Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened to the improved browser?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: Changed thread title per OP request.

Bruce.
Heck, now I want to know what it said because it seemed to touch quite the nerve! :D

I agree the browser is useless, and I've used it about once to see if TeslaFi or something worked. I use my iPhone when I want to look up something (and do use Google Maps). I think it will always be awful because everything goes through the Tesla VPN, which will always have limited bandwidth and be filtered, etc.

@JonG - the value of Teslawaze over the google maps is you can (usually) see if there us an accident or the road is road closed ahead.
On my regular journeys this has proved to be invaluable on many occasions.

Queue a bit longer than usual on the Google map? - check Teslwaze - yup there you go, bit of an incident ahead, hop off onto alternate route before I get stuck in that. Saved me hours and hours of my time. Perfect no, Invaluable yes.
Works the other way around too, unusual queue = uh oh, Check on Teslawaze - just a broken down vehicle so not worth the detour just sit it out for a few minutes whilst the traffic filters to a single lane to get past.

I used to count the hours this saved me, I remember getting to 50 but lost count after that.

So back to the topic - if only the browser worked faster (and had up to date compatibility) as was promised repeatedly last year it would be more usable for this sort of highly useful functionality. But as everybody weirdly seems to disagree, I guess I am happily on my own with this one.

Agreed, I mostly have both the nav and Waze for Tesla open. Allows for a detail dynamic closeup view (nav) and zoomed out view of what is causing traffic (eg car crash, roadwork...) on my way.
And indeed Waze had some troubles recently. If you check the thread from ericwol, you see he is working on trying to workaround the challenges from Google and the browser. Excellent work imho.
But still have not lost hope of some browser overhaul.

The browser will always suck. The hardware powering the S and X MCU is absolute dog crap 10 year old NVIDIA tech. I guarantee the current browser loaded into a model 3 would be lightning fast.
The hardware is not the problem. When the car launched it was the fastest hardware around and a number of tablets using the same hardware had browsers that worked just fine. If Tesla spent some more resources on it they could make it a very usable browser. Just like a lot of the issues on the S, from vampire drain to the media player. However as the OP said, the only ting Tesla cares about on the S is FSD these days.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
We were promised the world. And they never delivered ... don't expect them too. Ever.
They need MANY more SC's yet they cannot deliver those.
I gave up on Elon's promises years ago.
Sorry, I missed the Tweet where we were promised the world ;)
The thing is, they usually deliver... even if they are late.
Superchargers. 2017 they went from 771 to 1135... (5000 stalls to 8300 stalls)
Patience, grasshopper.

Reactions: DMack
We were promised the world. And they never delivered ... don't expect them too. Ever.

I think that is going a bit too far, don't you think?

What did they deliver? In 2012 they delivered a car that no other automaker has yet to match in 2018.

That's what they delivered so while we are justified in whining that our car from the future isn't even better, we should be grateful that Tesla took the chance and Elon literally put all his money on the line so we can drive our cars from the future.

Would I like better navigation, USB media playback to be flawless, and my P85D to be a bit more faster? Sure, but I would still prefer my 3 year old car to anything else sold by any other automaker at any price.

The superchargers is the one area where they do seem to be delivering, albeit late. In early 2014 when I never imagined the superchargers would amount to much. I did however expect them to deliver with the OTAs. I was quite surprised that there are so many superchargers now, but that the OTAs have been pretty worthless (for non-AP cars anyway).

But at least you can use Android Auto with the latest update.

Oh, wait. :D

Seriously though, the one interface feature that I would actually pay a bunch of money for would be Wave integration with easy buttons to mark road debris and tax collection stations (cops).
Avoiding the road pirates... indeed that's why I love TeslaWaze and use it every single time I'm in the car. Stays on the bottom half of my screen... and even on days that it's not working I keep hitting refresh hoping it will work

The fact that Tesla.com doesn't even work inside a Tesla says it all. We were promised an updated browser back in 2012, we're still waiting. It'll probably come right after that lighted visor retrofit we were also promised.

The lighted visor that is now shipping on new S's? The loaner car I have in the driveway right now has a lighted visor. Wife is very jealous because our 2 month old car doesn't have it.