Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happens now at a V2 supercharger stall and you have to share with a 100 car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the existing V2 superchargers can now put out a total of 150 kwh, and the 100 cars can charge at a max rate of 150 kwh. What is going to happen if you have to share a stall with a 100 car that has not hit the taper yet? Will you not get any charging at all?

What I'm getting at is that getting a 150 kW charge rate might seem like a great thing until you pull into a super charger one day and can't start charging at all for 10+ minutes, because the car in the stall next to you is literally pulling all the available energy.

Could be the upgraded cooling that all 100 kWh packs have, although not to the level of Model 3's cooling system... I read somewhere else that 75 packs are being validated for higher charge rates, can't remember where I read it.

Yes exactly. Extra cooling is key. 60, 75, 85 and 90 will get a boost. I doubt it will be higher than 120kw unfortunately. Especially for 60 and 75 which are 350V instead of 400V.

Reactions: Model S M.D.
What I'm getting at is that getting a 150 kW charge rate might seem like a great thing until you pull into a super charger one day and can't start charging at all for 10+ minutes, because the car in the stall next to you is literally pulling all the available energy.

Yeah if i roll up in my now obsolete banger of 2017 75D i might not be able to get any juice till the car next to me has started to taper off! And couple that with the fact that in the UK the Model 3 is about to launch meaning the supercahrger network here is about to get a whole lot busier!

That's not how it works. The 150kw is peak rate. Further, Tesla has a method of forced sharing based on paired priority. It's not going to be fun for us 75 owners unless Tesla makes it more equitable though.

That's not how it works. The 150kw is peak rate. Further, Tesla has a method of forced sharing based on paired priority. It's not going to be fun for us 75 owners unless Tesla makes it more equitable though.

Yeah, its a peak rate, but its the max output rate combined for both paired chargers, and they might get that peak rate for 10 minutes or more. And if some sites keep their signs up that say "40 minutes charging maximum", does this mean you can only really charge for 30 minutes?

This is gonna be a headache for everybody, even 100 owners. They'll be in the same boat as a 75 when they share a stall with another 100, until the taper kicks in and drops the rate down significantly. It will be interesting when two cars pull into shared stalls at the same time... Who can get their car plugged in the quickest?

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Bill_75D
Yeah, its a peak rate, but its the max output rate combined for both paired chargers, and they might get that peak rate for 10 minutes or more. And if some sites keep their signs up that say "40 minutes charging maximum", does this mean you can only really charge for 30 minutes?

This is gonna be a headache for everybody, even 100 owners. They'll be in the same boat as a 75 when they share a stall with another 100, until the taper kicks in and drops the rate down significantly. It will be interesting when two cars pull into shared stalls at the same time... Who can get their car plugged in the quickest?

I don't get it. Everybody charging faster is going to be a headache?

I don't get it. Everybody charging faster is going to be a headache?

If you take a road trip where you have to stop at a super charger, You're never really gonna know for sure how long you'll need to charge there, until you get there and plug in. Makes it harder to plan when you have to roadtrip several hours somewhere and arrive at a specific time.
And since any model 3 can charge at 250, I guess it will have the same effect as a 100 car when using the V2 chargers(which almost all are)

I don't know if that's the model, to me it seems some see this as a zero sum game when it can not be. It's a simple study in queuing theory. If the transaction time has been shortened, then everyone benefits.

This is true but the point the OP was making that whilst it will shorten for 100's & 3's it may actually increase for 75 owners as on a paired stall the amount of juice available would be almost 0 if the partner car is at full flow.

This is true but the point the OP was making that whilst it will shorten for 100's & 3's it may actually increase for 75 owners as on a paired stall the amount of juice available would be almost 0 if the partner car is at full flow.

Because of the asynchronous nature of arrivals, this is fretting about very low probability events. What some are not seeing is the queue that wasn't even there or the other user already well into taper time when they arrive because of the faster transaction time. Faster transaction times are always a win win.

As @croman pointed out, the second car on a SCv2 pair is guaranteed at least ~36kw of power.

SCv2 pairs are made up of 4 “stacks” of ~36kw chargers. If you’re the only car there, you can use all 4 in theory. If a second car pulls up, they get at least one. You keep priority over the other three until you don’t need them any more - in other words, once the first car’s charge rate drops below ~72kw a second charger stack will be freed up and given to the second car, which will see its charge rate shoot up to ~72kw as well.

Last edited:
As @croman pointed out, the second car on a SCv2 pair is guaranteed at least ~36kw of power.

SCv2 pairs are made up of 4 “stacks” of ~36kw chargers. If you’re the only car there, you can use all 4 in theory. If a second car pulls up, they get at least one. You keep priority over the other three until you don’t need them any more - in other words, once the first car’s charge rate drops below ~72kw a second charger stack will be freed up and given to the second car, which will see its charge rate shoot up to ~72kw as well.

Yes. And with higher peak rates, that first car will always start to share resources in a shorter amount of time, benefiting the second car and anyone else waiting. Everybody wins.

If you take a road trip where you have to stop at a super charger, You're never really gonna know for sure how long you'll need to charge there, until you get there and plug in. Makes it harder to plan when you have to roadtrip several hours somewhere and arrive at a specific time.
And since any model 3 can charge at 250, I guess it will have the same effect as a 100 car when using the V2 chargers(which almost all are)

The peak power bump from 120 to 150 will have zero effect on the overall flow of cars through a SCv2 station, as the only time a car will be able to draw 150kw is when it’s on an unpaired stall (thus, when the station is not full).

The only possible effect it can have is positive as the car that was previously getting 150kw when the station was less busy will now be ready to leave earlier should the station suddenly become congested.

It won't make a difference if the 2nd car is a 75 or a 100. I guess in a sense nothing has really changed, if you're the second car in a paired stall, you should still get at minimum 25% of the total power for the stall.