Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the future of 100 mile EVs? Leaf, Focus, eGolf?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
almost every response is here is eloquent about why a used Leaf for less than $10K is worth the trouble. But a new one at $24K (after incentives)?, I am not sure anyone should bother, with another 4 grand you can get a M3 or Bolt with more than double the range.

Reactions: GSP
The Bolt and the 3 are certainly going to put price caps on lesser EVs, but they have viable roles as second or third cars for families.

A used Leaf is pretty much the perfect car to give a teenager - cheap to buy, cheap to run, safe, reliable, not powerful enough to be dangerous but quick enough for some fun, and you know they won't wander too far with it...
I'm jealous of all the people that aren't paranoid about safety. I could save so much money if I just bought a used $10,000 Leaf for me and my family, instead of a Model S. I definetly wouldn't want my daughter driving something that small with all of the SUVs out there.

I think Nissan has realized that even with a bigger battery their car is short on tech and styling. I think the will release a new design in July. I think it will be a 200 mile car, with better styling ind technology. That being said I doubt it will have autopilot.

Safety is an issue

You mean it has a habit of spontaneously bursting into flames? Oh you mean it is less heavier than an S, and so it has be unsafe? Give me a break, almost all the cars in it's price range ($25K or less) are the same weight or less.

I agree more the weight, more the safety, but Leaf is not unsafe enough to be not driven on the highway.

Please don't judge safety strictly by size. Paranoia should induce research. The NHTSA decides what is safe only after extensive tests with actual cars.

Thank you kindly.
I've done the research. I was going to get a Leaf prior to my research. I think it's a reasonably safe car for it's size. If every other car on the road wasn't a giant SUV or a pickup, I wouldn't be so worried. Only the paranoid survive.

Reactions: davidc18
I'm jealous of all the people that aren't paranoid about safety. I could save so much money if I just bought a used $10,000 Leaf for me and my family, instead of a Model S. I definetly wouldn't want my daughter driving something that small with all of the SUVs out there.

Driver death rates

Just take a look at death rates by car and you'll see that rates vary enough by model that it's obvious that the biggest factor is actually the driver. The Leaf isn't a subcompact, it's a roomy compact/small mid-size, so if you don't want your daughter to drive a Leaf, you don't want her to drive at all.

Reactions: GSP

I'm not sure size of a vehicle has as much to do about safety as you think it does.

Reactions: davidc18 and Topher
If a Leaf and a Model S crashed head on at 40 mph, what car would you rather be in?

Which car has the higher safety rating for head on collisions?

Why would I answer anything else? Turns out its the Model S, which has a 5 star rating as opposed to the 4 star rating of the Leaf. Why would I substitute an easily find-able rating by professionals who do actual tests for a single dimensional assessment based merely on bulk? I pay good money for those professionals, and their tests, I am going to get the advantage they provide.

That is what REAL paranoia looks like. That is what REAL concern for the safety of one's family looks like. Not some ego inflating idea that one can do better by merely looking.

Thank you kindly.

almost every response is here is eloquent about why a used Leaf for less than $10K is worth the trouble. But a new one at $24K (after incentives)?, I am not sure anyone should bother, with another 4 grand you can get a M3 or Bolt with more than double the range.

Unfortunately one cannot buy a Bolt or an M3 today and likely not for a year in most of the nation. Likely two years for the M3 unless you have an early reservation. But one can easily buy a Leaf today.

Reactions: davidc18
Unfortunately one cannot buy a Bolt or an M3 today and likely not for a year in most of the nation. Likely two years for the M3 unless you have an early reservation. But one can easily buy a Leaf today.

The trouble is, one will be able to sell it, in a year (or 2), for the aforementioned $10k. That depreciation seems a bit steep. One might claim (as I often do) that you should buy a car for long term value (15 years), but in that case the case for waiting for a Bolt or Model 3 is even stronger.

All the 100 mile range EVs are going to be a hard sell (new) once Bolts or Model 3s are readily available. Their manufacturers should be on notice. OTOH, that means the used market should be rife with deals for those people who can use a 80 mile range car. The success of the Model 3 (and hopeful success of the Bolt) should keep the infrastructure for such cars available.

A hundred mile range car is NOT worth the cost of a 200 mile range car minus the cost of 100 miles of range-worth of batteries (let's call it $5,000). That is the dilemma for makers. Elon is right about the sweet spot.

Thank you kindly.