Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this high pitched cricket like noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had mine resolved. They diagnosed it as a burnt out bearing in the front motor and they replaced the front drive u
If you read through the thread there is a lot of documentation and explanation that might be helpful. I wrote a fairly detailed account of my situation every step of the way.
Hey.

And you haven’t had the high pitch cricket noise since then? I hope that you found the solution to our misery 🤣

I’m having this same issue. I have a 2022 M3LR. Car has 3,600 miles on it, built in July. It started about 2-3 weeks ago and drives me crazy. It happens at around 40mph when traveling at a constant speed. I tried changing a bunch of setting like the pedals and steering controls. I tried changing from Hold to Roll and Creep. Then I thought I had a rock or something stuck in the rotor covers because it’s a high pitched metallic whining sound (like crickets or cicadas), so I tried that fix by flexing the covers. It is still doing it. I tried slamming on my brakes thinking it was a brake noise at first but I mostly use regenerative braking. I’ve googled and youtubed and nothing. It is so annoying. It is intermittent but it happens every time I drive it. It stops when I hit about 45 mph or when I decelerate to under 35mph but always starts right around 40mph. Sometimes it doesn’t do it for 5 or 10 minutes.

Since my post above I’ve read through this whole thread. My noise is exactly like Dadaaaa’s recording and sounds much like when calipers start to scrape the rotors or from excessive brake dust, but as others have reported, when I roll my window down it isn’t louder like it typically would be with a brake problem. Mine too seems to be coming from the driver’s front. The temps did start to drop when my started occurring. I’m hoping someone that is a little further into diagnostics of this with their SC gets a resolution.

Since my post above I’ve read through this whole thread. My noise is exactly like Dadaaaa’s recording and sounds much like when calipers start to scrape the rotors or from excessive brake dust, but as others have reported, when I roll my window down it isn’t louder like it typically would be with a brake problem. Mine too seems to be coming from the driver’s front. The temps did start to drop when my started occurring. I’m hoping someone that is a little further into diagnostics of this with their SC gets a resolution.
@Nfletcher, please report your issue to your SC via the Tesla App and let them know about this thread.
Eventually, somebody at Tesla will connect the dots...
(I sent a long detailed email to my local TSC yesterday. I'll let you guys know)

I'm also getting the same sound and experiencing them at the exact same speeds - also at lower outdoor temps (we're around 35*F here)
Funny enough it didnt start to happen until the moment I tried to enable the enable breaking when regen is limited feature.... I started hearing the noise and immediately turned off the setting. I often listen to loud music though so they may not be related...

Everyone else experiencing this issue at the exact same time with the exact same symptoms is making me feel a little better that it's likely not a failing motor but the only person who's had this issue resolved had their motor replaced so...

So I made an appt last week with my SC. Of course they have been trying to diagnose it remotely. I have got a message that I need to adjust my tire pressure and that they will check the tires. My tire pressure and tires are fine. My husband doesn’t ride in my car much but he rode with me last night and he heard it over the radio. I may have to get nasty with the SC at my appt Monday.

I'm also getting the same sound and experiencing them at the exact same speeds - also at lower outdoor temps (we're around 35*F here)
Funny enough it didnt start to happen until the moment I tried to enable the enable breaking when regen is limited feature.... I started hearing the noise and immediately turned off the setting. I often listen to loud music though so they may not be related...

Everyone else experiencing this issue at the exact same time with the exact same symptoms is making me feel a little better that it's likely not a failing motor but the only person who's had this issue resolved had their motor replaced so...
How old is your car/how many miles on it? I’m trying to see if it’s a failure for similar build dates and it just happens to be colder now that they are failing and that temps are not really the issue.

3400 miles in, heard the exact same sound around the same speed, mine comes from the back of the car though.
Only got the car this Sept so couldn't tell whether it's related to weather, but it's definitely not hot (~10C)
Booked service appt. next monday, will see what happens.

Hello everyone! I’m sorry for all of you who are going through this nightmare. I brought my 2022 M3LR 5 times to the SC here in Zürich and they are turning a blind eye. They pretend they can’t hear it even though several friends and colleagues of mine could. They said that if they can’t diagnose it they can fix it. Furthermore I suggested them to connect with a Tesla engineer remotely to ask for support with diagnosing the problem but they said that if they would do it but not find anything, this could not be covered by the warranty. It’s just ridiculous! Even a scam I would dare to say! Do you guys see any chance of a recall due to this or even a class action? Hope you guys have a more professional SC helping out with your cars.