.

And cloth seats. And basic audio. There were a handful of things taken out of SR vs SR+

I get that it was all smoke and mirrors for SR. But even if they had showed me what Basic SR was physically I’d still have chosen SR+.

I don’t understand how you can’t realize that 99% of SR+ owners would gladly have bought the SR for $2K less if they only difference was removing the fog lights and 10% less range...

Most SR+ owners feel cheated since the SR and SR+ are basically the same car but we paid $2K more for no reason whatsoever.
I'd like to see your data for the 99% claim ...

I understand what you're saying but there are more differences than og lights and range. The fact remains that you thought the SR+ for the price you paid was a reasonable value, just because something else is now, after the fact, what you consider a better value, doesn't invalidate the original. Things change all the time, in every industry, products get better, they get worse, whether or not you get good deal vs a great deal is often a matter of timing. There were people last year that bought there cars right after the change and got better back seats vs someone who had ordered just a day or two earlier. On the other hand there are people that got the alcantara headliner for ordering a few days before someone else.

It happens, it happens all the time, to everyone, it wasn't malicious, it wasn't intentional, they weren't out to get you. I ordered my long range and got a vin the next day, two days latter they came out with the midrange which I certainly would have considered if I'd known about it.

How about one of these to stick on your trunk?

cross.jpg

And cloth seats. And basic audio. There were a handful of things taken out of SR vs SR+

I get that it was all smoke and mirrors for SR. But even if they had showed me what Basic SR was physically I’d still have chosen SR+.
Yeah, I was not a fan of the cloth seats.

I told my buddy to get the SR before they officially pull it...I told him he’s getting the same car as me (minus fog lights/20 miles) but saving $2,000.

It's amazing how many people here can't see the argument as it's presented.
I'd prefer to keep the SR+ if it was substantially different to the SR. As it is, on the same exact day I could have purchased the same exact car for 5k less.
That's the point. Not that the Plus came out and I bought it, then it suddenly became a better deal (that actually happened as well), but that I was conned into a Plus based on differences with the SR.
The SR having physically identical hardware was not the deal as presented.
It was supposed to have an inferior interior with manual seats, mirrors and steering. No center console with USB. A physically lesser sound system, and a battery with fewer cells.
Maybe no physical fog lights, nor LED headlights.
It seemed prudent to pay the 5k extra in costs and tax to get the Plus, with its markedly physical differences.
After the fact, Tesla ended up giving out the *exact* same car, but calling it something else. The SR is the SR+.
Buying the SR+ was based on lies. What is so hard to understand?
I was hoping that maybe Tesla could give a good reason to not downgrade, by perhaps offering something to differentiate the models. 20 miles, a fallacy in itself due to the identical batteries, and useless fog lights do not in the slightest make the Plus worth 5k more than the non.
If Tesla can offer 5k worth of differences between the models, then I keep the Plus. Otherwise it's illogical to not downgrade, when the downgrade is for all intents and purposes in name only.
So simple. I feel I should advertise the downgrade after I do it to help others in my position who know no better, and accepted Tesla at their word.
Best case for all is Tesla offering something to substantially differentiate the models. It would cost the least and mean the most.

Last edited:
As I outlined, where I am it was about an extra 5k in costs and tax for the Plus over the SR. Even if it was only an extra dollar, my point would still stand. Same car, same day, different price.
Except that it isn't he same car. Just because the hardware is the same doesn't mean they are identical, the SR has software locks on a lot of features that are available on the SR+. Your assertion is the same as saying a bricked iPhone is the same as a fully functional one.

I hear ya, but those examples are not relevant unfortunately. That does suck either way. Almost as soon as I picked up the SR+, they dropped the SR+ plus AP by $1300 as well. I'm not even including that as it would fit in line with what you're saying. That's not what I'm complaining about / trying to solve.

There wasn't an SR+ only, then an SR+ that suddenly had more features for less.

The point is *had I purchased an SR, the same day (as I could have) as purchasing the SR+, I'd have the same car now*.

The same exact car. The same ID on the screen. The same everything.

My point here is to find a way not to apply for a refund. I'd much rather Tesla keep the money, but at least give people who paid so much more for an identical car something for it.
I bought a GoPro Fusion camera the other day for $399. If I had bought it the day before I would've paid $599. Tough cookies to the people who bought it for $599, the price of being an early adoptor I guess.
Btw, I have a SR+ picked up in late March of this year. I attempted to downgrade when I first heard it was being offered, and I was annoyed by the lack of communication and varied responses I was getting from Telsa, but truth is that yeah, I got what I paid for. Whatever awesome things happen in the future for some future customer is not for me to judge or complain about.

• Love
Reactions: Sherlo and dmurphy
As I outlined, where I am it was about an extra 5k in costs and tax for the Plus over the SR. Even if it was only an extra dollar, my point would still stand. Same car, same day, different price.

No, the SR+ is NOT the same car. It includes Autopilot and has other features unlocked.

And even if it were... what others pay for it is really none of your concern.

My wife's 2018 Enclave is selling right now for thousands less than I paid for it. What others pay for it doesn't mean a f<<<ing thing. I bought it, when I bought it, for what I paid for it, and that's that.

You're like the guy who thinks Red is "due" on the roulette wheel because Black has come in 5 times in a row... one has - literally - NOTHING to do with the other. Every spin of the wheel is a completely independent event, not related in any way.

Same with automobile transactions.

• Disagree
Reactions: GazUK67
Except that it isn't he same car. Just because the hardware is the same doesn't mean they are identical, the SR has software locks on a lot of features that are available on the SR+. Your assertion is the same as saying a bricked iPhone is the same as a fully functional one.

Please tell me about the differences. As far as I know they include a virtual cap on battery capacity at approximately 92%, front seat heaters turned off, and fog lights turned off. Oh, maybe 2 tweeters? What else is there?

No, the SR+ is NOT the same car. It includes Autopilot and has other features unlocked.

And even if it were... what others pay for it is really none of your concern.

My wife's 2018 Enclave is selling right now for thousands less than I paid for it. What others pay for it doesn't mean a f<<<ing thing. I bought it, when I bought it, for what I paid for it, and that's that.

You're like the guy who thinks Red is "due" on the roulette wheel because Black has come in 5 times in a row... one has - literally - NOTHING to do with the other. Every spin of the wheel is a completely independent event, not related in any way.

Same with automobile transactions.

You're like the guy who lacks reading comprehension.

The SR and the SR+ were both available for purchase on the same day for a different price; one was imaginary and one was real. The imaginary one was used to push people to the real one -- turns out they are the same car. The Plus did not include AP, nor did the SR.

The example you gave of your wife's car shows me you don't understand the argument. I can see why you don't care about others and what they pay. Me me me, and dog eat dog. Sorry, but I do care not only for the fact I was lied to, but also that others were. I care about my society in general, donate, volunteer, and go out of my way to help people whenever possible.

Maybe try to understand what the point of what I'm saying is before bringing up ridiculous nonsensical comparisons.

• Love
Reactions: GazUK67 and xtcEV
I bought a GoPro Fusion camera the other day for $399. If I had bought it the day before I would've paid $599. Tough cookies to the people who bought it for $599, the price of being an early adoptor I guess.
Btw, I have a SR+ picked up in late March of this year. I attempted to downgrade when I first heard it was being offered, and I was annoyed by the lack of communication and varied responses I was getting from Telsa, but truth is that yeah, I got what I paid for. Whatever awesome things happen in the future for some future customer is not for me to judge or complain about.

Fair enough.

It was never a case of a price drop though -- at least that's not my point. That did happen BTW, with AP included for $1300 less than what I paid, just days after my purchase. I don't care about that, and agree it's the price of early adoption.

The point is, you could have purchased, if in my area, the SR for $5k less, for the exact same car on the exact same day. It's not like the example of that (very cool!) camera that dropped in price. That's not what happened as you know. Eventually Tesla may get around to hobbling the SR, but the features they are removing are inconsequential. No fog lights, or heated front seats -- charge to 100% instead of 90%? It's the same car. It's either get a refund, or consider it a donation to Tesla. If they weren't so underhanded about the SR, then I'd not care about donating to them either.

I'll not complain about future awesomeness. I look forward to it and am happy for anyone who gets it.

I care about my society in general, donate, volunteer, and go out of my way to help people whenever possible

Don’t come off pretending to be all altruistic; you’re just upset that someone else is getting a better deal that you at the end of the day. That’s what this is all about, whether you admit that to yourself or not.

I’m willing to accept that sometimes I win, sometimes I lose. Might be worth trying.

Don’t come off pretending to be all altruistic; you’re just upset that someone else is getting a better deal that you at the end of the day. That’s what this is all about, whether you admit that to yourself or not.

I’m willing to accept that sometimes I win, sometimes I lose. Might be worth trying.

Actual LOL. I want everyone to be driving a Tesla. It's for the good of all. Is that altruistic? I'm not sure. My motivations down deep are probably based on survival instincts. Greed is a good one. I try to help others because I know that helping them helps me. How's that?

Only ants or white blood cells etc. can be truly altruistic. Is it terrible that I want universal health care for all, a level playing field for post-secondary education, or to eliminate poverty in a world where technology could long since have solved it? I bought a Toyota hybrid (one of the first buyers when it became available) back when petrol prices were still low, and paid a huge premium for it. Why? To teach people about the coming wave of electric cars, and why they are going to be so superior. Is that altruistic? Not wanting my tax dollars to go to scum-of-the-earth oil companies? Is it wrong for me to care about kids I don't even know who have to breathe polluted air?

Dude.. maybe we just think differently, but most people in my area I find are similar to me in the respects I've mentioned. We are not paranoid and afraid and only looking out for ourselves. So I'm not sure if your term 'pretending' applies to my millions of countrymen.

And, I'm not sore that someone else is getting a better deal. I can have the same deal as they received. Tesla already said that.

The whole point of this thread, in case you missed it, was to see what could *save* Tesla money by having them offer features that differentiate the SR from the Plus in a way that is commensurate to their price difference so that people don't opt to refund.

Do you get that?

I sometimes win and sometimes lose as well. It's part of life and occasionally there are forces beyond our control. I'm not even debating that. I'm wondering how people who are considering downgrading their vehicles (due to actual lies -- apologies for the strong language), can instead keep their same vehicle, save Tesla some money, and everyone walk away happy.

As it is, the Plus is absolutely not worth it with the differences that have materialized. Not in the slightest.

Many people will downgrade. Maybe Tesla could offer something at least a little better in the Plus. I think I made a list of suggestions that would be cheap/free for them.

Again, I'm only 'upset' that Tesla lied, which they did.

• Love
Reactions: GazUK67 and xtcEV
I ordered the SR+,I can understand the "logic" in the arguments but I don't share the view of the OP.

The people that ordered the SR got a freebie upgrade due to manufacturing and logistics costs.

(Would cost Tesla more money to "source" all the parts (and in logistics and manufacturing) for another configuration according to the SR specs then it would to just offer the SR customers the same config as SR+ with software limitations on some features and then discontinue the SR as a model.)

I got what I ordered and I didn't get a downgrade. If I'm crying my eyes out over something I can always downgrade and get the difference back.

Get over it! Talk about first world problems.

• Disagree
Reactions: GazUK67 and dmurphy
I ordered the SR+,I can understand the "logic" in the arguments but I don't share the view of the OP.

The people that ordered the SR got a freebie upgrade due to manufacturing and logistics costs.

(Would cost Tesla more money to "source" all the parts (and in logistics and manufacturing) for another configuration according to the SR specs then it would to just offer the SR customers the same config as SR+ with software limitations on some features and then discontinue the SR as a model.)

I got what I ordered and I didn't get a downgrade. If I'm crying my eyes out over something I can always downgrade and get the difference back.

Get over it! Talk about first world problems.

:) First world problems are a good thing. They're in fact a great thing, and helps drive technology forward. I don't think we should feel guilty for having such issues, but rather take action to help those who suffer third world problems. The technological spinoffs generated by companies like Tesla will undoubtedly help in that regard. We're already seeing massive global changes for the better, due to this one company!

You mentioned a very sound reason as to why Tesla dropped the SR spec in its advertised format. I entirely agree that that is the most likely reason they did so. The problem I have with Tesla is that in order for them to advertise the SR spec, with as low as a 2-week delivery threshold, is that they'd have already needed the SR components literally being assembled on the factory floor.

People should remove the fanboyism (as I now have), and just admit that Tesla lied about the SR. Not a biggie. They'll correct it apparently, but that doesn't change the fact that they lied.

:) First world problems are a good thing. They're in fact a great thing, and helps drive technology forward. I don't think we should feel guilty for having such issues, but rather take action to help those who suffer third world problems. The technological spinoffs generated by companies like Tesla will undoubtedly help in that regard. We're already seeing massive global changes for the better, due to this one company!

You mentioned a very sound reason as to why Tesla dropped the SR spec in its advertised format. I entirely agree that that is the most likely reason they did so. The problem I have with Tesla is that in order for them to advertise the SR spec, with as low as a 2-week delivery threshold, is that they'd have already needed the SR components literally being assembled on the factory floor.

People should remove the fanboyism (as I now have), and just admit that Tesla lied about the SR. Not a biggie. They'll correct it apparently, but that doesn't change the fact that they lied.

I think it's a bit hasty to conclude that Tesla lied. Given their track record, I think it's much more likely that they were overly optimistic about their ability to deliver a different trim level at that cost.

If anything, Tesla is now offering the off-menu SR to avoid being labeled liars over their promise of the $35,000 model.