Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this high pitched cricket like noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just saw somebody write about this sound on Reddit

This is what caught my eye

> Basically my new model y has a high pitched chirping that is an issue they are aware of on some model y vehicles and say they have no fix for. They showed me an article on their system 6630200 that basically shows the noise and then explains that there is no current fix for it.

> Basically my new model y has a high pitched chirping that is an issue they are aware of on some model y vehicles and say they have no fix for. They showed me an article on their system 6630200 that basically shows the noise and then explains that there is no current fix for it.
I was told the same thing except that engineering is “working on a fix”. What I want to know; are they actively seeking a solution or are they just telling us that to keep this from proceeding down a different path. If they’re working on one, fine. If they’re not; that’s a problem.

Do you have a copy of that article? I am curios to see what the verbiage states.

Do you have a copy of that article? I am curios to see what the verbiage states.
Same, but I don’t. Hoping someone else in here can surface it somehow

I was happy because the problem doesn’t have a concrete name so far except “chirping” or “crickets”. Having a number (that Tesla created!) which you can use to search for and reference might help pull various threads across the internet together

And even if there isn't a fix yet, the fact that Tesla has documented the problem is, I think, a good step forward. So many responses in here are about service centre technicians who couldn't hear or pretended they couldn't hear the sound

I was getting a squeaky noise also like a cricket. But my 2023 MYLR was conditioning the battery in my garage it seems. It was not scheduled to do that also. The inside of the car was not conditioning. It was cold outside, about 25F. Strange I have never seen it do that.

So I had an appointment at the SC today for this issue. The technician acknowledged the noise even if it was not as obvious as it can be. Videos from this thread helped so thank you all for that.

They "worked" on the car all day to do nothing because "the noise was not loud enough to diagnose the issue".

So nothing changed and it will stay like that I think. I can't go to the SC regularly anyway.

Is called the Tesla noise.
Every Tesla has it.
Every Tesla absolutely does NOT have it.

My Model Y has this cricket/screeching/chirping noise. My wife's Model Y does not. The loaner Model Y that I received while mine was in the shop does not.

I've driven other Teslas that also do not have this noise. I know what Tesla noises sound normal and are part of the experience. This is a noise that other Teslas that I have driven do not make.

Every Tesla absolutely does NOT have it.

My Model Y has this cricket/screeching/chirping noise. My wife's Model Y does not. The loaner Model Y that I received while mine was in the shop does not.

I've driven other Teslas that also do not have this noise. I know what Tesla noises sound normal and are part of the experience. This is a noise that other Teslas that I have driven do not make.
Agreed. My wife and I have been unfortunate enough to need FDU replacements on both our 3 and Y for this issue. Tesla 100% would not replace a drive unit for something that was normal for the vehicle...

Reactions: Happy Hippo
Should I press higher than the service center to try and have the FDU change? Maybe an email to the headquarters of my country?

The service center will not help I'm afraid...

I don't have high hopes regarding a fix from the engineering department...

Just had a visit to the SC yesterday for our Model Y continuing to make this noise after a FDU replacement last spring. What I heard from the team definitely validated what those in this forum have been saying.

When my Model 3's FDU was replaced in late 2022 the narrative was "we are starting to see a few of these; let's get your FDU replaced and see if that helps" to the spring 2023 replacement for the Y where the narrative was "Tesla engineering is now blocking us from approving the FDU replacement ourselves and say they need an audio recording before we can do any work on your vehicle" to now the messaging being "Tesla engineering is aware of the issue and are not doing FDU replacements until they've been able to diagnose the issue". They did say that there's a spectrum to how bad the noise can be and that if it's an absolutely screecher they'd go ahead and replace now as good will, but they didn't feel our case met that threshold, and frankly I agree. It's there, it's annoying, and I definitely want it fixed correctly eventually, but it is not as bad as it had been before the FDU replacement.

As we left things they said they could pass my VIN to Tesla engineering, but that there's no list they're tracking of people to reach back out to once a fix is identified, so I'll just plan to keep watching this thread and calling in to my contacts at the SC every so often to get an update. Fingers crossed they get a permanent fix figured out before next winter... Frustrating having to deal with this through the winter months.

Now, based on what he said, I went searching and found this. I believe this is the noise that we're hearing and he was absolutely right about it being a ball bearing. Is the ball bearing failing? I don't think so. I think the metal balls are contracting (maybe a revision shrunk them which was fine in normal temps, not in cold temps) and/or the lubricant is struggling to do its job and we're hearing the balls race around the bearing above a certain speed/below a certain temperature. It's just a theory, but if Tesla changed something (new revision), it would explain why some folks had success with a drive unit replacement (perhaps an older revision/using an older ball bearing design/lubricant) and some haven't.
I think you might be right on with this theory.

Supported by the fact that way way back in this thread, it Tesla themselves called said the issue was "one of the bearings in the drive unit that was replaced previously was burnt out, likely came that way from the factory" (this was Benito1283's second FDU, hence the "replaced previously")

The SC even said "this diagnosed and confirmed by the technician, our shop foreman, and shop manager as well as the engineering team." So they sounded pretty confident on the bad bearing theory.

Benito1283 asked why the second replacement had the same noise as the original. The SC basically implied that a lot of these units could have this manufacturing defect:
"They did replace your drive unit. The parts have different serial numbers. It is entirely possible that the drive unit from factory had the issue, and then the one we ordered and replaced had the exact same issue from when it was manufactured."