Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happens now at a V2 supercharger stall and you have to share with a 100 car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The stalls do not let one car take all the rate. You'll get at least 35kw if you arrive and a car is at peak.

I've read discussions on how this works so I paid attention yesterday as my car ramped up. It started at 36 kW. After a while it jumped to 48 kW. A while later it jumped to 84 kW.

I've seen speculation that the boards in the charger are 12 kW and are used in triples, 1 for each phase. That would be the 36 kW which seems to be the minimum any car gets unless the car limits it further. My car started charging at 19% so it would have taken any amount the charger would provide. Since it jumped up to 48 kW clearly the boards can be configured to multiples of 12 kW regardless of how they are connected to the three phases of power. The 84 kW level is also an odd duck since 72 kW is the level that would be an even distribution across the three phases.

Reactions: ucmndd
I've read discussions on how this works so I paid attention yesterday as my car ramped up. It started at 36 kW. After a while it jumped to 48 kW. A while later it jumped to 84 kW.

I've seen speculation that the boards in the charger are 12 kW and are used in triples, 1 for each phase. That would be the 36 kW which seems to be the minimum any car gets unless the car limits it further. My car started charging at 19% so it would have taken any amount the charger would provide. Since it jumped up to 48 kW clearly the boards can be configured to multiples of 12 kW regardless of how they are connected to the three phases of power. The 84 kW level is also an odd duck since 72 kW is the level that would be an even distribution across the three phases.
Yes, I’m wondering if recent software changes have allowed the stations to allocate individual chargers more granularly, potentially one by one. Who knows. It does seem the guaranteed minimum is still ~36kw.