Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What does FSD get me *today*?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve got a 2020 MS LR on order (delivered as a LR+?), can’t wait!

I ordered it with the “full self driving” option—but now I’m reading it’s really no such thing, and the features it does have are not really ready for prime time.... Yes/no?

So, what exactly does my $7K get me?

Did I get snookered? How successful would I be in trying to remove it before delivery (should I end up desiring to do so)? My understanding is it’s completely a software option?

Suggestions/recommendations?

OK, I guess that list is “not nothing,” thanks.

So, now the deeper question: is it “worth” it? I’m new to Tesla—I get the impression that things are constantly evolving (which would argue for keeping it), with an undercurrent of frustration that promised items can sometimes be vaporware (which would argue against). I don’t know how to balance that scale....

Also, any opinions on likelihood they’ll give it away in a future s/w update??

Reactions: AMPd
OK, I guess that list is “not nothing,” thanks.

So, now the deeper question: is it “worth” it? I’m new to Tesla—I get the impression that things are constantly evolving (which would argue for keeping it), with an undercurrent of frustration that promised items can sometimes be vaporware (which would argue against). I don’t know how to balance that scale....

Also, any opinions on likelihood they’ll give it away in a future s/w update??

People have differing opinions on whether the current features are worth it.

Give it away? No. Lots of development cost to as they work towards vision-based autonomy.
Have occasional special offers? Yes.

Reactions: doghousePVD
Give it away? No. Lots of development cost to as they work towards vision-based autonomy.
Have occasional special offers? Yes.

As more and more features roll out, Tesla has stated that the price for FSD will go up.
This is already shown to happen, since FSD used to be less than it is now.

OK, this is what I’m after, thanks! AIUI, there are some folks a bit miffed that they paid $X for Ludicrous Speed (evidently a paid software upgrade in the past?), which is now included in the Performance models’ baseline. I wondered if FSD might be the same story....

OK, this is what I’m after, thanks! AIUI, there are some folks a bit miffed that they paid $X for Ludicrous Speed (evidently a paid software upgrade in the past?), which is now included in the Performance models’ baseline. I wondered if FSD might be the same story....
Unlike paid Ludicrous upgrades, only some cars-with performance option can be upgraded since it is different hardware (motor).
All Teslas built now, have all the hardware required for FSD--it is simply a paid for Software upgrade, that can happen on delivery or later.
Yes, the price may go up, but there is no "strict" timeline for all the promised features. This is from a guy that paid for FSD 3 years ago when I bought my current Model s 90D---still waiting........
If you pay for FSD upon purchase, it can roll in to your loan. Th price is likely to go up......but nothing is certain on the timeline.
I use Navigate on Autopilot for over 90% of my driving, and it is wonderful.

...worth” it...

True FSD literally means an unsupervised Tesla with the owner working hard on a day's job and the car just sneaks out of the work parking lot to pick up rides and makes money all on its own with absolutely no driver at all. That already happens in movies like the Terminator but I won't hold my breath for it to happen any time soon.

Nevertheless, what I enjoy the most and I think that alone is worth the cost: Auto Lane Change. It works pretty well because I think it changes the lane much safer than I can!

FSD is still a driver assistance system that needs humans to override it at any time so some enjoy to function as a babysitter to the system while some just hate it.

Based on my smart summon running the car up onto a curb and later that day, the car seeing a shadow under an overpass and slamming on brakes on the highway while no navigate on autopilot? I feel safe in saying it’s YEARS away from true FSD

No, this was the case for pre 2019 model S/X only, which had more features in EAP and less in FSD. For these older cars FSD brings nothing more than visualization. But for newer cars FSD is required for NoA and lane changes.

That's what "EAP" means.. before "AP" came with the car. For those older cars (both my Tesla got EAP), EAP get everything FSD does now except for the new things (visualization) showing on the screen.

Based on my smart summon running the car up onto a curb and later that day, the car seeing a shadow under an overpass and slamming on brakes on the highway while no navigate on autopilot? I feel safe in saying it’s YEARS away from true FSD

Make sure I understand. Your autopilot was shut to the OFF position and the vehicle braked full hard on a highway for a shadow? Hmm... That can not be normal? Maybe the FSD forward radar might have prevented that?

M

I have EAP and absolutely love it. The Navigate on Autopilot is wonderful and really helps on longer drives. If you do a lot of city driving, probably not as much of a benefit but I don't have Full autopilot. I recently drove a Model S without premium connectivity and not autopilot. It had the same features as a typical car and I thought it didn't have near the joy of driving that my S has with EAP and premium connectivity. So I think some of the decision and how much you will use it depends on your driving habits.