Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is acceptable ‘idle’ charge loss?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TeslaFi puts a red eye on If sentry mode was on during a period, so I would be surprised if sentry had anything to do with it.

To decorrelate the TeslaFi polling period and anything that the car may be doing, adjust your TeslaFi sleep settings to 15 minutes for both 'Time To Try Sleeping' and 'Idle Time Before Trying To Sleep' - thats under settings/sleep modes. Whilst at it, also chance temperature to Celsius just in case something temperature wise if causing it to remain asleep - it doesn't look like it but its been a long time since my brain worked in F so something may be easily overlooked.

As mentioned above, resetting your Tesla password is a good thing to try if you have used other apps/services (for the moment we must assume TeslaFi is not adding to the problem as you only installed it to help diagnose an existing issue) but if you are absolutely sure that you don't have never had any other devices, apps or services (charging etc) connected to your account, you can probably skip the issue at this stage as it will set you back a bit.

At the moment, it looks like something to do with the car itself if preventing it from staying asleep. Lots of valid reasons for this, but some not. TeslaFi detects that at some point during it polling pause that the car started sleeping, but then something caused it to wake again. Hence decoupling the TeslaFi polling period from any cycle that the car may be on. That also allows for a quicker turnaround on looking at the sleep/wake cycles.

One thing worth doing if you have not already done, is doing a car reboot - both buttons on steering plug foot on brake and hold until the Tesla T disappears then reappears - its about 45 seconds.

Another thing to check and report is strength of WiFi (ideally turn it off) and whether any downloads are in progress/stuck - check on the screen of the car.

Most importantly, be patient and methodical. If it was me, I would stick initially with diagnosing with TeslaFi as its good at that and its already showing up an issue which may or may not be the root cause of your battery gain.

Last edited:
Just taken it for a drive and made sure sentry is off (it was), cabin overheat is now off. Tried turning WiFi off too (already removed my access point as it could barely reach it). Have force quit the Tesla app but still have phone as a key enabled.

will see how it does when I check in again this evening. I hope the phone doesn’t keep it awake because I’m too close as that’d be a pain.

also the included usb stick just seems to keep failing - dash cam icon disappears and have to reformat constantly. Duff stick or is the Tesla just bad at formatting itself? Thought it was nice to get a free 64GB memory stick but not if it doesn’t work..

will see how it does when I check in again this evening. I hope the phone doesn’t keep it awake because I’m too close as that’d be a pain.
That shouldn't keep it awake. When I last washed my car I had my phone about 2-2.5m away from the car and I couldn't open the doors. Others have reported being able to open their doors while the phone was astronomical distances away from the car, but most folk need to be very close.

Just taken it for a drive and made sure sentry is off (it was), cabin overheat is now off. Tried turning WiFi off too (already removed my access point as it could barely reach it). Have force quit the Tesla app but still have phone as a key enabled.

also the included usb stick just seems to keep failing - dash cam icon disappears and have to reformat constantly. Duff stick or is the Tesla just bad at formatting itself? Thought it was nice to get a free 64GB memory stick but not if it doesn’t work..
Cabin overheat protection was keeping my car awake. Switching that off made a big difference.

The USB stick my M3 came with is 128GB and has had no issues, so far. If yours is causing problems, I would see about getting Tesla to replace it.

My MX suffers a lot from overnight drain, can be easily 5% and I've noticed it a lot more since getting a second Tesla (as it sits parked off charge much more often now). But my M3 is much better and only loses about 1% overnight. I don't have any 3rd party apps, sentry mode off etc.

Have you changed the TeslaFi poll interval (above) to decorrelate TeslaFi polling from and cycling that the car might be doing? That will give a better picture as to what the car wake/sleep cycle interval actually is, if it is indeed the car is cycling of its own accord.

Have you changed the TeslaFi poll interval (above) to decorrelate TeslaFi polling from and cycling that the car might be doing? That will give a better picture as to what the car wake/sleep cycle interval actually is, if it is indeed the car is cycling of its own accord.

yes I’ve just tweaked it to 20-25mins rather than 15 and turned off the other thing they mention in their ‘not sleeping’ page and will check later.

But it was losing charge previously and teslafi shouldn’t be causing it to stay awake so my current assumption is the car is doing it and telsafi is just reporting the data

But it was losing charge previously and teslafi shouldn’t be causing it to stay awake so my current assumption is the car is doing it and telsafi is just reporting the data

I appreciate that you were losing battery before setting up TeslaFi, but what is not known if whether the odd wake/sleep cycling is the same problem, or something else, possibly introduced by TeslaFi - it shouldn't, but it won't be the first time that a car has experienced odd behaviour than the normal - TeslaFi recently had to make a change that affected certain vehicles - see Sleep Mode Beta Option in Changelog / General / TeslaFi so its not inconceivable that TeslaFi has thrown its own anomaly into the mix.

I see that you have already found the TeslaFi weird sleep pattern: car will be woken up after ~5-50min … / General / TeslaFi thread. James is pretty responsive at answering things so hopefully there will be a follow up.

Reactions: Mrklaw
Installed teslafi - just left on defaults - based on below (left overnight not used the app or anything) it was pretty much awake the entire night and only slept for 1 minute at a time?

View attachment 651030

Edit : just opens the Tesla app for the first time this morning and it says 76% (was 82% when I stopped the charger around 6pm yesterday) and haven’t touched since
Strangely my car has started to have insomnia, always being awake, where previously, a week ago, it would sleep for 6-7 hours at a stretch. Now it is awake most of the time :(

Strangely my car has started to have insomnia, always being awake, where previously, a week ago, it would sleep for 6-7 hours at a stretch. Now it is awake most of the time :(
Mine did something similar after a software update. Went away again after another update. What software version are you on? Has the car been updated to the latest?

Mine did something similar after a software update. Went away again after another update. What software version are you on? Has the car been updated to the latest?
The car is on 2021.4.12, has been for a couple of weeks. The first week of the .4.12 version the car slept as before, just the last week it has napped for about 30mins and awake for 90% of the time.

Strangely though I have also noticed over the week that the Tesla app takes an age to connect to the car. Where as previously the connection was instantaneous.

What are you using to monitor the sleep/awake? Teslafi, Teslamate, something else?
Strangely though I have also noticed over the week that the Tesla app takes an age to connect to the car. Where as previously the connection was instantaneous.
I thought if it took a long time to initially connect that was due to it being asleep? Perhaps not.

What are you using to monitor the sleep/awake? Teslafi, Teslamate, something else?

I thought if it took a long time to initially connect that was due to it being asleep? Perhaps not.
Teslamate has been talking to the car since, well about a month ago, so unless that has updated and changed something to wake the car up all the time, I don't know.

Your thought about long time to connect equates to being asleep, well I thought that too, but the experience is the opposite.

Very strange...

Teslamate has been talking to the car since, well about a month ago, so unless that has updated and changed something to wake the car up all the time, I don't know.

Your thought about long time to connect equates to being asleep, well I thought that too, but the experience is the opposite.

Very strange...
I'm using teslamate (1.22.0) and my car is sleeping ok, so won't be a Teslamate issue. Care to share a States chart? Pref covering the period of the change in behaviour

I've been having a similar issue for a couple of months now: the car sits in the garage and, with or without the charger being plugged in, wakes up every 5 minutes or so, The contactor clunks, fans and pumps start up and after a couple of minutes it shuts down.
I suspect that the 12v battery settings in the program night be waking the car up when the 12v battery drops just a fraction and the HV battery switches on the DC-DC etc to bring it back up to the setting.
If so it would be odd that Tesla don't have a band within which the charger won't switch on to avoid wear on the systems?
I did manage to get support on the phone today and the agent said he was putting a note in for a tech to do a remote diagnosis but so far I haven't heard back. Mind you, this evening I had to enter my Tesla credentials on my phone to get access - never happened before so perhaps the SC has been in there....