Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the difference between Tow Hitch ($1000) and Tow Package ($1300) on Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the confirmation guys. Glad to know they are the same.

When you order the car and hitch at the same time, it just says $1000 for tow hitch that is high strength, Class II steel tow bar capable of towing up to 3,500 lbs.

On the Tow Package page, it says these are included for $1300.

Includes:
  • 1x high-strength steel tow bar with 2" hitch receiver and North America 7-pin standard connector
  • 1x trailer harness
  • 1x tow mode software package
So should you get the trailer harness either way? Ordered my car with tow hitch and did not receive trailer harness. I have the 7 pin NA standard connector, but no trailer harness. I assume trailer harness means a wire harness that connects car to trailer.

Last edited:
Got my answer from Tesla today. If tow hitch is added when ordering ($1000)the wire harness is not included. If the tow package is ordered after the fact and installed after delivery ($1300) the wire harness is included. Complete BS in my opinion. So now I need to purchase a harness.

I have the 7 pin NA standard connector, but no trailer harness.
Sounds like you go what you need.

I assume trailer harness means a wire harness that connects car to trailer.
No, trailers have the wire harness that connects to the receptacle on the car.

Got my answer from Tesla today. If tow hitch is added when ordering ($1000)the wire harness is not included. If the tow package is ordered after the fact and installed after delivery ($1300) the wire harness is included. Complete BS in my opinion. So now I need to purchase a harness.
The only thing I could imagine you might need to buy is the short harness/pigtail to connect a trailer brake controller to the car, which most people don't use. (I think it costs ~$7.)

So trailers have a 7 pin round connector that plugs into the car? I was thinking I needed another wire between car and trailer.
Trailers always have a cable. But there are multiple options for what might be on the end of the cable. 7-pin is really the biggest standard, but some just have a 4, or 5, pin flat connector. (There are adapters available to go between all the different "standards.")

This is incorrect. Doesn’t surprise me given the general level of ignorance from everyone I’ve spoken with. I don’t blame them, but there’s a general lack of training that their service reps have.

I paid $1,300 to add it after the fact, and my hitch has the same 7-pin plug that factory install does. I use a 7-to-5 pin adapter to hook up to my boat trailer, but it’s the same that I use for my Expedition and all of the previous trucks I’ve pulled with.
IMG_1378.jpeg

That makes no sense. I ordered mine with the car and have the receptacle.

When I first started texting with them they said I should have received the harness. Then said “oh, that only comes on Model X hitches”. So I sent the link on the Tesla site that clearly says Model Y comes with 7 pin connector as well as wire harness. To me it meant an adapter harness that connects car to trailer. Then, “oh that only comes with the $1300 package”. Then wanted me to refer the concern to the service center as this was not a delivery day issue. Guess I was looking for something that didn’t exist. Finally they admitted they’d made a mistake.

Attachments

• FE19B43E-2051-4279-A3F4-4B8E1E1DA25C.png
    FE19B43E-2051-4279-A3F4-4B8E1E1DA25C.png
    991.1 KB · Views: 105
When I first started texting with them they said I should have received the harness. Then said “oh, that only comes on Model X hitches”. So I sent the link on the Tesla site that clearly says Model Y comes with 7 pin connector as well as wire harness. To me it meant an adapter harness that connects car to trailer. Then, “oh that only comes with the $1300 package”. Then wanted me to refer the concern to the service center as this was not a delivery day issue. Guess I was looking for something that didn’t exist. Finally they admitted they’d made a mistake.

I’ve never heard of a vehicle that comes with a 7-to-4 pin harness. Most larger trailers, and virtually everything with brakes, use a 7-pin connector that plugs right into the recepticle at the back of the car. This includes campers, enclosed trailers, and anything that needs a 12v feed or electric brake circuit. My utility trailer plugs right in; no adapter required.

If the Model X comes with one, it would be the first I’ve ever heard of a car manufacturer including one with the vehicle.

Reactions: DanDi58
It’s worth posting a bit of an explainer, so I went out and took some photos.

My boat trailer uses a 5-pin connector, which is the same as a standard 4-pin with an additional circuit for the reverse signal. My trailer uses surge brakes, so that reverse circuit disables the brakes so I can back the trailer. I can plug this thing into a 4-pin vehicle plug or a 7-pin with an adapter.

IMG_2824.jpeg

My utility trailer uses a 7-pin connector because it has electric brakes. This connector plugs directly into the Model Y’s receptacle. No adapter required.

IMG_2823.jpeg

I use this 7-to-5 pin adapter to connect my boat trailer to the 7-pin receptacle on my Expedition and my Model Y. They’re about $12 on Amazon, and can be found locally at Walmart and other stores.

IMG_2820.jpegIMG_2821.jpegIMG_2822.jpeg

I’ve never heard of a vehicle manufacturer including an adapter like this. There is nothing to retrofit. A permanently-installed adapter would prevent me from pulling my 7-pin utility trailer because the 4-pin receptacle does not have power, brake, or reverse circuits.

O so your y did come with a receptacle? I thought originally you meant that it didnt.
I think there is some confusion here. ALL of the Tesla hitches, whether installed at the factory or by the Service Center as an accessory, should have the wiring receptacle and Tow Mode software enabled. As I think we've determined here, none of them come with a separate wiring harness that connects a trailer and the tow hitch. Mine certainly did not (factory-installed hitch).

I think there is some confusion here. ALL of the Tesla hitches, whether installed at the factory or by the Service Center as an accessory, should have the wiring receptacle and Tow Mode software enabled. As I think we've determined here, none of them come with a separate wiring harness that connects a trailer and the tow hitch. Mine certainly did not (factory-installed hitch).

I'm debating whether to do delivery now w/o hitch do later and maybe get some credit card points for the extra $300. Other option is to change config and delay. No rush given the price drops and incentive likely

Main reason would be luggage rack or put something on to protect bumper

After using my OEM hitch a few times, I have a few thoughts. Mine was installed after purchase at my service center, and I believe factory-installations come the same way.

So far, I’ve pulled my 3,500-lb boat 150 miles, and an empty utility trailer 80. The hitch is solid as a rock. There’s no perceptible flex, and the short overhang behind the rear wheels means that sway is well-controlled. It’s the most comfortable vehicle I’ve ever pulled this boat with, but range is obviously a concern.

IMG_2862.jpegIMG_3049.jpeg

My only criticism is access. The loops for the breakaway chains are above the receiver, and there isn’t much clearance to get the chains attached. I twisted mine pretty tight, but they still drag against the bottom lip of the bumper, and I‘m concerned they will mark up the exterior. Not much I can do about that, though.

IMG_2699.jpeg

I REALLY like having a 7-pin connector. This makes the car fully compatible with both trailers, each with a different type of brake system. The reverse circuit in the connector enables the reverse override of my boat trailer, and there is an electric brake circuit for trailers like my utility trailer. This is the only vehicle I’ve ever seen rated for 3,500 lbs that comes with a 7-pin connector.

Reactions: yblaser
My only criticism is access. The loops for the breakaway chains are above the receiver, and there isn’t much clearance to get the chains attached. I twisted mine pretty tight, but they still drag against the bottom lip of the bumper, and I‘m concerned they will mark up the exterior. Not much I can do about that, though.
Have you tried chain covers? You would still get rubbing but at least it's not the metal surface of the chain rubbing.

Have you tried chain covers? You would still get rubbing but at least it's not the metal surface of the chain rubbing.

Thanks, that might be worth looking at.

Another thought is how to deal with the hitch cover. I can't live with a missing cover, and I tow frequently during the summer. I bought this magnetic cover upon a recommendation I got from another thread, and I'm pleased with how it worked out.

It uses magnets to stay in place, and it's survived about 10 trips through the carwash without any issues. I kept my OEM cover for the winter months when I'm not using the hitch, but this is perfect for quick and easy removal without tools or scratching up the bumper cover.

D22F9FEA-9B56-4DBE-8A0A-62262519A882_1_105_c.jpeg

Reactions: Ken43 and yblaser