Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happens to regen if the battery is at 100%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect you couldn't regen nearly enough to be concerned about overheating that 1200 lb mass in any reasonable time period... unless you were coasting down from the top of Everest...

And of course, after the first few miles of descent, you'd be putting the power into the pack instead of onto the pack, so to speak.

And to be quite honest, I'm not sure how much faster you'd really be able to heat a cold pack up with typical regen during normal driving... the main advantage might simply be not having to lose the braking feel when you let off the accelerator...

Preserving braking feel would be quite nice, but once again, does suffer from the drawback that the solution doesn't work for a 100% full pack. A cold pack will become a warm pack within not too many minutes of driving, whereas a 100% full pack could remain 100% full for quite a while if descending a mountain. (Not that this is a problem for me, for the most part, although the cold pack is.)

Guys, guys! You are overthinking this! Just mount one of these bad boys on the car:
tesla-coil-huge-discharges-1.jpg

Can anyone even feel regen on anything other than a Tesla? I sure can't in my Tahoe Hybrid or Leaf. Sure, when you rarely charge to 100% it can surprise you how easily it rolls, but the green dotted line alerts you and it doesn't last long.

I absolutely love the one foot driving and having to recently drive through the mountains in my hybrid to tow my boat I realized how much I don't miss how much you have to use the brakes going downhill and into sharp turns. Tesla made absolutely the right choice in my opinion.

I was pretty good at one foot driving on my Smart EV, but after few weeks with Tesla, I can barely feel the regen anymore.

That's what we experienced as well when we switch between driving our Smart ED and Tesla. My wife far prefers the strong "normal" regen of the Tesla over the rather weaker default regen on the smart. Frankly, I kind of wish my smart had stronger regen by default, but unfortunately I didn't purchase the option that allows switching the regen using steering wheel paddles.