Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What did you drive before getting the model S and why did you change?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honda Accord > Chevy Volt > Tesla Model S.

My decision to buy the MS was based on EV's moving this tech forward, not luxury. If I had to go back to ICE, I would go back to a reasonable Honda or Toyota; not a Lexus/BMW/Mercedes.

I drove a Nissan LEAF. I loved the car but I wanted more range.

I looked at the plug-in Prius but it wasn't really electric and it cost $40,000.

I thought for $50,000 I could have a Tesla Model S. Except when you look carefully you end up paying quite a bit more since you want the 80 kWh battery and most of the other options.

I think this is an interesting subject, when you think about why people buy certain vehicles it gets down to your past history. I have always been into cars, my father owned a garage with my uncle and I grew up working on everything imaginable. When I met my wife at age 24 she was driving a red Alfa Romeo and I had a red Jaguar XKE. We both loved cars of any kind as long as they were fun to drive. Fast forward 40 years and we begin to look at the environment, installing solar and trying to be a bit more green in all aspects of our life. For the last 5 years I was determined to have an all electric vehicle, what was out there at the time was not quite up to the range or fun to drive category. Until the Model S, this car is so fun to drive and beautiful to look at and it is all electric. Since I have owned Jaguars since 1970, the cost was a tad more than I would have normally spent but not that much more than if I was to purchase a new Jaguar XJ sedan. My career was in the automotive business, so cars were an important part of my life. I pinch myself every time I drive the Tesla just to make sure I'm not dreaming.

Great feedback from a fellow (former) Porsche owner. Thanks for input :cool:

Thanks texex, I was originally thinking that I might just be settling because I had the new car itch, but after reading more about the Model S before I received my order, and now living with it almost a month, I have no regrets so far. I'm from Texas as well went to SMU, but have a great many friends that are Texas Exes, hook 'em horns!

Last edited:
Model S and McLaren go well together, go for it, you won't be disappointed...

photo 2.JPG

I had a Porsche 911 Turbo, and had another on order for the 2014 MY, but when I was reading about all the new Porsche changes (no more manual tranny offered, much longer wheelbase, etc.) if felt like they were losing some of the reason why I chose them since 2002 and purchased so many sports cars from them. I looked at other sports cars, (McLaren MP4-12c, etc) in the same price range, but ultimately I found that unlike Porsche, those vehicle were too flashy to be daily driven. The good thing about Porsche was that it was still semi-under the radar, since the cars range from $50k - 200k. The other competitors like McLaren were too flashy and have doors that open upwards which makes them hard to stay under the radar with. I feel that Porsche has really lost their way as of late, but I liked the ideologies of Tesla and McLaren, both offer software updates and are relatively new to the market. Since I can't daily drive the McLaren, I got the Tesla first, but after owning an EV, I don't know if the McLaren is still in the plans, unless they make an EV supercar with decent range.

Model S and McLaren go well together, go for it, you won't be disappointed...

I recognize you from McLaren life, I recall you had a Gray S that you sold to get your desired Red S. I'm glad you're enjoy the color you initially wanted. My wife is in medical school, and I've got some investments I'm working on, so hopefully in the next couple of years we will see something materialize in the McLaren family, hopefully by then there will be some viable supercar that is electric or something that excites the senses like the current MP4. I was so tempted to just do it the last time I was in Dallas for a test drive. They had a grey / black version, with loads of CF that I liked, I left it to fate, I figured if it was there a week later when I had my test drive I would consider it. It ended up selling the day before I got there. Everything happens for a reason :)

grey/black looks great, very stealthy.... McLaren does have the P1 which is a hybrid supercar @ 900+ HP, but the price is insane at $1M+... they are also working on a less expensive P13 which will compete with the Porsche 911....

I recognize you from McLaren life, I recall you had a Gray S that you sold to get your desired Red S. I'm glad you're enjoy the color you initially wanted. My wife is in medical school, and I've got some investments I'm working on, so hopefully in the next couple of years we will see something materialize in the McLaren family, hopefully by then there will be some viable supercar that is electric or something that excites the senses like the current MP4. I was so tempted to just do it the last time I was in Dallas for a test drive. They had a grey / black version, with loads of CF that I liked, I left it to fate, I figured if it was there a week later when I had my test drive I would consider it. It ended up selling the day before I got there. Everything happens for a reason :)

- - - Updated - - -

true, two top of class American cars....

I think the Model S goes better with that ford GT on the left!

Hi all, I have searched the forum and couldn't find a decicated post about what you have driven before and why you choose the drive the model s.
I am awaiting delivery a P85 full options (black interiour/exterior, except for the winter package and rear faced seats), living in Holland and I am driving a Porsche Cayenne Turbo (1st gen). Why I choose to buy a model s? That is a nobrainer!

• We pay in Holland 1,85 euro for one liter of euro95, the cayenne drives 6km to a liter, so, driving a model s will save me a lot of money!
  • As a business owner you get a lot, really a lot of profit driving a electric vehicle in Holland. My model s costs around 120K including VAT. Obviously the VAT(21%) is returned, we get also some other tax investment rebates. Netto price will be around 30K!
  • Holland is, as I understand, a pioneer in Europe and therefore the government is investing heavily in CO2 neutral cars, like the EV's. Because of that we drive the car for 5 years without paying road tax, no private use tax (if you drive business car privately, you have to pay a percentage for that) and no BPM, which also a kind of extra tax (20% ?) when you buy a car.

So, some quick math, some negotiating on the finance and I ordered the car within a week! By the way, bizar, this is the first car I ever bought through the Internet :)

Let me know what you prevous car was and why you choose to buy a model s,

Grtz ingmar

That is a thing that makes me wish I lived in Holland (or Norway for that matter). The German government shows absolutely no interest in EVs, apart from speaking about how important they are and that we should have a million of them on the roads by 2022 (or somesuch). How on earth they intend to accomplish that goal is beyond me.

I drive a 2004 BMW 330 Cd, and my next car is going to be an EV for sure. I haven't decided yet which. My current favorites would be either Renault Zoe, BMW Active Tourer (albeit being a PHEV), the VW E-Golf or Tesla Gen III (Model E?).

Why do I want to change? Mainly because I think driving an EV is fun, especially on the short range commutes/errand runs I have nowadays (which was different when I bought my current car). It certainly wouldn't be for economics like with you, because my current car is very economical (and reliable), and as said above, there are hardly any incentives here for buying and owning an EV.

grey/black looks great, very stealthy.... McLaren does have the P1 which is a hybrid supercar @ 900+ HP, but the price is insane at $1M+... they are also working on a less expensive P13 which will compete with the Porsche 911....

I've been reading about the P13, P1, etc, but I will probably hold out at least two years at first anyway. Some other priorities on the horizon first, by then I'm sure wifey will want something new, although her purchases seem to be considerably less, she's got a 2009 RAV4, now. When she does get done with school it depends what part of town she works in, some of the hospitals are in the seedy parts of town, so I wouldn't want her to be driving something that even attracts a minimal amount of attention. We would probably keep the RAV4 as a backup car at that point anyway.

When I test drove the McLaren, I was really only driving it to rule it out because I was so set on the 2014 911 Turbo S, but when I drove it, I was blown away and how easily it could be daily driven and just how quickly and seemingly effortlessly it does things.

[QUOTE

I drive a 2004 BMW 330 Cd, and my next car is going to be an EV for sure. I haven't decided yet which. My current favorites would be either Renault Zoe, BMW Active Tourer (albeit being a PHEV), the VW E-Golf or Tesla Gen III (Model E?).

[/QUOTE]

How about BMW i3 or i8? i3 will be available this fall.

Hi all, I have searched the forum and couldn't find a decicated post about what you have driven before
There was an old one, but it was back in in early 2012, I think. I drove cars borrowed from family.

and why you choose the drive the model s.
There were surveys on that. I voted "It's all electric". :)

It's literally the first car I've bought, that's how much I liked the model S.

- - - Updated - - -

As it stands, the Model S is a tough sell to family and friends. There are no tax credits or incentives in my part of Canada. My mom thinks I should just buy a house instead.
That's the reaction a lot of people have when I tell them how much the total cost of my car was. I suspect Model S is an easier sell in places with higher housing prices! :biggrin:

My friends think winter will kill it. :rolleyes:

However, that will all change when they see/ride in it!
Sadly, even getting a Model S did not convince any of my family or friends to get one. The people who would like one can't afford it, and the people who can afford it... well, they haven't been convinced yet. (Sigh.)

Nope on both. i3 imho is one of the ugliest vehicles on this planet, i8 way out of my price range plus useless for my needs (no room for family/kids/shopping), and way too flashy. I prefer vehicles that "blend in" so to speak.

Well, Tesla does not exactly blend in....but I know what your are saying. BMW came up with that [FONT=arial, sans-serif]bi-modal trunk design and now they are trying to put that in the front.[/FONT]

2004 Infiniti g35 and 2011 Volvo XC90 for me - trading in the g35 and won't use the Volvo now with the model s hugeness.

bought it because technology is my passion, especially when leveraged to improve the human condition. I believe Elon and team have created a special car, brand, and hopefully movement and I'm happy to be a tiny part of it.

9 days to delivery.....

Well, Tesla does not exactly blend in....but I know what your are saying. BMW came up with that [FONT=arial, sans-serif]bi-modal trunk design and now they are trying to put that in the front.[/FONT]

About Tesla, well the roadster is flashy, but Model S it think really blends in. At least here where there are quite a few Jaguar XF, Maserati QP and some Japanese coupes on the road which look quite similar from a distance. Of course it's a huge car, but by "blending in" I meant styling-wise, not size-wise.
One has to admit that an i3 or i8 really stands out, even a Zoe with its blue light accents is quite a head-turner (at least at the moment, perhaps not anymore so in a few years).