Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the one feature you would like to see added to the Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I guess you’ve had issues with Phantom braking? Because you can turn on the TACC without using lane assist. I’ve only experienced phantom breaking once, When the system got confused by a car on an overpass, but otherwise hasn’t been an issue for me.
I've actually only experienced phantom braking once, so it's not really about that. I was also using "autopilot" interchangeably with TACC, as both rely on the cameras. I guess wanting "dumb" cruise is just so we can have a fallback when TACC/autopilot cameras aren't usable such as in the snow condition I described in my previous post, or if someone experienced a lot of phantom braking and don't want to use TACC/autopilot.

Before delivery, Car Play was near top of my list, but now I am wondering what I really meant when I said I would like Car Play and are there alternative ways Tesla can achieve it.

For rental cars, Car Play is great. We can get into any relatively newer rental car and don't need to worry about their native infotainment UI. Really useful. For a personal vehicle, for me personally, it comes to music apps and Waze. Have only had the Y for a week, but from what I can gather if we have Spotify Premium (and we do) the experience is great. But if it is some other music subscription, we go back a decade to using bluetooth. Same for maps. If we like the default maps, great. If we want something else like Waze, we have to deal with the ugliness of having a phone mount next to the giant display. Both issues would be solved if Tesla had an App Store and worked with popular music subscription & map vendors to add support. I am sure an app store can bring lot of other functionality as well but needs to be done in a controlled manner to avoid distracting driver (like Car Play does).

TL;DR My uninformed n00b opinion is that a Tesla App Store with pluggable maps would be awesome.

When I first took delivery I would've very quickly said CarPlay. Having driven it for 10k miles (yes 10k in 4 months) there's no question I'd want the suspension. That ba-dump, ba-dump, ba-dump, ba-dump, ba-dump, ba-dump over and over driving on a road with just minor sealant running across it can be enough that I try to find another lane that I won't be subjected to it. Was never a consideration in any other vehicle prior.

That said, I also wouldn't ever want another vehicle.

Reactions: GadgetGary
Before delivery, Car Play was near top of my list, but now I am wondering what I really meant when I said I would like Car Play and are there alternative ways Tesla can achieve it.

For rental cars, Car Play is great. We can get into any relatively newer rental car and don't need to worry about their native infotainment UI. Really useful. For a personal vehicle, for me personally, it comes to music apps and Waze. Have only had the Y for a week, but from what I can gather if we have Spotify Premium (and we do) the experience is great. But if it is some other music subscription, we go back a decade to using bluetooth. Same for maps. If we like the default maps, great. If we want something else like Waze, we have to deal with the ugliness of having a phone mount next to the giant display. Both issues would be solved if Tesla had an App Store and worked with popular music subscription & map vendors to add support. I am sure an app store can bring lot of other functionality as well but needs to be done in a controlled manner to avoid distracting driver (like Car Play does).

TL;DR My uninformed n00b opinion is that a Tesla App Store with pluggable maps would be awesome.
For Waze I put my phone on the charging pad, run Waze on the phone, and set the sounds to Alerts Only. I can enjoy the big gorgeous satellite display and still get all the important warnings from Waze.

Why not add the Model S to this too? Looks like most of the Model Y folks don't want much.....NOT! It's difficult to just list ONE item for any model. FWIW, here's my "short" list for Model S Refresh. Some apply to all models.
--Adjustable lane position when on autopilot (fudge to one side or another by 6-12 inches or so....not always centered.)
--Heads Up Display (HUD)
--Get rid of the swipe to change gears....try buttons on the screen like "Park" is already.
--Put the horn onto the Airbag housing in the center of the yoke/wheel. The way it is now (tiny button), you couldn't find it on a bet in an emergency.
--Work harder to get the FSD up and running reliably, ASAP for us lousy drivers. Only Beta folks get to "enjoy" it now.

• Disagree
Reactions: Daniel L
The OP asks for "one feature" and literally every reply has like four, LOL. I understand the challenge to just narrow it down to one because there are so many things everyone wants, but that's why it's fun. It's not a ranked-order system. 😅

For me, it's the frunk. It's such a good feature of EV's that ICE cars just don't have. But it sucks that it clunks hard when it opens and there is no sensor/button like the trunk does. And you have to push hard to close it risking bending the front hood. If the operation is as smooth and effortless as the trunk, then I would use it for every grocery trip. It's the perfect size and much lower clearance when inside a home garage. Some kind of kick sensor + hydraulics would be ideal.

I've seen great videos of how to install the hydraulics kit to make it smooth and pigg-back on the existing app feature, but it's expensive and potentially voids the warranty (guessing on my part). Wish Tesla improves on this feature in the future.

Standard equipment on most comparably priced and less expensive cars, including:

1. Competent automatic headlights
2. Competent automatic windshield wipers
3. Competent navigation with traffic alerts and speed traps and ability to enlarge the fonts
4. Front camera
5. Dumb cruise control
6. Cross traffic alert
7. Comfortable suspension
8. Infotainment that doesn't default to a service I never use at every startup
9. HVAC that sends warm air to the feet during cold weather

Reactions: GadgetGary