Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you enjoy most about driving your Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was collared by one of the company petrol heads who are all coming round mainly due to Youtube and Top Gear. He told me of a recent Top Gear episode with a Porsche EV I think and one of its features was that it "simulates" gear changes!
My comment was how stupid to copy such a limitation. They will need a trip to a fuel station next to stand in the cold and donate £80 to get that "warm fuzzy feeling" I certainly don't get.:D:p

That Taycan, which I assume he is referring to, does not simulate gear changes at all, it does, however, use a 2 speed gearbox which is actually a beneficial improvement and one I would hope Tesla would implement somewhere down the line. Single speed gearboxes have limitations which are pretty obvious.

That Taycan, which I assume he is referring to, does not simulate gear changes at all, it does, however, use a 2 speed gearbox which is actually a beneficial improvement and one I would hope Tesla would implement somewhere down the line. Single speed gearboxes have limitations which are pretty obvious.
What's the actual improvement in day to day driving for the average person (as in does not care about tracking the car)?

I see no reason for adding the complication of a second gear on road cars and even doubt the need for Tesla's to have top ends over 150mph apart from bragging rights. 100 mph is surely enough for anyone?

If you are wondering, I am no slouch and always "drive it like I stole it!" :)

If you have cycled for quite a while, then get off and start walking, it feels so slow, clumsy, ineffective and annoying.
When you are walking up a hill being pushed from behind.... then they stop pushing and you feel like lead!
If you drive a noisey public circuit go-kart around a track for a morning then get in pretty much any car, the feels silky smooth, responsive, so quiet and precise.
If you are anything like me at cross-country skiing or ice skating, it only takes a few moments to make walking in regular shoes on solid ground the most beautiful, dependable, safe thing to do.

These extremes are nothing - not even in sight of - the huge difference between doing absolutely anything and the huge pleasure I get sitting in my Model S Raven even before I actually start driving on a journey. Just the anticipation is like the bouquet of a fine wine. There is nothing that could make driving the car feel like a let down. The adaptive suspension is perfect for the country roads near my home. The smooth, strong acceleration that gives that limitless feeling of power combined with the vehicle's weight combined with a weightless feeling that is still subtle, tight, connected, controlled and so engaging.

With the right content, the sound system matches the same level of precision, and the whole driving experience is intoxicating. Even the contrast between the near silence of the ride and the stunning performance is only a tiny fraction of the overall sensation.

The car is so efficient too. Very close to my little Renault Zoe. This afternoon we had several hours of cold, bright sunshine that was enough for 30 miles of conscience free driving. Taking power directly from the sun and putting it so wonderfully at the control of my right foot is unbelievable. And the strength and smoothness with which regen (can) recapture spent joy and let you run it through the car again!

Then you drive under a bridge or gantry sign and the breaks slam on..... adrenaline all the way!

Last edited:
Whenever there is a car pooling situation everyone wants to ride with me. Recently a friend sent out a group text to find someone who could take his daughter and grandson to the airport. I offered to take them and so did another guy who drives a Maserati. They decided to ride with me, because they had never ridden in a Tesla.
You have rich friends

Smoothness. The response to the pedal. The seamless push forwards when you press the accelerator and the seamless retardation as you ease gently off again. How did we ever put up with the constant interruptions to flow caused by gears and brakes? The motor(s) feel like they are ideally suited to propelling a car whereas a conventional engine now seems to be entirely unsuited to its purpose ... the revs of an engine have to be endlessly managed to make sure the car can be driven in anything like a smooth manner. Driving an ICE car now feels quite agricultural.

Sitting in traffic I notice the fumes from other vehicles. I can often see the plumes, as well as smell them if it's a diesel. I imagine how transformed our urban areas would be if everyone was driving electric. It was only when we banned smoking in indoor public places that we started to realise how pervasive and awful the pollution was. Very quickly we not only accepted the change but wholeheartedly supported it, and felt annoyed if someone broke the new rules of behaviour. Once the change to electric really takes hold we will surely wonder why we didn't do it sooner!

Well said! We (my wife and I both) have become addicted to the completely linear and instant response of the car to the "throttle" ("gas" pedal?) input - so much pressure on the pedal seems to, in what seems to be a perfectly linear way, translate into a proportional push-in-the-back-G force. It's such an immediate and more connected-feeling driving experience. ICE feels agricultural and primitive by comparison. We also love the regen braking smoothness, smoother than almost any human can brake. Then there is the turn-in response - esp in the car with the MPP coilover setup and aftermarket wheels and tires. It's truly a driver's car in a way that makes the best ICE "driver's cars" (Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, etc) seem so primitive.

I've owned over 50 cars in my life so far, and this is by far my favorite to date. I love that at any given second, I can mash the pedal and get instant power. No downshifting, no waiting for rev matching. JUST GO! It's so instant. I love that I just plug it in at night and never have to go to a gas station. I love how quiet it is. I love that I can have it drive itself if I don't feel like it, but I can take over and kick ass when I want to. I love when I floor it, and am done and want to slow down, a portion of that energy used is put back into battery. I love that I nearly never have to use the brake pedal.