TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What happens to regen if the battery is at 100%?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by e-FTW, Sep 22, 2015.

1. jgs

jgs Active Member

And of course, after the first few miles of descent, you'd be putting the power into the pack instead of onto the pack, so to speak.

Preserving braking feel would be quite nice, but once again, does suffer from the drawback that the solution doesn't work for a 100% full pack. A cold pack will become a warm pack within not too many minutes of driving, whereas a 100% full pack could remain 100% full for quite a while if descending a mountain. (Not that this is a problem for me, for the most part, although the cold pack is.)

2. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

In general you should only be charging to 90% each night anyway. If you know you're going to be doing a ton
    of regen when you leave your door, just charge to 80% each night (easy setting in the car or by phone).

3. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

I've had a cold pack be regen limited for 30-45 minutes before... and I'm not in REALLY cold country...

(but point well taken that it doesn't solve the issue of a 100% SOC pack that's already warm)

4. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

Guys, guys! You are overthinking this! Just mount one of these bad boys on the car:
    tesla-coil-huge-discharges-1.jpg

5. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

Can anyone even feel regen on anything other than a Tesla? I sure can't in my Tahoe Hybrid or Leaf. Sure, when you rarely charge to 100% it can surprise you how easily it rolls, but the green dotted line alerts you and it doesn't last long.

I absolutely love the one foot driving and having to recently drive through the mountains in my hybrid to tow my boat I realized how much I don't miss how much you have to use the brakes going downhill and into sharp turns. Tesla made absolutely the right choice in my opinion.

6. freeewilly

freeewilly Member

I was pretty good at one foot driving on my Smart EV, but after few weeks with Tesla, I can barely feel the regen anymore.

7. jimtelsa

jimtelsa Member

the mini cooper E would stop you dead..no brakes needed

thats the car that got me hooked on electric cars

why the he double l did they not bring that out

8. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

That's what we experienced as well when we switch between driving our Smart ED and Tesla. My wife far prefers the strong "normal" regen of the Tesla over the rather weaker default regen on the smart. Frankly, I kind of wish my smart had stronger regen by default, but unfortunately I didn't purchase the option that allows switching the regen using steering wheel paddles.