Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened to FSD retrofits on AP2 + MCU1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everybody;

I've been a long timer in TMC now and these days are the quietest I'm seeing this Model S section. Where is everybody? Why are people - who are usually very difficult to satisfy in this forum tbh - not complaining about the lack of a visible path to get FSD (i.e. HW3 retrofit) in their late 2016 to mid 2018 cars?

I love my 2017 S with AP2 and it is approaching 60k miles quick! Yet, when buying new the FSD feature almost 3 years ago, it was like a ticket to stay on top of technology with the ever-improving Tesla features. Now that HW3 is almost out for a year and people with MCU2 HW2.5 are getting retrofits, how come everyone (incl. owners, tesla and hackers) with HW2-MCU1 S/X is playing three monkeys.

Have I missed an announcement? Tesla has a huge hacker community with amazing feats and no one has tried to MCU2 and HW3 retrofit a car aftermarket? So nothing from inside the community and obviously nothing from Tesla. Some people must have finished leases already with no benefit on a feature they paid for.

Let alone V9-10's sluggishness that can't be hidden with any update or not having sentry/dashcam or not having a visible HW3 path, the fact that no complaining/discussion going on around this is very surprising.

Don't get me wrong I still love my car and take each moment to find an excuse to drive, to this day. Yet I wish they hadn't sold the FSD feature then, if they can't fulfill now. That being said fulfilling would probably be bad for them business-wise as I don't see any reason to upgrade my car for another 3-4 years at least should I get MCU2 and HW3.

Thoughts?

Here is what is happening right now with FSD (based on comments on TMC and Facebook).

AP2.0 / MCU 1 - Still on hold.
AP2.5 / MCU 1 - Still on hold.
AP2.5 / MCU 2 - This is currently happening mostly at the SC. I think I've seen one or two reported that mobile was able to do it. Some SC are telling owners that they are starting this closer to the factory and then moving east.

when I bought my 2017 MS75, I was told if I'm leasing, don't buy FSD just get EAP, if I was buying out right, get EAP, wait on FSD, it may go on sale buy it then, that's what I did, got it for 2000.00 I was told by my service center they can upgrade AP2.0 to the HW3, that maybe the best you will get, I don't believe my car will ever drive from parking lot, to parking lot on it's own. I will just have to wait to see what HW3 will do for my car. To this day I still just love driving my car.

Reactions: PrGrPa and drklain
when I bought my 2017 MS75, I was told if I'm leasing, don't buy FSD just get EAP, if I was buying out right, get EAP, wait on FSD, it may go on sale buy it then, that's what I did, got it for 2000.00 I was told by my service center they can upgrade AP2.0 to the HW3, that maybe the best you will get, I don't believe my car will ever drive from parking lot, to parking lot on it's own. I will just have to wait to see what HW3 will do for my car. To this day I still just love driving my car.

Once you get your AP2 to FSD Computer Upgrade, then it will drive by itself according to how it was sold to us. The key here is that you need the FSD Computer Upgrade, and that is currently on hold. We'll know more once the first few AP 2 and 2.5 (with MCU/1) get upgraded to FSD Computer.

Don't loose faith.

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
Lol, no. Ask those folks how that have HW3 right now how that “drive by itself” is going. ;)

Ask them what? You know the NOA for Surface Street isn't out yet. IT's going to Early Access Program people at the end of the month. So what do you want to ask these people?

FSD Computer is different than the NOA Surface Streets... One is hardware, the other is software that leverages the hardware.

You should wait until the early access program participants with FSD Computer that the software update that does this and then ask them.

It's like asking people if they like the new government that will appear in November 2020??? How would they know if we haven't elected that new government...

• Funny
Reactions: Krash
Ask them what? You know the NOA for Surface Street isn't out yet. IT's going to Early Access Program people at the end of the month. So what do you want to ask these people?

FSD Computer is different than the NOA Surface Streets... One is hardware, the other is software that leverages the hardware.

You should wait until the early access program participants with FSD Computer that the software update that does this and then ask them.

It's like asking people if they like the new government that will appear in November 2020??? How would they know if we haven't elected that new government...

Your words, not mine.

“Once you get your AP2 to FSD Computer Upgrade, then it will drive by itself according to how it was sold to us.”

That said, if anything released by the end of the year - early access or not - can reasonably be interpreted as the car “driving by itself”, I’ll eat my hat.

We just need to sit down and realize we got marketed to again and its not happening yet. The mobile service tech that I spoke to was super realistic about it all. He said it's being retrofitted, but it's a super slow process because of the thousands upon thousands or more cars in front of most of us. There is extensive software to just allow compatibility and even still some MCUs are rejecting it like a bad organ. So more unexpected delays.

For the issue of FSD being ready for software deployment- being that they finally showed us all they did this year with the demo and hardware, I am going say there's a healthy estimate as rollout beginning right at the time Model Y production ramps up based on the benefits of having a new model and a huge amount of buzz FSD will create in the press.. so you can't blame them. Good news being the Model Y was pushed up to Q1 2020... so basically expect a FSD release of the last days Q1/ early Q2 area!

2017 S 75D here. I found this discussion to be non-hyperbolic and refreshing. 75Shappyt's experience fairly mirrors my own:
when I bought my 2017 MS75 . . . wait on FSD, it may go on sale buy it then, that's what I did, got it for 2000.00 I was told by my service center they can upgrade AP2.0 to the HW3, that maybe the best you will get, I don't believe my car will ever drive from parking lot, to parking lot on it's own. I will just have to wait to see what HW3 will do for my car. To this day I still just love driving my car.

I don't care if my car never does door-to-door commutes; my daily experience is mindblowing, continues to improve often and at no additional expense, and I will never by another ICE vehicle again.

Lol, no. Ask those folks how that have HW3 right now how that “drive by itself” is going. ;)

Excuse me for quoting my own post from another thread, but it does answer this question, at least from a UK HW3 / FSD perspective:

In the UK we have a different product from the US. I didn't realize (whoops, realise) this at first. The paint colors (whoops, colours) may be the same between markets, but the software is a different beast entirely. I believe it was developed by the same team that coded the Entertainment pack in order to balance out the workload. Its obviously a bug that the UK software controls for our version of FSD were not moved to the Enertainment menu. For any that haven't yet read about it, in the UK our cars get a feature set known as Fun Steering Distractions. The split between US and UK releases is rumored (or rumoured) to have come about when UK programmers were brought in to the software development team to try and add awareness and handling of UK specific road features.

Reading through the code they realised they had been given a game development project because of the references to driving on the 'pavement', assuming it must be points per pedestrian hit etc.

I was sure I had Fun Steering Distractions option when I first encountered a row of parked cars with AP engaged and discovered the aim was to try and stop my car smashing their door mirrors. Self Parking is part of the same FSD package in the UK where I found out the aim is to try and avoid letting the car drive itself onto grass or get itself stuck in positions you can't get out of (especially in corners of parking lots {car parks}) and between closely positioned rows of parked cars. (Reminds me of the sofa in Hitchhikers Guide if anyone remembers that.)

In-Lane ping pong was left for UK and Europe the same as in US market cars.

My personal favourite / favorite is the addition of 'Patience' that brings all the drivers of the cars behind you into the game when FSD comes up behind a cyclist and just sits there to see who cracks first and can no longer hold back from overtaking.

'Concentration' could present problems for insurance companies with huge numbers of rear-end collisions although it also brings a multi-player dimension to gameplay. It's perhaps too much for most UK drivers when FSD Teslas randomly slam on the brakes for no obvious reason.

I'm not a fan of 'guess your next speed' under the TACC section. Especially in Construction Zones (road works) on freeways (motorways) where it's just too dangerous imo to be jetted up to 70mph without warning in a 50mph zone.

To maintain parity of value offering, the US development team have been keeping a close eye on UK enhancements. They have decided that they can't see any justification for adding Carousel (or should that be Carosel?) mode to US cars just to keep pace with the new Roundabout mode mooted for UK buyers.

I guess that's just how it goes when you buy an American car.

Old post but got a message from a sales advisor about AP2 to FSD/HW3. Will need to do the $2500 MCU2 retrofit but after that set for fall 2020.

“FSD Capability means that the car is ready to use FSD when we launch it at no extra cost. A new microchip will have to be retro-fit however first to do so. This chip is planned for install on S and X this coming Fall and you’ll be emailed when your car is eligible for it to be installed at a service center. This is included with the cost.

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
Old post but got a message from a sales advisor about AP2 to FSD/HW3. Will need to do the $2500 MCU2 retrofit but after that set for fall 2020.

“FSD Capability means that the car is ready to use FSD when we launch it at no extra cost. A new microchip will have to be retro-fit however first to do so. This chip is planned for install on S and X this coming Fall and you’ll be emailed when your car is eligible for it to be installed at a service center. This is included with the cost.

This is contrary to what else has been posted. And I think you are misunderstanding the Sales Advisor (who usually knows nothing anyway).

There are two separate systems/chips,

MCU1 and MCU2

AP2, AP2.5 and AP3.

If you upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2 for $2500, it will be easier for them to install AP3 and you will have higher priority.

If you keep MCU1, then they will install AP3 later.

AP3 is a pre-purchased upgrade if you bought the FSD Package.

There is no need to pay $2500 to do MCU2 retrofit, in order to get AP3. Though many features may require MCU2.

All TBD.

Tesla has no plan. They determined that mcu2 is needed for hw3 to function properly after assuming it wouldn't be an issue. Then they decided to let us pay for MCU2 and call it an infotainment upgrade, and they'll upgrade us to hw3 also. They have no plan. They hope majority of owners will give them the $2500. Those that don't and expect them to deliver on their original promise will be grossly disappointed and on the waiting list forever.

Reactions: Chaserr and whitex
Tesla has no plan. They determined that mcu2 is needed for hw3 to function properly after assuming it wouldn't be an issue. Then they decided to let us pay for MCU2 and call it an infotainment upgrade, and they'll upgrade us to hw3 also. They have no plan. They hope majority of owners will give them the $2500. Those that don't and expect them to deliver on their original promise will be grossly disappointed and on the waiting list forever.

I just bought a used AP2/MCU1 p100dl w/ FSD that only has 7k miles and I refuse to upgrade to MCU2, just out of principle. After all Elon has said I have to believe they'd cave on the MCU2 upgrade price later this year if indeed they determine that it's absolutely required for FSD.

Reactions: viper2ko
I just bought a used AP2/MCU1 p100dl w/ FSD that only has 7k miles and I refuse to upgrade to MCU2, just out of principle. After all Elon has said I have to believe they'd cave on the MCU2 upgrade price later this year if indeed they determine that it's absolutely required for FSD.

Wow that sounds like a steal with only 7k miles. How much?

It is not required. Sorry to burst your dream bubble. People with more knowledge and skills have already proven hw3 and MCU1 work just without the IC visuals. Enjoy.

• Informative
Reactions: Cheburashka