Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you do with your fob at the beach?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Waiting on delivery of a MX (picking up next week!) so this is my first experience with a Tesla.

With my current ICE car, when I go swimming, I leave my valuables in my car and then put my key in a coded door hanger lockbox on my car's door handle.

My understanding is that with the Tesla when the FOB is near the car, it unlocks. So I'm assuming I couldn't do it the same way as before since the fob would be near the car, keeping it unlocked.

Curious to hear how others have (or would) handle this.

You could also try putting your fob in an RF shielded pouch inside the lockbox. I purchased pouches from R A Mayes for all my fobs. Interestingly, the ones I purchased in 2013 for my S work very well....with the fob in the sealed pouch, it is not recognized by the car no matter the location of the fob. I purchased two more in 2016 for my X but the shielding doesn't seem to be as good. My X kept unlocking itself with the fob in the pouch inside the vehicle. I see that Mayes now has another newer pouch which seems to have better shielding .. may have to purchase new ones.

RA Mayes | EMC, RF, Microwave and Environmental Test Systems

I should note: I can't take my phone with me , gets left in the car. (Otherwise I'd either have to leave it on beach or somehow bring it with me swimming)
I've had the same issue. The only solution I came up with is to leave the fob in a friend's ICE car (with an old-school key that he can take swimming). I wonder if the Model 3 access cards will be water-proof?

I've been wondering about a solution for this in case I decide to take the Tesla for surfing someday instead of the Prius. Is there a good smartwatch app that can unlock a Tesla? If so, the best option would be to leave the keys at home, and take the smartwatch into the water.