Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this high pitched cricket like noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you might be right on with this theory.

Supported by the fact that way way back in this thread, it Tesla themselves called said the issue was "one of the bearings in the drive unit that was replaced previously was burnt out, likely came that way from the factory" (this was Benito1283's second FDU, hence the "replaced previously")

The SC even said "this diagnosed and confirmed by the technician, our shop foreman, and shop manager as well as the engineering team." So they sounded pretty confident on the bad bearing theory.

Benito1283 asked why the second replacement had the same noise as the original. The SC basically implied that a lot of these units could have this manufacturing defect:
"They did replace your drive unit. The parts have different serial numbers. It is entirely possible that the drive unit from factory had the issue, and then the one we ordered and replaced had the exact same issue from when it was manufactured."
For anyone wondering, my second replacement (March 2022) remains chirp free.

I think you might be right on with this theory.

Supported by the fact that way way back in this thread, it Tesla themselves called said the issue was "one of the bearings in the drive unit that was replaced previously was burnt out, likely came that way from the factory" (this was Benito1283's second FDU, hence the "replaced previously")

The SC even said "this diagnosed and confirmed by the technician, our shop foreman, and shop manager as well as the engineering team." So they sounded pretty confident on the bad bearing theory.

Benito1283 asked why the second replacement had the same noise as the original. The SC basically implied that a lot of these units could have this manufacturing defect:
"They did replace your drive unit. The parts have different serial numbers. It is entirely possible that the drive unit from factory had the issue, and then the one we ordered and replaced had the exact same issue from when it was manufactured."
Makes a lot of sense! Hopefully Tesla engineers are actually working the issue as some have reported and this is addressed soon as a service bulletin or perhaps even a recall if deemed to have serious enough possible consequences.

I had service appointment #5 for this issue scheduled for tomorrow, but based on this recent discussion, I cancelled for now awaiting further developments. I hope that strategy pays off.

Makes a lot of sense! Hopefully Tesla engineers are actually working the issue as some have reported and this is addressed soon as a service bulletin or perhaps even a recall if deemed to have serious enough possible consequences.

I had service appointment #5 for this issue scheduled for tomorrow, but based on this recent discussion, I cancelled for now awaiting further developments. I hope that strategy pays off.
I'm with you. I have had three visits already with the same responses. I am being certain to download copies of all my service visits in case the the remedy doesn't come through until I am out of warranty.

Reactions: cwhite51
The odds of replacing one faulty drive unit with a second that is immediately faulty out of the box, is essentially zero. To me, this points at them not actually replacing it until the "second" go around. I have also had enough interracions with Tesla as a company over the last 5 years that I have no faith they are actually working on a fix or intending to do right by their loyal customers.

Last edited:
if it's an absolutely screecher they'd go ahead and replace now as good will,
This is interesting Tesla mentioned "screeching". My 2023 Y has definitely progressed from subtle chirp to a screech over the past 15,000 miles. For me the screeching noise remains right at 10kHz, but is much more consistent (less intermittent) than it was before. The fact that the noise is not staying the same over time (temp and speed aside) makes me nervous that something is slowly breaking down and may fail during a drive (like a bearing). I'm taking a similar approach to many others on this thread- I've had my service center visits and got nowhere, so now am biding my time waiting to hear that either Tesla has a fix and/or others are starting to have luck with their service center fixing it somehow. For now it seems like the best option is to deal with this embarrassing annoying noise and hope that Tesla is actually working on a fix.

Reactions: Ts91
My 2023 Model Y Long Range (6/2023 delivery) makes a similar high pitched noise around 50 MPH.
The noise is within the range of 8k-10k Hz with 30dB gain. See the attached snapshot of a recording on GarageBand.

It usually starts around 50 MPH, but is otherwise present in a much wider range.
After it starts, even if speeds go below 50 MPH, the noise still tends to stay until the speed is below 30 MPH.
Noise is intermittent and comes and goes with seemingly no input from the driver.

Here is a video demonstrating the noise on audio analyzer: Tesla Noise
The noise starts around the 8th second. Notice the spike in intensities around the 8k-10k Hz range when the noise starts.

Tesla says this is a normal operating sound, even though it is not one of the noises they have under their Normal Operating Sounds list.

1st SC visit - tech said they can't hear it.

2nd SC visit - they can hear it, it is a "gear lash", normal noise, most Teslas make it, some are worse than others. Come back later so that eng team can have a look as well.

3rd SC visit - they can hear it, it is a "bearing in FDU", normal noise, no risk to reliability or safety. Though as a goodwill they offer replacing the FDU with a remanufactured unit as a one time thing only. Even if the noise gets worse, no further replacements will be done. They did mention past replacements had a low success rate.

I took the case to NCDS arbitration requesting replacement or repurchase on the grounds that the noise isn't one of their Normal Operating Sounds and that Tesla refuses to take responsibility to fix it if the replacement doesn't work or makes it worse.

NCDS denied the claim. Rationale - "a subjective impairment that one driver may find unacceptable, but another driver may find normal."

Those that proceeded with FDU replacement - did they replace with a new or remanufactured FDU? @Benito1283

Has anyone succeeded enforcing state's "lemon low"?

30dB gain screenshot.png

• Informative
Reactions: Ts91 and cwhite51
My 2023 Model Y Long Range (6/2023 delivery) makes a similar high pitched noise around 50 MPH.
The noise is within the range of 8k-10k Hz with 30dB gain. See the attached snapshot of a recording on GarageBand.

It usually starts around 50 MPH, but is otherwise present in a much wider range.
After it starts, even if speeds go below 50 MPH, the noise still tends to stay until the speed is below 30 MPH.
Noise is intermittent and comes and goes with seemingly no input from the driver.

The noise starts around the 8th second. Notice the spike in intensities around the 8k-10k Hz range when the noise starts.

Tesla says this is a normal operating sound, even though it is not one of the noises they have under their Normal Operating Sounds list.

2nd SC visit - they can hear it, it is a "gear lash", normal noise, most Teslas make it, some are worse than others. Come back later so that eng team can have a look as well.

3rd SC visit - they can hear it, it is a "bearing in FDU", normal noise, no risk to reliability or safety. Though as a goodwill they offer replacing the FDU with a remanufactured unit as a one time thing only. Even if the noise gets worse, no further replacements will be done. They did mention past replacements had a low success rate.

I took the case to NCDS arbitration requesting replacement or repurchase on the grounds that the noise isn't one of their Normal Operating Sounds and that Tesla refuses to take responsibility to fix it if the replacement doesn't work or makes it worse.

NCDS denied the claim. Rationale - "a subjective impairment that one driver may find unacceptable, but another driver may find normal."

Those that proceeded with FDU replacement - did they replace with a new or remanufactured FDU? @Benito1283

View attachment 1010682
My replacements were remanufactured drive units. I would definitely take them up on the replacement.

The odds of replacing one faulty drive unit with a second that is immediately faulty out of the box, is essentially zero. To me, this points at them not actually replacing it until the "second" go around. I have also had enough interracions with Tesla as a company over the last 5 years that I have no faith they are actually working on a fix or intending to do right by their loyal customers.
If this is a manufacturing defect, and say hypothetically 50% of FDUs produced have this issue, then the replacement would have a 50% of having the issue. Hard to determine what that percentage really is (unless your Tesla), but my guess is pretty high.

Very anecdotal/small sample size, but I've found a bunch of videos of unrelated rattles on this forum, and I can hear the noise in the background of a bunch of them. The owners don't seem to notice or care. Combine that with the noise needing colder temps, a newer model year (2022+ or so), and someone young enough to hear the noise, it starts seeming more plausible that this issue could just be lurking unnoticed in a large portion of dual motor M3/MYs.

Reactions: Benito1283

View attachment 1010682
OP here and after 26k miles we still have the noise now that it's cool again in Florida. It is exactly like in your recording...not constant but on and off randomly...pitch sounds exactly the same. We recently added a 2023 MYRWD to the fleet and no noise since we, and most others, suspect this is coming from the FDU. Also the build quality of the late 2023 is noticeably better than our early 2022. After spending so much time in the 2022, I immediately noticed the difference.

I'm still holding out for the "official" fix if one is even coming since we still have quite a bit of warranty time left.

What temperature would you consider "cool" ? At what temperature does the noise manifest itself ?

I believe the car will do this noise until I sell it or until it dies. It clearly comes from the front DU...
Probably depends on the car, mine tend to do it in <45F. You can sometime hear it <60F, but it's very faint. <30F and it's loud. But again likely depends on the car.

I'm not sure If this is related to the noise everyone else is having but I've been getting a noise that seems to have got worse in the cold from the front of the car. It isn't effected by acceleration or regen and only changes pitch and volume with changing speed. It could be normal but I've not been able to drive another tesla to compare. Not sure if its the drive unit, invertor or something else but It annoys me every time I drive the car.

I'm not sure If this is related to the noise everyone else is having but I've been getting a noise that seems to have got worse in the cold from the front of the car. It isn't effected by acceleration or regen and only changes pitch and volume with changing speed. It could be normal but I've not been able to drive another tesla to compare. Not sure if its the drive unit, invertor or something else but It annoys me every time I drive the car.

Your example sounds like a whirring noise, is constant and scales with speed? The "cricket" noise described here is intermittent and awful. I don't think you have the issue described elsewhere in this thread.

Reactions: Ts91