Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the per kW cost at SuperChargers in the NYC metro area?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Galve2000

May 20, 2013
NYC
What is the cost per kW at Superchargers in NYC, Brooklyn, Hudson Valley, and Long Island?

What is the per minute rate at SCers in NJ?

my Model S was hit by a careless driver while it was parked at the garage at work. it is most likely reparable, but with prices coming down and AP 2.5 getting smarter, I think it's time to let my baby go.

I would lose free SCing and this is a problem as in the past year or so 95% of my charging happens at SCers in the area, as I have nowhere to charge at home or work. these are mostly paid garages, so charging is certainly not free, but my next Model S will also insure a separate cost to charge besides the "parking cost" and I would like to factor this into my calculation.

for most people, it makes sense to get a $5000 discount in leu of free SCing, but I don't know that I belong in this category.

so it is $0.28/kWh all over the united states where they charge per kWh?

I thought I read somewhere that this figure is an average and that different rates are actually posted on the Nav screen.

my current Model S has free supercharging "for life" so that information is not available on my Nav screen.

this is what I am asking.

From the Tesla supercharging support page Supercharging

$ 0.26 per minute above 60 kW
$ 0.13 per minute at or below 60 kW

$ 0.28 per kWh
NO, NO, NO. Those are the average for all US locations that use per minute charging. Not the specific prices for NYC superchargers. This is one of the bullet points above the drop down menu on that page:
Average pricing information is provided below and specific pricing for each Supercharger location is shown in the navigation application on the vehicle touchscreen.

As far as I know, the only place that lists actual prices is the in-car nav. This was a change that Tesla made after going to individual location pricing, instead of statewide pricing. It's likely that the prices are close-ish to the average, but they could still be quite different. Need someone who pays for supercharging to confirm actual prices.

• Informative
Reactions: VQTRVA
Remember too, constantly using a super charger is bad for the battery.
Except there's no evidence to support this. And the only study we've seen says the opposite - frequent supercharging appears to be correlated with reduced degradation, likely because of less time spent at high temperature.

While fast in absolute terms, Supercharging isn't that fast relative to the battery size. 120kW on an 85kWh battery is around 1.4C, and it rapidly tapers to under 1C. Li-Ion batteries can handle that fine. Your laptop/cellphone likely charges at around that rate.

Except there's no evidence to support this. And the only study we've seen says the opposite - frequent supercharging appears to be correlated with reduced degradation, likely because of less time spent at high temperature.

While fast in absolute terms, Supercharging isn't that fast relative to the battery size. 120kW on an 85kWh battery is around 1.4C, and it rapidly tapers to under 1C. Li-Ion batteries can handle that fine. Your laptop/cellphone likely charges at around that rate.
Well, we do know that for older cars with lots and lots of supercharging, eventually their ability to use the max power when supercharging was reduced. I.e. they got limited power, down to 90 kW max. Tesla's explanation being that it was to protect the battery from the degradation effects of supercharging. I'm not sure whether this is still an issue for newer Model S/X or whether it will ever be an issue for cars using Tesla's new 2170 battery cells, but I don't think that in the face of this and Tesla's own guidance it's quite fair to say that there's no evidence to support the idea that constant supercharging can be bad for the battery even if the publicly available data doesn't show it causing gross degradation.

Last edited:

You do you. I'll continue to follow Tesla advice. And no, it's not up to me to provide the from Tesla guidance.

Well, we do know that for older cars with lots and lots of supercharging, eventually their ability to use the max power when supercharging was reduced. I.e. they got limited power, down to 90 kW max. Tesla's explanation being that it was to protect the battery from the degradation effects of supercharging. I'm not sure whether this is still an issue for newer Model S/X or whether it will ever be an issue for cars using Tesla's new 2170 battery cells, but I don't think that in the face of this and Tesla's own guidance it's quite fair to say that there's no evidence to support the idea that constant supercharging can be bad for the battery even if the publicly available data doesn't show it causing gross degradation.
Rev A 85's were limited to 90kW. Early (all?) 90kWh packs saw some (but let's face it, minimal) throttling after an unspecified number of DCFC sessions (Chademo or Supercharging), but not other sizes. At 75k miles, my car may be tapering a bit earlier, but not enough to make a huge impact in total charge time. It's still consistently ready to go before I am.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
What is the cost per kW at Superchargers in NYC, Brooklyn, Hudson Valley, and Long Island?

What is the per minute rate at SCers in NJ?

my Model S was hit by a careless driver while it was parked at the garage at work. it is most likely reparable, but with prices coming down and AP 2.5 getting smarter, I think it's time to let my baby go.

I would lose free SCing and this is a problem as in the past year or so 95% of my charging happens at SCers in the area, as I have nowhere to charge at home or work. these are mostly paid garages, so charging is certainly not free, but my next Model S will also insure a separate cost to charge besides the "parking cost" and I would like to factor this into my calculation.

for most people, it makes sense to get a $5000 discount in leu of free SCing, but I don't know that I belong in this category.
Ya know Used/CPO come with UFSC. I'd look for a newer S100D/LR and go with that...vs bnib.
Dzm