Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Do YOU Call the Pedal on the Right?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You dont use gas in a diesel. It would be the diesel pedal. Plus some diesels the skinny pedal opens an intake and adds fuel
An older diesel will quite happily run on gasoline. In fact diesel only became a proper fuel in the 80s, before it could be whatever the seller wanted it to be. And until the 70s diesel engines used gasoline as fuel with a lubricant anyway.

Its a mute point because outside the usa where diesels are more common you get gas if you get diesel too. If you mean benzene/gasoline specifically you call it petrol.

An older diesel will quite happily run on gasoline. In fact diesel only became a proper fuel in the 80s, before it could be whatever the seller wanted it to be. And until the 70s diesel engines used gasoline as fuel with a lubricant anyway.

Its a mute point because outside the usa where diesels are more common you get gas if you get diesel too. If you mean benzene/gasoline specifically you call it petrol.
I'm sorry... no. That was wrong on so many levels. Gasoline will not run happily in older diesels. Gasoline will autoignite way early in the cycle. Too high of compression. The original diesel engine was made to run mainly on kerosene mixed with oil which is closely related to diesel. Diesels, even older ones, usually run on a compression ratio of around 17-24:1 gasoline starts auto igniting in engines waaaaay easier than that. You could design a diesel engine to run on gasoline but it would have to be specifically designed for that purpose.

Gas is short for gasoline, you get diesel for a diesel. Just because you "get gas" doesn't mean gas is the right term. Diesel is very common in the USA too. Every other vehicle where I live is diesel.

Lastly petrol is short for petroleum... petroleum is the scientific name for what we call crude oil.

Reactions: rpiotro
I'm sorry... no. That was wrong on so many levels. Gasoline will not run happily in older diesels. Gasoline will autoignite way early in the cycle. Too high of compression. The original diesel engine was made to run mainly on kerosene mixed with oil which is closely related to diesel. Diesels, even older ones, usually run on a compression ratio of around 17-24:1 gasoline starts auto igniting in engines waaaaay easier than that. You could design a diesel engine to run on gasoline but it would have to be specifically designed for that purpose.

Gas is short for gasoline, you get diesel for a diesel. Just because you "get gas" doesn't mean gas is the right term. Diesel is very common in the USA too. Every other vehicle where I live is diesel.

Lastly petrol is short for petroleum... petroleum is the scientific name for what we call crude oil.

There was no dieselfuel until the 70s. Diesels ran on petrol often mixed with oil.
And no, older diesels (pre 90s) run completely fine on petrol you just get issues with the lack of lubrication from petrol.

Is it a pot? Not sure how reliable they are for precision situations. Carbon builds up, the resistive wire can break, dirt causes problems. I woulda guessed an optical solution. But I don't work for Elon.

I don't know about the ones in Teslas, but in gas cars with throttle-by-wire (which is pretty common after 2000-2005 or so), the there are three pots on the pedal, and the ECU will reduce power, or cut power entirely, if all three signals don't agree with each other.

My 2002 Corvette has 3 pots on the accelerator pedal, but two pots on the throttle body itself, which seems a little weird to me. The system is only reliable as the least reliable part, and the throttle body is bolted to the engine (with its constant vibrations), whereas the pedal is not. So you'd think the throttle body would be the bigger risk, but it gets less redundancy. Go figure.

IDK, there are so many types of fuels for vehicles, some crude oil based like cars/trucks/planes...and then plant based...or water based..

No idea what we should call it. Guess whatever your vehicle runs on makes most sense. For us, accelerator?

I still call it the gas pedal. Even on a gasoline powered car, calling it the gas pedal isn't correct, because it doesn't control the amount of "gas" going to the engine. It controls the amount of air going to the engine. So by that reasoning, since it's never accurate to call it a gas pedal under any circumstances, I feel comfortable doing it on my EV as on my gasoline powered cars.

...calling it the gas pedal isn't correct, because it doesn't control the amount of "gas" going to the engine. It controls the amount of air going to the engine.
No: it controls the amount of gas and air going into the car. The flow of fuel isn't a constant.

So technically speaking calling it JUST the gas pedal isn't accurate but calling it the "Combined Flow of Gas and Air Pedal" is a mouthful.

No: it controls the amount of gas and air going into the car. The flow of fuel isn't a constant.

So technically speaking calling it JUST the gas pedal isn't accurate but calling it the "Combined Flow of Gas and Air Pedal" is a mouthful.

It does not control the amount of gas, the electronic control unit, carburetor or mechanical fuel injection system controls the amount of fuel, based on the amount of air flowing into the engine.

The gas pedal just opens or closes the throttle body in the intake, or on throttle body-less designs, controls how much the intake valves open.

Edit: Actually I suppose you are right in certain cars, especially ones running a lamba tune which uses the throttle position sensor to determine the amount of fuel to use. Some cars also go open loop and run a roughly fixed amount of fuel at wide open throttle.

Those arguing that on modern ICE buckets that the pedal "doesn't control the gas" are incorrect. That's tantamount to saying that pressing the pedal on the right does not make your vehicle accelerate/maintain speed.

Modern gas engines are complex systems. Technically, the FIRST thing that happens in the increase of flow into the combustion chamber. But air alone doesn't power the vehicle. When you press the accelerator in an ICE bucket, a combination of events takes place including air intake, fuel flow, spark ignition, etc.

To say that "pressing the accelerator controls the air flow" is like saying that all it takes to get to the moon is pushing the launch button.

ETA: And you are sucking the fun out of a silly topic.

Last edited:
Reactions: rpiotro