Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the one thing you can change????

What is your biggest gripe?

• Headlights/Lack of Exterior Lighting Visibility while Driving

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Cheaply Made Interior

Votes: 20 17.2%
  • Uncomfortable Seats

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Lack of Vanity Mirror Lighting

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Lack of Clothing Hooks

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Cabin/Wind Noise

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • Lack of 360 Parking Bird's Eye View

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Lack of Rear Seat Pockets

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • Navigation System

Votes: 18 15.5%
  • Lack of Steering Wheel Controls (Audio, etc).

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My gripe is the real old one of lack of grab handles. For older people, this is a mobility issue. I use them in every other car I get into. I have had to make an adaptation to get into and out of the S.
This. My 91 year old mother had a lot of difficulty getting out of my car without grab handles.

I have the narrow visors, which I don't like. I raised my seat so they work ok but for someone shorter they would be completely inadequate.

I agree that the nav system chooses some odd routes, but I mostly use it on road trips to plot energy and to find Supercharger Stations and it is decent for that (except for Flagstaff AZ — the last instruction is flat wrong and I had a lot of trouble at night figuring out where that one was hidden). Otherwise, I know where I am going for the most part. I do like that when I miss a turn it is very quick to plot a new route.

I agree with grab handles. Second choice would be frunk closing; it either needs power close or strengthening to eliminate the worry of damaging the hood when closing it (I assume they haven't added any strengthening since my mid 2014 model, but who knows, sometimes they sneak changes like that in without me noticing).

I have the original Nappa Leather Seats. Compared to my previous car, BMW 328xi with Sport seats, I am not noticing much of a difference, but I haven't driven in the car longer than 45 minutes so far at a time. It's quite possible after a long road trip, I might feel differently. I also think back problems are one of the most complex kind of medical conditions humans face, so I do think Tesla should give better seat lumbar options and positions to provide options overall.

The problem with seats is sitting. No matter how good the seat it's not good for the back to sit for any length of time. That's what my neurologist told me when he discovered herniated discs in L3 and L4 in my back. He told to me to stand as long as possible. I work standing up but can't drive that way. Interestingly, for me at least, the Tesla seats cause me no back pain. But back pain is very much an individual thing.

Interesting to see all the responses. I honestly don't have problems with the seats, cheap interior, cabin noise, but i think I come from a different perspective. My prior cars have been used - like really used - and cheap (hundayi elantras, pontiac vibe, chevy nova - not the cool kind, etc.). My Nissan Leaf was my first new car, and my wife's chevy volt hers. To us, those were INSANELY premium cars. Like wow premium and mine even had cloth seats! Never own nor drove lexuses, bmws, Mercedes, etc. My wife did own an used audi tt - but it was more of a fun little sports car that was fairly old and didn't even have bluetooth or other standard amenities when we purchased it.

That said birds eye came a close second. I like the newer type safety features (I consider this one) and it would have been nice to have. But my biggest gripe: Navigation---UGGGHHH. As an extremely tech savy person it just KILLS me with the navigation algorithm on the car. Its just plain bad even with access to traffic data. Google Navigation, Waves, etc are so superior in routing and time savings. I actually just use my phones navigation instead (and when will they allow app mirror or at least android auto/apple car!!). Honestly Tesla should just give up on this one (mostly) and allow the experienced people to do their navigation. The only highlight is accounting for superchargers on road trips. But even that is a bit klunky (no return trips to fact, no destination charging to add).

My gripe is the real old one of lack of grab handles. For older people, this is a mobility issue. I use them in every other car I get into. I have had to make an adaptation to get into and out of the S.

Ditto. My wife is in a wheelchair and I have to admit, it never occurred to me to look for grab handles since I couldn't imagine a car at this level not having any. It's a real problem for people with mobility issues. What kind of adaptation did you make?

If i had to do the poll over again, I would have added two more choices:

1) Lack of Apps Available/Phone Mirroring
2) Getting in and out of the car. I am able bodied and find myself kicking the door to climb out of it (which then gets the door filthy). I can't even imagine how challenging it is for people with disabilities.

Second choice would be frunk closing; it either needs power close or strengthening to eliminate the worry of damaging the hood when closing it
Yes this! I'd forgotten this as I never use the frunk for fear of damage to the hood or paint - electric lift is the correct solution. Would have the kids put their bags in their for school - but NO chance in case they, or a 'helpful' passerby try to close it!

Yes this! I'd forgotten this as I never use the frunk for fear of damage to the hood or paint - electric lift is the correct solution. Would have the kids put their bags in their for school - but NO chance in case they, or a 'helpful' passerby try to close it!
This is definitely another gripe I could have added. That being said, I can't consider this one too big since most car's never had frunks to begin with :)

I like the car, but the few things I'd love to change,

- Drop the price, and make it a 150 mile range car, and smaller (Model 3 I guess?)
- Make repairs and cost of ownership much much much MUCH lower.
- Improve reliability and service center wait times and responsiveness.
- Improve interiors, esp. sound deadening.
- Add heated foot wells, probably EV friendly, won't add a lot of cost, and would make the car a lot more comfy.

Reactions: William3
The problem with seats is sitting. No matter how good the seat it's not good for the back to sit for any length of time. That's what my neurologist told me when he discovered herniated discs in L3 and L4 in my back. He told to me to stand as long as possible. I work standing up but can't drive that way. Interestingly, for me at least, the Tesla seats cause me no back pain. But back pain is very much an individual thing.
Have you considered switching to a chariot?
I guarantee you the ladies will love it, plus you'll be standing.
Suggested name: "Swing Low".

Biggest gripe for me is not being able to send waze/google maps routes to the in-car nav. In my other BMW you can send google maps from your phone/computer to your in-car nav. I'm not asking for fancy traffic detection or accident/cop reports, I just want good routes because the routes that Tesla gives me are almost always questionable.

Have you tried the custom Waze app for Tesla ... Waze for Tesla Incidents and Supercharger Traffic :cool:

upload_2017-2-22_23-10-36.png

• Disagree
Reactions: Blueeyedme

Yeah I used it, but only for maybe a day or two then realized my phone was still a million times better lol. What I mentioned in my post is that I want the more efficient routes from waze, not just being able to see accidents and such. This is because from the few times I've used the in-car nav it always makes me take this weird route and I just end up turning off the navigation and going back to using my phone/brain because I know better routes.

Reactions: Blueeyedme