Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What does it mean that the Cybertruck “Pulls ∞”?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What does “Pulls ∞” mean in the context of this slide?

1pTK0Ev.jpg

I had the same question as you, and I think the 14,000 towing limit is the amount which the truck will safely tow, i.e., navigate through traffic, hills, which involves stopping, turning, accelerating to highway speeds, etc. I think "pulls," on the other hand, is the amount which the truck can pull behind it, albeit slowly and not in traffic conditions. Towing means able to transport and navigate through traffic, "pulls" is just budging it from one place to another.

• Helpful
Reactions: strangecosmos2

The definition of "tow" is "pull from behind", but think of a demo where a strong man "pulls" a truck. You wouldn't really say that he was towing it. Just like the Model X was able to pull a large passenger jet. If the model X pulled a jet, then what can this do.

You could say that it was towing the jet, but pull is the better word in the context of a demonstration where the move from A to B was a pointless one.

Used to be a strongman competitor. There was a show in... Dubai or Abu Dabi where the competitors pull a, brand new, air liner, on brand new tires, down a virgin runway - which had a slight downhill slope.

Weight is meaningless, it’s a matter of grade and coefficient of friction.

It can tow 14,000#. That “pull” rating is semantics.

We trained with a 700-800# sled, usually. It was much harder than the medium- duty trucks we usually pulled in shows.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SpaceCash
What does “Pulls ∞” mean in the context of this slide?...

Usually, I would think towing and pulling are the same but I guess, that is not the case.

Ford F-150EV was able to pull 1.25 million pounds of the train behind it.

Science_TA_All-Electric-F-150-6-(1).jpg

But in pulling, there's no actual weight depressing on the hitch (tounge/hitch weight) thus, as long as the cargo is on wheel and can roll, CyberTruck can pull that cargo with infinite weight, whether is a jumbo jet, a train, a space shuttle...

I guess, towing means exerting some weight on the tongue/hitch as well so that weight has to be limited, finite.

No, Ford's Electric F-150 Can't Tow 1 Million Pounds (Realistically) Jul 31, 2019

Engineering Explained
2.42M subscribers
Ford's Electric F-150 pulled a 1 million pound train, but Ford's stunt was way easier than it looked. This isn't a competitive advantage, instead, it's a very clever, very cool, marketing exercise.

Towing a million pounds sounds impossible. On an open road, it pretty much is. On a railroad, however, things are different. With a steel wheel riding on a steel track, the rolling resistance of the train is extremely low. The result? A relatively tiny force is required to move the train in comparison to the weight of the train.

What makes it easy? Well it all comes down to the coefficient of rolling resistance. This is the ratio of force required to pull a certain rotational mass. For example, a coefficient of rolling resistance of 0.1 means you only need a 1 pound-force to move a 10 pound ball. With steel wheels on a steel track, that ratio is far, far lower. Plenty of trucks out there could have done the same thing Ford's electric F-150 did, if not family crossovers and SUVs. Check out the video for a full breakdown of how it all works.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Tessaract and Tam