Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is everyone doing with their house key? Is that a weird question?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've considered going with a smart lock as well. I've been eyeing this particular deadbolt for a while since I already have a crapload of z-wave devices in my home: https://www.amazon.com/Kwikset-99160-002-Touchscreen-Electronic-SmartThings/dp/B00Q3N513E
That's the one that I installed a year or two ago. Couple little nits, but I like it. Each family member has their own code, so if the need arises, I can see logs. With a smart app you can administer the passwords and even add use once codes. Only complaints are that if you don't have it initially close to the hub when you first activate it, then it won't properly display battery level. Weird, but easy enough to fix. I love not needing keys too! Lastly, I can remotely lock or unlock as well as see the lock status. I also prefer kwikset due to self rekey option. I know that people will piss all over kwiksets tampering robustness, but if someone wants to get in, they will....

Reactions: PoitNarf
My key ring has house key (just in case, have smart locks and normally enter through garage anyways), key to the office, key to the server room, server room cabinet key, key for storage unit, and barcode things for discounts at two different grocery stores. My other key ring is my car key and keyfob (I don't like having all those keys jangling around while driving, so I keep two separate key rings).

I still want a keyfob for the 3 ... the card is inconvenient and the phone will likely never be truly reliable.

+1 for the electronic deadbolt. Has worked flawlessly and is great to never need keys. Cell phone and wallet and out the door. Kwikset from Home Depot, Lowes or Amazon for just under $100. SmartCode 909 in a few different finishes, I believe.

F05EE0B3-2A93-4CAF-A183-1D869CC7A359.jpeg

I use the garage door as my main point of entry and hide a physical key in the backyard for emergencies (or power outages).

I'm very excited (unreasonably so) to be able to get rid of my keychain completely. Now if everywhere would just take mobile payments I could leave my drivers license in the glove box and not have to carry a wallet either (although what would I do with the backup Model 3 key...).

Reactions: lupend88
Let me explain my situation. I currently own a Chevy Volt, and on the key fob is my key to my house in addition to the car key. When I get my Model 3, I will be excited to drop one less thing to carry, but I will still need my house key. It feels weird to have a keychain with only one key. Is anyone else in this weird school of thought that I am?

I have not carried my car key and house key on the same rings for years and years. The Roadster key is on its own ring. with a Tesla dangle. The house key, mailbox key, and clubhouse/gate key are on their own ring. Those usually go in the cupholder. In the Roadster the house keys went in a small cardboard box for lack of any kind of other storage in the car, other than the little tray on the floor.

If toyed with the idea of a smart lock on my front door. Not sure if these are any good yet.
I purchased a Samsung SmartThings Hub in 2015 and used it with Z-Wave locks for 3 years and toward the end used Alexa to control it. The experience was flawless. But those had backup key operation so there was still the bump key issue. I recently switched to totally key-less units with the HomeKit module so I can lock or unlock my doors from anywhere talking to Siri on my watch or phone. I've had this setup for around 4 months without any issues. The unit I have can accept Z-Wave, Homekit or Bluetooth network modules so if I change my mind later I don't have to change my locks.

SmartThings never failed me but I wanted full iOS Homekit integration so I think either option is good.

I use a key pad to get in the front door. Best thing ever. I highly recommend it.

When we travel, my wife's son house/dog sits. He is incapable (at 28!) of keeping track of a key/phone/jackets/etc, so I have a manual cipher lock on the back door. Definitely have no interest in a net-connected lock.

The house key is on a ring attached to my Sprinter's fob. There is also a mailbox key, a key for the Kia, a key for the garage door and a key for the master bedroom.

Let me explain my situation. I currently own a Chevy Volt, and on the key fob is my key to my house in addition to the car key. When I get my Model 3, I will be excited to drop one less thing to carry, but I will still need my house key. It feels weird to have a keychain with only one key. Is anyone else in this weird school of thought that I am?
I have a smart lock with number pad on all.my house doors and now no longer carry keys with 3. Just slim wallet and phone. So nice not to have to keep track of.

This. We have gone full up Z-wave/smart home inside our house with lights, plugs, etc and love it. But I have concerns about adding smart locks/garage door openers to the mix for that very reason. Even without a company getting hacked or my credentials hacked or whatnot, I worry someone could just yell at my Alexa through the kitchen window to unlock the front door.

But maybe I am just overly paranoid. :)

I don't think you're being paranoid at all. I'm in my mid-20s so I grew up a gadget guy and love the thought of the connected house. I enjoy my smart lights, my Alexa Spot, my Nest Cams and Nest Thermostats. But... the smart locks give me pause.

Even if the company isn't hacked, whats to stop someone to somehow develop a way to locally access your smart lock through a vulnerability in the hardware, in your home's network, or the smart hubs. Yes, you'd have to be a hot target since it would probably take an absurd amount of time to do such things. But who knows... I remember the reports of people abusing signals in keyless entry / start-stop for cars when the tech was new -- some thieves were able to unlock the car within seconds.

I am considering making it a back-up to a regular dead bolt for those times when you hit the road and panic over whether you locked the door or not ;).

I have my mom's key, house key, mailbox key and key to get into my condo grounds (and my condo key)

Mom I can keep in the car, mailbox i can keep at home, condo would be replaced by the smart lock, I'd just need to put my condo grounds key in my wallet.

My place only has a deadbolt, so I'd have to go the deadbolt route, which I believe 1/2 the schlage keypad ones are.

It's tempting.

You lock your house?
Hard for you to get in, easy for burglar.
I don't. My front door is locked with a deadbolt so that it won't blow open but I haven't locked the sliding glass door or some of the windows in more than a decade. I mostly come and go through the garage door or the open sliding glass door. If a burglar did find my remote house locked he would just throw a rock though a window and I'd rather not have the damage. I don't have anything worth stealing anyway.

All this talk about locks makes me glad I don't live in a city/suburbia anymore...

Reactions: outdoors