Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What does a Model Y deposit get you??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think this will be a big issue. In the end you may have to wait to get the configuration you want anyway. I learned on the 3 reservation, it's about getting what you want quickly, not being the first overall. You may think differently.

Yeah we'll have to see. If they release the AWD LR Premium first (which I think there's a reasonable chance of)... that's what I'm looking for. But I'm not going to get rushed into something I don't want.

It was a bigger deal with the Model 3 because Tesla sales people were telling folks the full $7500 federal tax credit was a risk to run out by June 2018. Also, there was a lot of demand for a lower priced Tesla so a lot of folks wanted to be first to own.

Neither of the above is a factor for the Y so I don't see much reason to pay a deposit now just to lower the risk of waiting several months longer than those who paid the deposit.

Lastly, the Model 3 has a majority of owners who are first time Tesla owners so demand was pretty high. I'm not so sure if that will be the case with the Y, but I suspect a decent percentage of Y buyers will 2nd Tesla owners so it would be easier to wait for delivery and we all know the risks with quality issues on the first couple thousand cars made, given Tesla track record.

I don't see any mention of a "deposit" just a reservation fee. And no details about refunds.
For long time Tesla/owners/fans/know Elon (or other Tesla employees) they probably have no fear. For most others - especially if you have fears of NOT being treated fairly, just wait for more info. DO NOT assume and do not buy what you don't want. wait til you see what you want and can read all the fine print before sending money. Simple, right?

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Your Pre-Order Payment covers the cost of these activities and other processing costs and is not a deposit for the Vehicle. Until your Vehicle is delivered to you, you may cancel your pre-order at any time, in which case you will receive a full refund of your Pre-Order Payment.

The 2,5 is fully refundable, check out the paragraph above from the purchase agreement.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: cityberty