Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Do YOU Call the Pedal on the Right?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The gas pedal.

Language doesn't keep up with the times. We used to put our cars in a "car park," so we turned park into a verb and called it "parking the car." Then we started calling the places we put the cars "parking lots" instead of car parks. Older folks like me still "tape" our shows and "film" our kids. We ask, "are you sure you dialed the right number?" We "roll" down the windows on our Teslas.

Gas pedal wasn't even appropriate for ICE vehicles but we still used it.
When you press on the Accelerator, it opens your intake to allow for more airflow.
When you press on the accelerator in an ICE bucket, it also increase the flow of fuel

On a diesel engine it does increase the fuel flow so gas pedal is appropriate.

But diesel fuel is still a liquid. It only becomes gas after combustion.
When it was called the "gas" pedal, I (and I believe most) used it as short for gasoline (not "gas vs. liquid"). From that perspective, technically (and pedantically), calling it a "gas" pedal in a diesel vehicle is incorrect :);)

And as a reminder, this is all frivolous conversation not to be taken very seriously

The gas pedal.

Language doesn't keep up with the times. We used to put our cars in a "car park," so we turned park into a verb and called it "parking the car." Then we started calling the places we put the cars "parking lots" instead of car parks. Older folks like me still "tape" our shows and "film" our kids. We ask, "are you sure you dialed the right number?" We "roll" down the windows on our Teslas.

I lower the windows on mine. And at 70 years old I also stopped saying "tape this" or "film that" a long time ago. Also that pedal on the far right stopped being a throttle a some time ago. The throttle is controlled by computer now.

Reactions: Taxvictim