Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened to my car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Swampgator

Apr 27, 2016
Florida
Day 1 Line stander
Ordered the day after white interior became available for AWD (July 24th)
AWD, Black, White Interior, 19s
Notified Sept 6 that my car could be delivered between 9-21 and 9-29 in Tampa
Chose 9-21
I called the Tampa delivery center on Sept 14th. Was told the car was sitting at the rail-yard in Richmond, Ca
I then called my inside delivery adviser and was told we should push delivery back to Sept 29th to make sure it gets to Tampa.
Was sent MVPA to e-sign the 17th. VIN 100305 Signed right away. I was told by inside guy Greg that car was "in transit" on 9-18.
I called Tampa on the 21rst and was told the car was still in Richmond rail yard.
Delivery pushed out to 10-10 as the Tampa software showed car arriving 10-9
Emailed delivery center yesterday for update. Crickets.
Emailed inside guy Greg today. He tells me the car is in Fremont now. !*^&&*%^(&*^
I really think these guys are either totally incompetent, or lying to me.
I'm thinking one of these things must be true:

1. Car was not even in production when I was given the original delivery window. Tesla was just throwing emails out to everyone to try and get dates scheduled without actual cars being available.
2. My car really was in Richmond and then now is in Fremont. Does this mean something is/was wrong with it?
3. Tesla has no idea where vin 100305 actually is.
4. Tesla is selling vin 100305 to someone in california this weekend to make Q3 numbers. They will then try and reassign me a vin.

Greg tells me #4 is not the case. So that leaves one of the first 3.
Any other ideas?
At least I have a rental car that Tesla arranged as I had sold my car after getting the first delivery date scheduled.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Day 1 Line stander
Ordered the day after white interior became available for AWD (July 24th)
AWD, Black, White Interior, 19s
Notified Sept 6 that my car could be delivered between 9-21 and 9-29 in Tampa
Chose 9-21
I called the Tampa delivery center on Sept 14th. Was told the car was sitting at the rail-yard in Richmond, Ca
I then called my inside delivery adviser and was told we should push delivery back to Sept 29th to make sure it gets to Tampa.
Was sent MVPA to e-sign the 17th. VIN 100305 Signed right away. I was told by inside guy Greg that car was "in transit" on 9-18.
I called Tampa on the 21rst and was told the car was still in Richmond rail yard.
Delivery pushed out to 10-10 as the Tampa software showed car arriving 10-9
Emailed delivery center yesterday for update. Crickets.
Emailed inside guy Greg today. He tells me the car is in Fremont now. !*^&&*%^(&*^
I really think these guys are either totally incompetent, or lying to me.
I'm thinking one of these things must be true:

1. Car was not even in production when I was given the original delivery window. Tesla was just throwing emails out to everyone to try and get dates scheduled without actual cars being available.
2. My car really was in Richmond and then now is in Fremont. Does this mean something is/was wrong with it?
3. Tesla has no idea where vin 100305 actually is.
4. Tesla is selling vin 100305 to someone in california this weekend to make Q3 numbers. They will then try and reassign me a vin.

Greg tells me #4 is not the case. So that leaves one of the first 3.
Any other ideas?
At least I have a rental car that Tesla arranged as I had sold my car after getting the first delivery date scheduled.

It's #1. I am surprised that your IDA didn't tell you. My coworker got calls from 3 different IDAs a few weeks ago all asking to confirm a delivery date. 1 of the 3 told him that they don't really have a car yet, but they were all under pressure to confirm a delivery date for everyone. Pretty set a deadline and hope "a" car matching your order will make it there.

Reactions: fallen888
It's #1. I am surprised that your IDA didn't tell you. My coworker got calls from 3 different IDAs a few weeks ago all asking to confirm a delivery date. 1 of the 3 told him that they don't really have a car yet, but they were all under pressure to confirm a delivery date for everyone. Pretty set a deadline and hope "a" car matching your order will make it there.
That's kinda what I think as well. But then why have people tell me the car is at the rail-yard? In Transit, etc? It just pisses people off.

Maybe they are hoping people get so fed up with all the bait and switch that they will comprise on some color or features and just take whatever car ends up available? (not actually being serious, but it is hard to imagine what could be going on in their heads with all the customer confusion this stuff is causing)

Maybe they are hoping people get so fed up with all the bait and switch that they will comprise on some color or features and just take whatever car ends up available? (not actually being serious, but it is hard to imagine what could be going on in their heads with all the customer confusion this stuff is causing)

I would be more than happy to accept a Midnight Blue AWD in place of the Pearl White AWD I have on order, but they have no way of knowing that since I’ve heard from no one. It’s almost as if they needed a “Secondary Color Choice” option in the online account page when they moved to this VIN matching scheme.

I would be more than happy to accept a Midnight Blue AWD in place of the Pearl White AWD I have on order, but they have no way of knowing that since I’ve heard from no one. It’s almost as if they needed a “Secondary Color Choice” option in the online account page when they moved to this VIN matching scheme.
Call the service center - they can look and see , and change the order- they did mine otherwise I wouldn’t have gotten a vin today