Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What did you drive before getting the model S and why did you change?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Being a petrolhead en having been reading multiple specialized magazines since I was a kid, it keeps puzzling me that ever since I first saw Model S, I lost interest in any ICE whatsoever. That's what Model S is about: it's the next level, it's different, it's mobility 2.0. I had to step in.

BTW, currently 2009 A5, the best car I've driven so far. Has to go though, just keeping an old V70 out of range anxiety :crying:

My last car was a fully loaded '09 Cadillac CTS AWD. I still consider that to be one of the best car's I've ever owned or driven.

I usually (not always) replace my cars every 3 years, but hung on to the CTS an extra year waiting for the Model S. My primary motivation was the cost of fuel. The Model S was a bit more expensive than usual for me, but I drive around 24,000 miles (39,000 km) a year, and with gas (today) at $1.35/liter the savings add up fast.

My daily driver before was a Hyundai Elantra 2007. Still have, now my wife drives it, she is scared to drive the Tesla but loves to ride in it.

1. Elon Fan, following him since I heard about roadster 2013
  2. I love technology.
  3. $7,500 tax credit.
  4. Be part of something unique.
  5. Still was too expensive for me but thanks to TSLA stock. 75% of car almost paid for (still need to sell them though lol).

2010 Porsche Panamera 4S

My Model S P85 is a very similar style sport sedan, but the MS is faster and cheaper to operate and has slightly more utility/space, seats 5 instead of 4. The Panamera is the best ICE sport sedan I've ever had, but I do not want another ICE car after living with the Model S for the last 4 months. When I drive around in the Model S it makes all other cars seem obsolete, the instant torque and response is fantastic, it rides great(very comfortable for such great handling), it is quieter, and I don't need premium unleaded or oil anymore! I could not be happier with a car than I have been so far with MS.

2007 VW GTI with 120,000 miles and two major engine repairs (both warrantied, second one because the dealer screwed up the first one).

Ever since I took a power electronics class in college I have always wondered why electric motors didn't power vehicles. By the time I finally had the resources and location to actually build an electric car the LEAF was about to arrive, and the Model S had a chance of happening. I decided to wait for a factory solution. So when pricing was announced, and I could afford one it was all over.

Black 2011 Audi Q5 3.2

Loaded: it had every upgrade, package, whistle, and bell available from the factory.
Sold in 2013 with only 27900 mi on it, to make way for Model S.

Loved the Q5, though it consistently got only 11-12 miles per gallon around town ($3750 a year of 91 octane fuel!!!). (About 22-23mpg on long freeway drives.)

Favorite features:
• Parking sensors
• Two SD card slots, which I stored 64GB of music on
• USB connector in the glove compartment, where I stored an iPod
• Nice multimedia UI and navigation system
• Articulated headlights
• Comfortable

Least favorite aspect of owning Audi:
• Service was awful, dreaded taking it in.

I really miss the parking sensors (my Model S was ordered just before they became available from Tesla). Hoping to get retrofit as long as Tesla doesn't get greedy/punitive w/ parts & labor.

I had a 2008 Subaru WRX and a 2002 Honda S2000 prior to the Model S.

I really disliked the WRX mainly because the interior was terrible, the car was slow, and the ride was horrible. It did the job for towing and having a hatch back was convenient. The S2000 on the other hand was one of the best cars I have ever owned. I just loved driving that car but the wife said no to keeping two cars anymore.

I drove a lot of other cars trying to find out if the Model S was going to be worth it and nothing came close.

I still have a Lexus LS 460. Only drive on long trips.

I also have a LS460 but the L Exec Class 2007. In some ways a nicer car to drive (certainly more expensive). Very comfortable for long trips - an ideal chauffer car with a reclining back seat with ottoman and two massages. However, both my wife and I have more fun in the Tesla and we will probably put less than 3000 miles on the Lexus this year.

I replaced a 2005 Audi A6 Quattro 3.2 with all the options. Had driven and intended to buy the A7 when it came out with the Diesel engine in the US but the Model S just made it look lame. Loving it so far after 5 months and 5000+ miles.

Hi all, I have searched the forum and couldn't find a decicated post about what you have driven before and why you choose the drive the model s...

Here is the thread with 455 Posts:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...were-not-getting-a-Model-S-what-would-you-get

First Post from GG

icon7.gif
What car will you be replacing when you get the Model S?!

Thought this might make a fun topic while we kill time waiting for the Model S!

So, in 2+ years' time, what car - that you are presumably driving now - would you be swapping out for the Model S?

Mine's a 2004 Acura TL - been a reliable and fun family sedan but, at ~21 MPG (with premium gas), it's been relatively expensive to operate. By 2012, it'd be 8 years old with around 110,000 miles on it.

Looking forward to your posts and a diverse gaggle of cars that'll be making way for the Tesla!​

I had a Mercedes S550 that we leased and when we went to turn the lease we were going to keep it but MB wanted 20k more than book value so we just turned it in. That week we saw a news item about the S and decided to get it. We then waited for a little over two years for the Model S so in the mean time we stole our daughters Lexus RX350. It was most defiantly worth the wait

I had a Porsche 911 Turbo, and had another on order for the 2014 MY, but when I was reading about all the new Porsche changes (no more manual tranny offered, much longer wheelbase, etc.) if felt like they were losing some of the reason why I chose them since 2002 and purchased so many sports cars from them. I looked at other sports cars, (McLaren MP4-12c, etc) in the same price range, but ultimately I found that unlike Porsche, those vehicle were too flashy to be daily driven. The good thing about Porsche was that it was still semi-under the radar, since the cars range from $50k - 200k. The other competitors like McLaren were too flashy and have doors that open upwards which makes them hard to stay under the radar with. I feel that Porsche has really lost their way as of late, but I liked the ideologies of Tesla and McLaren, both offer software updates and are relatively new to the market. Since I can't daily drive the McLaren, I got the Tesla first, but after owning an EV, I don't know if the McLaren is still in the plans, unless they make an EV supercar with decent range.

I had a Porsche 911 Turbo, and had another on order for the 2014 MY, but when I was reading about all the new Porsche changes (no more manual tranny offered, much longer wheelbase, etc.) if felt like they were losing some of the reason why I chose them since 2002 and purchased so many sports cars from them. I looked at other sports cars, (McLaren MP4-12c, etc) in the same price range, but ultimately I found that unlike Porsche, those vehicle were too flashy to be daily driven. The good thing about Porsche was that it was still semi-under the radar, since the cars range from $50k - 200k. The other competitors like McLaren were too flashy and have doors that open upwards which makes them hard to stay under the radar with. I feel that Porsche has really lost their way as of late, but I liked the ideologies of Tesla and McLaren, both offer software updates and are relatively new to the market. Since I can't daily drive the McLaren, I got the Tesla first, but after owning an EV, I don't know if the McLaren is still in the plans, unless they make an EV supercar with decent range.

Great feedback from a fellow (former) Porsche owner. Thanks for input :cool: