Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is long range mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cypho

Dec 20, 2018
USA
What is this extended range / long range mode they are talking about that changes how close to zero you can drain the battery and let you beat the EPA estimate by 40 miles?

Have the authors at CR actually driven the cars they write about?

Tesla Ups Ante on Model Y Range, Underscoring Its EV Lead

Tesla’s range estimates are based on using 100 percent of the energy in the battery pack, while most other automakers use estimates based on around 90 percent of the pack’s energy, he says. Charging batteries to less than 100 percent makes them last longer.

Tesla allows its owners to go down to zero through a function called Extended Range Mode, but it warns that using the function will cause battery degradation.

At CR, we’ve found that our range testing has matched the EPA’s testing within single-digit percentage points. Our tested Tesla Model 3 matched the 310 mile range the EPA had pegged it at, and in Long Range mode we achieved 350 miles.

As usual, Consumer Reports conflates multiple things, doesn't explain it properly, and generally doesn't know what they're talking about.

In the article, the phrases "Extended Range Mode" and "Long Range Mode" are phrases CR created on their own. Tesla uses no such phrasing. What they're refering to is the desired battery charge level. Tesla recommends to set the battery charge level to a maximum of 90% for daily use, and use settings greater than this, up to 100%, for road trips where you need the maximum range. Tesla does mention that charging to 100% should be done only when necessary, and that the vehicle should be driven as soon as possible after getting the charge to 100% so that the battery does not sit at 100% charge for a long period.

From my reading of their article, CR tested a 90% charge and got 310 miles of range, and then tested a 100% charge and got 350 miles of range. Those are really good range numbers, their testing must have been in near-ideal conditions.

Now, to futher add to the issue, the Model S and Model X do have a "Range Mode" setting that can be turned on. This setting does a few things to extend the range of the vehicle:

1. It limits the amount of cabin heating and cooling so that the A/C and cabin heat cannot use as much energy.
2. It widens the temperature range for the battery that will trigger active battery cooling or heating so that the A/C compressor and battery heater are not necessary in most cases.
3. On dual-motor Model S and X vehicles, it preferentially sends more torque through the front motor rather than the rear, since A) The front motor is the smaller motor and is more efficient (performance models only), B) The front motor reduction ratio is geared for more efficiency than the rear motor reduction ratio, and C) The front motor is the PMSR motor that is way more efficient than the rear induction motor (Raven builds only). The trade-off here is more noise from the front motor, especially on pre-Raven builds.

The Model 3 does not have this Range Mode setting. Presumably Model Y will not have it either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I alway charge to either 80% or 90%.

But what's really the lowest I should let it go? I usually charge by the time it gets down to between 50 or 65 miles or range left, because the car already gives me warnings (I think it says something about damage to the battery and decreased performance/range). Once I let it go down to 16 miles left of range. What's the best practice for the low end?

I alway charge to either 80% or 90%.

But what's really the lowest I should let it go? I usually charge by the time it gets down to between 50 or 65 miles or range left, because the car already gives me warnings (I think it says something about damage to the battery and decreased performance/range). Once I let it go down to 16 miles left of range. What's the best practice for the low end?

General rule of thumb is to keep it above 20% and below 80% for best longevity.

As usual, Consumer Reports conflates multiple things, doesn't explain it properly, and generally doesn't know what they're talking about.

In the article, the phrases "Extended Range Mode" and "Logn Range Mode" are phrases CR created on their own. Tesla uses no such phrasing. What they're refering to is the desired battery charge level. Tesla recommends to set the battery charge level to a maximum of 90% for daily use, and use settings greater than this, up to 100%, for road trips where you need the maximum range. Tesla does mention that charging to 100% should be done only when necessary, and that the vehicle should be driven as soon as possible after getting the charge to 100% so that the battery does not sit at 100% charge for a long period.

From my reading of their article, CR tested a 90% charge and got 310 miles of range, and then tested a 100% charge and got 350 miles of range. Those are really good range numbers, their testing must have been in near-ideal conditions.

Now, to futher add to the issue, the Model S and Model X do have a "Range Mode" setting that can be turned on. This setting does a few things to extend the range of the vehicle:

1. It limits the amount of cabin heating and cooling so that the A/C and cabin heat cannot use as much energy.
2. It widens the temperature range for the battery that will trigger active battery cooling or heating so that the A/C compressor and battery heater are not necessary in most cases.
3. On dual-motor Model S and X vehicles, it preferentially sends more torque through the front motor rather than the rear, since A) The front motor is the smaller motor and is more efficient (performance models only), B) The front motor reduction ratio is geared for more efficiency than the rear motor reduction ratio, and C) The front motor is the PMSR motor that is way more efficient than the rear induction motor (Raven builds only). The trade-off here is more noise from the front motor, especially on pre-Raven builds.

The Model 3 does not have this Range Mode setting. Presumably Model Y will not have it either.

Hmmm... I wonder where they found 350 miles of downhill gradient coupled with a tailwind?

For the last few years...let's see..from about 1965, I have discounted CR's auto reviews. I've purchased vehicles that they have panned and had very good ownership experiences. My feeling is that they value the subjective above the objective. They just don't care for the things I value in a vehicle, dadgum it. :(

One of the things that I like about CR is that they buy everything they test anonymously to preclude being slipped a ringer by the manufacturer...
Well then how did their car end up with an extra long range button that nobody else has has?

edit: no need to answer, I know they don't have a magic button that nobody else has I'm just giving them a hard time for the nonsense they included in that article.

The only range options under your control in M3s are speed, tire pressure and HVAC temperature settings.

Agreed that is the case on my car. But CR says that their Model 3 has an extended/long range button that unlocks an extra 40 miles.

Tesla allows its owners to go down to zero through a function called Extended Range Mode, but it warns that using the function will cause battery degradation. .. At CR, we’ve found that our range testing has matched the EPA’s testing within single-digit percentage points. Our tested Tesla Model 3 matched the 310 mile range the EPA had pegged it at, and in Long Range mode we achieved 350 miles.

I wonder if someone over there has driven a 2008-2012 Tesla Roadster and thought its Range mode applied to all Teslas. The Roadster Range mode does exactly what they are talking about. When you turn it on it allows you to charge to 100% and it also allows you to drive to 0. Standard drive mode in a Roadster does not allow either.

I have been monitoring my Model 3 Performance's range and efficiency since I bought it in August.
Shutting off all energy draining features (a/c, heating, sport mode, etc) and driving like a grandma I have NEVER
exceeded 270 effective miles range, and more typically get around 240. Temperature has no significant effect.
The car was sold as getting 310, and all its calculations, including when I'd need a supercharger on long trips, are based on 310 miles range, or 3.1 miles per percent battery used. I took it to the service center and showed them my spreadsheet (attached) and all they did
was check the battery and said its all good. So, I love the car, but as my 6th EV I can say it is roughly 30-40% more expensive
in electricity than any of of the others (2 RAV4EVs, 2 Ford Focus EV's 1 Bolt).

Attachments

• Tesla Ghost Drain Track.pdf
    59 KB · Views: 155
Reactions: Sirricardo
Perhaps the cars that Tesla loans to CR have a special journalist mode that adds an extra long range function that no one else gets.

While I have not been happy with CR’s lack of EV understanding, they NEVER accept vehicles loaned from manufacturers or dealers. They ALWAYS purchase these vehicles without alerting the manufacturer or dealer that they work for CR.

I wonder if someone over there has driven a 2008-2012 Tesla Roadster and thought its Range mode applied to all Teslas. The Roadster Range mode does exactly what they are talking about. When you turn it on it allows you to charge to 100% and it also allows you to drive to 0. Standard drive mode in a Roadster does not allow either.
^^ This was exactly my thought when I read what CR wrote. What they describe is almost exactly the way the original Roadster works. When not in Range Mode, the car indicates an empty battery (0 miles left) when the battery is at 10% charge. You have to put it in Range Mode, and accept the warning that comes up, to access the bottom 10% of battery capacity.

• Informative
Reactions: SomeJoe7777
I have been monitoring my Model 3 Performance's range and efficiency since I bought it in August.
Shutting off all energy draining features (a/c, heating, sport mode, etc) and driving like a grandma I have NEVER
exceeded 270 effective miles range, and more typically get around 240. Temperature has no significant effect.
The car was sold as getting 310, and all its calculations, including when I'd need a supercharger on long trips, are based on 310 miles range, or 3.1 miles per percent battery used. I took it to the service center and showed them my spreadsheet (attached) and all they did
was check the battery and said its all good. So, I love the car, but as my 6th EV I can say it is roughly 30-40% more expensive
in electricity than any of of the others (2 RAV4EVs, 2 Ford Focus EV's 1 Bolt).

I don’t have a performance 3, so I don’t know for sure what range they can get being driven like a granny with no HVAC.
Maybe others can comment. Keep in mind, very few EV’s get near the rated range, so the model 3 is not alone.

I thought the RAV4 EV was discontinued in 2014 ? In any case, an EV that has very little tech, and even less punch would use less energy. Hard to compare the two here though, because that’s like saying a Honda Civic is cheaper to run than a BMW....

The Ford Focus uses less electricity, because it has no power output. You can’t really compare the two here either for the same reason.

Efficiency is the comparable here, and the model 3 is second to very few.
You bought a Performance 3 though. You aren’t going to get the same power usage as a Ford Focus or Arab 4.
The car has an estimated range of 310 miles when sold. That’s accurate based on the rating system. Again, attaining estimated range is difficult, because in the real world, we drive differently.