Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the best dash camera for the Model S nowadays?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I realize there are quite a few options for dash cameras nowadays. I was wondering what the most popular dash camera for the Model S is, and what costs one can expect when trying to install the dash camera? I would most likely prefer to have a professional do the install, rather than myself.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

Thanks.

I'm waiting for the Thinkware F800 Pro to be released (supposedly soon) and see how it fares vs the Blackview 750S.

Thinkware F800 non pro is already released but I don't like how the camera portion is silver which makes me feel like it can draw unwanted attention.

I'm waiting for the Thinkware F800 Pro to be released (supposedly soon) and see how it fares vs the Blackview 750S.

Thinkware F800 non pro is already released but I don't like how the camera portion is silver which makes me feel like it can draw unwanted attention.
Isn't there an 880 coming that has the case all black again? Or is that the 800 Pro now? You think Tesla's bad, can't keep up with DashCams (but at least they do have new numbers... :D ).

I've never had a Dashcam before, what would be the cliffnotes to the whole process? If anyone doesn't mind humoring me and catching me up a bit please?
Pick your device based on your criteria, mount your device, and supply power to it. Some people want basic front facing coverage only, some want front and rear, some people need 24/7 surveillance, some only want it when they are driving. Once you decide what kind of coverage you want and when you want it, you can start choosing a device.

Reactions: davidc18
Pick your device based on your criteria, mount your device, and supply power to it. Some people want basic front facing coverage only, some want front and rear, some people need 24/7 surveillance, some only want it when they are driving. Once you decide what kind of coverage you want and when you want it, you can start choosing a device.

I'm thinking front and back for me. I've really only heard of Blackvue, prior to starting this thread. Will have to research based on what everyone's saying.

I Installed the Blackvue DR490.
-1080 front camera
-1080 rear camera
-has a parking mode
-Looks identical to the DR750
-is $200 cheaper than the DR750
-it doesn't have wireless (unlike the DR750)

I am not paying for a hotspot for my Family Joules so the wireless function wasn't going to offer me much value.

I just purchased Blackvue 750 and having it installed next week by a professional dash cam installer recommended on TheDashCamStore website. He's charging me $300 for both front and rear cam installation which is a lot better than the other recommended installer who quoted me $125 by the hour with average install time on Tesla being 4 hours (which is crazy since they said they work on Teslas all the time).

I had a dashcam but getting the tiny card out was a pain and then going inside to copy files to computer, then hopefully not forgetting the card etc.

I remember thinking if they could Wifi this (come home, connects to home network and uploads) that would be great.

Does that exist yet? Or if there was a phone app that could let you control that.

As for the two channel cameras (front and rear) is the rear really necessary? I'd think j most of the interesting stuff would be on front. Generally liability wise getting hit from behind is instantly their fault and you wouldn't likely need a camera to prove that. Seems the modern ones are all 2 channels though.

I had a dashcam but getting the tiny card out was a pain and then going inside to copy files to computer, then hopefully not forgetting the card etc.

I remember thinking if they could Wifi this (come home, connects to home network and uploads) that would be great.

Does that exist yet? Or if there was a phone app that could let you control that.

Exists.

Another TMC member made a downloader to transfer video from the BlackVue 650 over WiFi to PC or Mac

I just purchased Blackvue 750 and having it installed next week by a professional dash cam installer recommended on TheDashCamStore website. He's charging me $300 for both front and rear cam installation which is a lot better than the other recommended installer who quoted me $125 by the hour with average install time on Tesla being 4 hours (which is crazy since they said they work on Teslas all the time).

That's insane.

I've honestly never done a single thing on a car before I purchased my Tesla (to be fair, I only had 1 other car). I installed the front/rear dashcam in 2 hours. The hardest part was running the cables from the speaker grille area through the plastic rearview mirror piece. I also simplified the process by just making the jump from behind the rear seat to the center trim piece in the hatch. That is, I avoided running through the grommet into the hatch, down the hatch, and back up -- that would take a bit of time, and you'd need to make sure you don't break any clips. If they're not running through the grommet, down the hatch, and back up, $300 seems pretty expensive IMO.