Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is best financing rate now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Talking about interest rates, I suppose it depends on your credit rating. I am in Florida. My bank, Bank of America just lowered their rates to 2.29% from 2 79 for 48 months. And I just applied with Fairwinds Credit Union on line their rate is 2.00% for 48 months.

As long as it is a auto loan, the bank has to be alien holder. The only way to avoid that is to get a personal loan and buying a car with the proceeds that way is deceptive and unethical if not illegal.

That’s only the case with a typical secured loan....where the car is held as collateral. With an unsecured loan the car is not held as collateral and the buyer is the owner of the vehicle and no lien is required.

Reactions: preilly44
The nature of an auto loan is a secured loan. There is a difference for the bank between a personal loan and an auto loan. A personal loan could be unsecured but the proceeds should not be used to buy a property car. If this is done, it is deceitful. I was a banker for 30 years and this bv was the MO. Unless things change today, which I doubt. If you try to apply on li or e for a loan the bank will offer the following categories: Mortgage, Personal, Auto etc. I hope this help.

With Lightstream, do you have to put them as the lien holder? I noticed their website says you do but I thought they deposited cash directly into your account so do we really have to?
According to Lightstream, if qualified for their unsecured loan, there is no need to involve them as the lien holder or as loss payee on insurance policy.

The nature of an auto loan is a secured loan. There is a difference for the bank between a personal loan and an auto loan. A personal loan could be unsecured but the proceeds should not be used to buy a property car. If this is done, it is deceitful. I was a banker for 30 years and this bv was the MO. Unless things change today, which I doubt. If you try to apply on li or e for a loan the bank will offer the following categories: Mortgage, Personal, Auto etc. I hope this help.
Not an expert here. Hopefully no funny business involved. Below is an excerpt from their approval letter.
Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 4.45.12 PM.png

Reactions: preilly44 and Ejl80
According to Lightstream, if qualified for their unsecured loan, there is no need to involve them as the lien holder or as loss payee on insurance policy.

Not an expert here. Hopefully no funny business involved. Below is an excerpt from their approval letter.
Thanks for the info. I still can’t figure out why I wasn’t approved for unsecured. I have good credit and income but I’m self-employed so maybe that’s it. I applied for a 50k loan, maybe they’d switch me to unsecured if it was 30k or something?

Then again, I guess it doesn’t really matter.

Thanks for the direct quote. It makes sense. If you are financially qualified for an unsecured loan, it could probably pass. However, the banking industry is extremely regulated and when the bank inspectors get involved things could get messy. The language you quoted from Lightstream seems to make it the borrower's problem to name them as a lien holder. This is not right. Peace brother. I hope I didn't complicate the matter.

@BBEagle maybe this screen shot will help clarify it. I honestly didn’t know anything about unsecured auto loans until recently. I’ve always thought all auto loans were secured. They are not making it the borrowers problem to name the lien holder...because there is no lien holder....with an unsecured auto loan.

03805DCA-33C5-4C3D-BE32-4B2B52DE988E.png

Tank you so much N54TT. I stand corrected. As a conservative banker/investor, I know where not to put my money. For my own education I will do more research on the subject to see what the regulatory agency think of the new approach. Thanks again.

I have been approved for a 36m 0.99% rate with 20% down, and a 60m 2.39% rate with 0% down and can't really decide which to go with. I am financially in a place that the $1,350 monthly payment wouldn't put a huge strain on me and it would save about 3K over the course of the loan. But having roughly $350 extra a month to put into investments instead of a car loan also seems like a positive. What to do....opinions?

I have been approved for a 36m 0.99% rate with 20% down, and a 60m 2.39% rate with 0% down and can't really decide which to go with. I am financially in a place that the $1,350 monthly payment wouldn't put a huge strain on me and it would save about 3K over the course of the loan. But having roughly $350 extra a month to put into investments instead of a car loan also seems like a positive. What to do....opinions?
If you are certain that you will invest the $350 difference, by all means get the lower payment. You can open an account at a discount brokerage firm and put in the 350 monthly.

Cash option for Tesla, and you’ll also not claim the vehicle as being financed with your insurance agency. I am paying with a cashiers check, though I’m slightly disappointed I don’t get to walk in with a briefcase full of bills. Oh well.
HA! This reminds me of my local LR dealer. They had to turn a few customers away because of this exact issue. Also made me sign an agreement to not export the RR we got. Good ol days.

For those with an unsecured loan, what have you done about GAP insurance or the lack of?

My understanding is that GAP insurance wouldn't apply. Seeing as how the average cost to repair Tesla has been quite high, it may be a risk to not have GAP.