Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What does do you get with full self driving if you are not part of the beta?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I sign up for the full self driving subscription for $199 a month, what features do I get immediately if I'm not invited into the beta? I like to drive my car how it it was intended on mountain roads, so I don't think I'm going to get a beta invite anytime soon. Just curious what other incentives there are to subscribe, if any. I have a 2022 Model S long range.

If I sign up for the full self driving subscription for $199 a month, what features do I get immediately if I'm not invited into the beta? I like to drive my car how it it was intended on mountain roads, so I don't think I'm going to get a beta invite anytime soon. Just curious what other incentives there are to subscribe, if any. I have a 2022 Model S long range.

Tesla itself describes exactly what the difference in feature set is between autopilot and FSD (regular FSD, not "beta"):

=============================

(relevant text describing the exact feature set)
Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 2.25.55 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: Ciaopec and EVNow
In my opinion, the only FSD features currently worth spending money on are Auto Lane Change and maybe Navigate on Autopilot (NoA). It's a first world problem for sure, but my wife's MY doesn't have FSD and I REALLY miss it when driving on the highway because you have to disengage Autopilot every time you need to change lanes. NoA can also be nice, so long as you require lane change confirmations (I find the AI to be hit or miss on lane changes so I like being able to cancel it). Both of these features work quite well and can greatly reduce the stress of daily driving.

As for the others - Autopark only makes itself available if you knock on wood three times, pray to the Tesla gods and the stars happen to be perfectly aligned; Summon is a neat trick to show your friends but not much more; ditto for Smart Summon (still waiting for the day it'll come pick me up in a parking lot!); and I tried Traffic and Stop Sign Control once pre-FSD Beta and didn't find it to be functionally useful at all.

As someone who's in the FSD Beta, I will say that they're making real progress and it's fun & exciting to be a participant...but they've really got a long way to go, and I don't think the current asking price ($12k or $199/month) is worth the current feature set. If you buy it outright, you need to have the mindset that it will get better over time (and understand that it's also a gamble in that no one really knows if/when these features will ever be delivered in a useful form). For $199, you could try it for a month and decide for yourself if it's worth it. You're going to get a million different opinions on here.

You get:

1. The ability to blow $12,000 on a hopeful, maybe, software upgrade in the many years ahead.

2. To curb a wheel trying out the AutoPark feature, which shows up VERY randomly, and when it does, you wonder why it takes three times as long to park as it would have taken to just do it yourself in the first place.

3. To watch in fear as you foolishly summon your Tesla in a parking lot, hoping it really won't hit that parked truck it just swung by, missing it by maybe 6 inches.

4. A "Safety Score" in your Tesla App which will require to you to drive like your grandparents for a week or four to FINALLY (maybe) get a score of 99 or 100, which will then, MAYBE, allow you to become a FSD Beta Tester. (Or, like us, after a week or four of this utter BS, you just say, "Never again will we 'buy' FSD just to become an application for a FSD Beta testing!")

5. Marvel at just what a sucker you are, especially when you've already "PURCHASED" FSD on about four or five Teslas so far, all wasted money, before you wised-up . . . .

You get:

1. The ability to blow $12,000 on a hopeful, maybe, software upgrade in the many years ahead.

2. To curb a wheel trying out the AutoPark feature, which shows up VERY randomly, and when it does, you wonder why it takes three times as long to park as it would have taken to just do it yourself in the first place.

3. To watch in fear as you foolishly summon your Tesla in a parking lot, hoping it really won't hit that parked truck it just swung by, missing it by maybe 6 inches.

4. A "Safety Score" in your Tesla App which will require to you to drive like your grandparents for a week or four to FINALLY (maybe) get a score of 99 or 100, which will then, MAYBE, allow you to become a FSD Beta Tester. (Or, like us, after a week or four of this utter BS, you just say, "Never again will we 'buy' FSD just to become an application for a FSD Beta testing!")

5. Marvel at just what a sucker you are, especially when you've already "PURCHASED" FSD on about four or five Teslas so far, all wasted money, before you wised-up . . . .
No further questions Your Honor.

In my opinion, the only FSD features currently worth spending money on are Auto Lane Change and maybe Navigate on Autopilot (NoA). It's a first world problem for sure, but my wife's MY doesn't have FSD and I REALLY miss it when driving on the highway because you have to disengage Autopilot every time you need to change lanes. NoA can also be nice, so long as you require lane change confirmations (I find the AI to be hit or miss on lane changes so I like being able to cancel it). Both of these features work quite well and can greatly reduce the stress of daily driving.

As for the others - Autopark only makes itself available if you knock on wood three times, pray to the Tesla gods and the stars happen to be perfectly aligned; Summon is a neat trick to show your friends but not much more; ditto for Smart Summon (still waiting for the day it'll come pick me up in a parking lot!); and I tried Traffic and Stop Sign Control once pre-FSD Beta and didn't find it to be functionally useful at all.

As someone who's in the FSD Beta, I will say that they're making real progress and it's fun & exciting to be a participant...but they've really got a long way to go, and I don't think the current asking price ($12k or $199/month) is worth the current feature set. If you buy it outright, you need to have the mindset that it will get better over time (and understand that it's also a gamble in that no one really knows if/when these features will ever be delivered in a useful form). For $199, you could try it for a month and decide for yourself if it's worth it. You're going to get a million different opinions on here.

Better over time might be longer then you own the car. That’s currently happening to many folks.

Reactions: Revolver3131
The replies here crack me up. I just bit the bullet to test what I get from this in the next 30 days for $200. Probably will cancel by next month, but navigate on auto pilot actually worked reasonably well for the 15 mile test drive I just went on. It seems to be a worthwhile $200 novelty for the month of Feb. Doubtful I'll get an FSD beta invite any time soon given that my safety score probably won't be near 100. Summon wouldn't pull the car out of my garage. Seems the garage door is too narrow for it.

Answer to original question: Everything listed on Telsa's website for FSD EXCEPT "Autosteer on City Streets," which is what is currently in its second year of "beta" testing with the selected 60,000 participants. There will be features of FSD that you will like and some that you will think are just stupid, but for $199 a month subscription with no commitment, why not try it out? $12K on the other hand? No, never.

...We had the same happen with our 3MR that had EAP a couple years back.
Just because it happened to you doesn't mean it will happen to OP.

How many times have you tried anyway?

It is not the easiest features to use and there is a learning curve here. But once you get the hang of it, it is very reliable. For 2+ years I used auto park to park everyday at work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ElectricIAC