Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened to dash cam recording that elon promised?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nobody is saying its impossible, its quite possible. Just trying to figure out the logistics of it. Maybe a SC visit where they install a hard drive somewhere would be my guess. I was thinking usb sticks for video storage, but that seems so unreliable considering the relatively slow data rates of USB.

or maybe all teslas have a secret 1TB hard drive installed somewhere we don't know about ;)

Video is a lot more space intensive though. I have a 64gb card in my blackvue and it only holds 7-8 hours of video tops. I doubt the car's onboard storage even approaches that much space.

I wasn't expecting archives with hours and hours of video. I was thinking of some sort of system that could capture and save after a crash or some such event. If you get hit from behind, save x minutes before and after the event from the back camera. If you get sideswiped, ditto from the side cameras and so forth.

360 view is more important to me and that requires no storage and does not compete with AP for CPU.

Too many close calls parking without it for me.

I think if you "NEED" these features to park, then there might be another issue :)

As far as a hard drive goes....On another note, there definitely is some sort of memory in the car, otherwise the "OTA Updates" that download or the web browser or mapping data (recent trips, etc.) wouldn't be stored anywhere. It might be small, but thats something I don't know :)

I think if you "NEED" these features to park, then there might be another issue :)

There's an awful lot of things you don't NEED in these cars, but that doesn't stop them being useful and desirable. The Model X is a huge boat with the turning circle of a super tanker. A 360 degree surround view (like our £20K Nissan already has) would be a very useful feature when parking mm close to kerbs as you often need to on our narrow UK roads. Not being able to see the front wheels when parking is not cool in 2018 on a £100K luxury car! All Tesla competitors have this simple feature available, although you usually have to pay for it as an option. Auto parking is quite cool, but it leaves the car a good few inches from the kerb, which is not always good enough. Plus it doesn't work in many parking spots.

There's an awful lot of things you don't NEED in these cars, but that doesn't stop them being useful and desirable. The Model X is a huge boat with the turning circle of a super tanker. A 360 degree surround view (like our £20K Nissan already has) would be a very useful feature when parking mm close to kerbs as you often need to on our narrow UK roads. Not being able to see the front wheels when parking is not cool in 2018 on a £100K luxury car! All Tesla competitors have this simple feature available, although you usually have to pay for it as an option. Auto parking is quite cool, but it leaves the car a good few inches from the kerb, which is not always good enough. Plus it doesn't work in many parking spots.

cant understand how this car probably has the most cameras out of any car on the market but cars with less cameras can give a surround camera view

I wasn't expecting archives with hours and hours of video. I was thinking of some sort of system that could capture and save after a crash or some such event. If you get hit from behind, save x minutes before and after the event from the back camera. If you get sideswiped, ditto from the side cameras and so forth.

Just like in a third-party dashcam chip, it only saves recent video, and tapes over previous recordings. If there's an accident or whatever, you download that particular clip. The flash chip degrades after awhile, however, and must be replaced.

Nobody is saying its impossible, its quite possible. Just trying to figure out the logistics of it. Maybe a SC visit where they install a hard drive somewhere would be my guess. I was thinking usb sticks for video storage, but that seems so unreliable considering the relatively slow data rates of USB.

or maybe all teslas have a secret 1TB hard drive installed somewhere we don't know about ;)
There's a very easily accessible usb-c port just behind the glove box. take the side panel out and you can easily see and touch it.

Yeah he also promised the ability to set the threshold for cabin climate protection coming up on 2 years ago. Not another word about it since fall 2016.
the camper mode replaced that dream, I guess?

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: ebfio and croman