Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this high pitched cricket like noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I delivered the car 20.04, with the invoice from Benito and referring to this forum. I also mentioned the front drive unit, and made them a dropbox with all my videos.

It was scheduled for monday, they still have the car. Driven 100km+ since I delivered it.
New time for delivery is today, so I’m waiting for them to reach out.
Looks like they are really trying this time, hopefully fixing it.

I saw your other replies, regarding the noise and warmer weather. We have 5-15 degrees C in Oslo now, so I told the SC to do their test runs in the morning after parking the car outside.
Have you got the car back yet?

I delivered the car 20.04, with the invoice from Benito and referring to this forum. I also mentioned the front drive unit, and made them a dropbox with all my videos.

It was scheduled for monday, they still have the car. Driven 100km+ since I delivered it.
New time for delivery is today, so I’m waiting for them to reach out.
Looks like they are really trying this time, hopefully fixing it.

I saw your other replies, regarding the noise and warmer weather. We have 5-15 degrees C in Oslo now, so I told the SC to do their test runs in the morning after parking the car outside.
Any updates here perhaps? Did they come up with a solution?

Thanks in advance

Any updates here perhaps? Did they come up with a solution?

Thanks in advance

Hi. Sorry for the late update.
Got the car back 18.05 after several weeks.
The isolated the back drive, only problem is the sound is coming from the front.
Got the usual «within specifications» speech, when I argued at the pickup.

Will go to a SC when I have the time, or wait untill it gets holder outside.

Hi,

I had my car at my SC for a second time and was quite mind bogged by what happened. I've been hearing the annoying crickety sound Every. Single. Drive. since I picked it up in march. Ofcourse when I was at the SC it did not occur... The only thing that can explain this (which I've later also confirmed) is that the car was standing in the hot sun for about 2 hours before they went for a test drive of it (which barely ever happens for me). The weather now is hotter in Sweden than it has been since I got the car. The SC obviously couldn't do anything since the sound wasn't present (I also drove the car with them since they couldn't hear the sound).
Simply put: The sound is non-existant when the car has been outside in the sun for a while, but is there when I do 'cold' starts from my garage.

So I will be heading back with the same issue when it's a bit colder again I guess.

Reactions: Benito1283
Hi,

I had my car at my SC for a second time and was quite mind bogged by what happened. I've been hearing the annoying crickety sound Every. Single. Drive. since I picked it up in march. Ofcourse when I was at the SC it did not occur... The only thing that can explain this (which I've later also confirmed) is that the car was standing in the hot sun for about 2 hours before they went for a test drive of it (which barely ever happens for me). The weather now is hotter in Sweden than it has been since I got the car. The SC obviously couldn't do anything since the sound wasn't present (I also drove the car with them since they couldn't hear the sound).
Simply put: The sound is non-existant when the car has been outside in the sun for a while, but is there when I do 'cold' starts from my garage.

So I will be heading back with the same issue when it's a bit colder again I guess.
Yep that's the exact situation I'm in now waiting for it to cool again. There has been no noise since the daily temps have gotten into the 80s/90s F.

Hi guys,

I received my car in March too and everything I read in this thread describes my experience.
I shared this thread with my local SC and I went there again for further analysis.

They could record themselves the noise during a test drive. Also, they turned off the front drive unit and the noise was still audible. So, it definitely comes from a mechanical part (not from the DU control or regulation).
They sent a report to the Tesla Engineering team in the Netherlands.

I'm looking forward to receiving a feedback soon. I'll keep you posted for sure.

Reactions: ev_go123
Guys,

I got a call from my local TSC: "After a deep analysis by a Tesla engineer, he concluded that the noise is under the specs limits".

This summer is hot and and the car is quite silent. If the noise intensity increase during winter time, I'll go back again to my SC (as you said guys)
Any news on your side btw ?

BR

Guys,

I got a call from my local TSC: "After a deep analysis by a Tesla engineer, he concluded that the noise is under the specs limits".

This summer is hot and and the car is quite silent. If the noise intensity increase during winter time, I'll go back again to my SC (as you said guys)
Any news on your side btw ?

BR
I've heard nothing since it got hot here in FL. I'm waiting until it cools and will report back.

ev_go123: Could you remind us of the details of your issue? 9 pages, 168 posts is a lot to review... ;)
It's a high frequency noise that sounds sort of like crickets or hissing that appears when it's <70 degrees out, and you're driving >50 mph. Coming from the front drive unit. According to one service center, it's a bad bearing.

The noise is very high frequency (10kHz or so) and might be at the limit of older adults hearing. In the recording, you might have to turn it up and it might play better on a smartphone:

You can hear the noise cut in and out at about 13s in the recording. It can come and go like that, even at speed.

So glad I found this thread, the noise has been driving me crazy this week.

Got a 2022MY in September, been perfect until this week when temperatures dropped below 50F.

Driving around town at low speeds the car is perfect. The sound only appears at highway speeds and sounds like it’s coming from the front driver side. I’ve listened to all the soundclips in this thread and it’s identical to what I’m hearing.

I can hear it over podcasts/Music very annoying.

Time to visit the SC.

So glad I found this thread, the noise has been driving me crazy this week.

Got a 2022MY in September, been perfect until this week when temperatures dropped below 50F.

Driving around town at low speeds the car is perfect. The sound only appears at highway speeds and sounds like it’s coming from the front driver side. I’ve listened to all the soundclips in this thread and it’s identical to what I’m hearing.

I can hear it over podcasts/Music very annoying.

Time to visit the SC.
Hey there.
Please let me know what they found. It’s driving me nuts.
It also got worse since SC installed my winter tires set, the 19’’ gemini. And as you said, it occures more on highways than during lower speeds.

Thx guys

Hey there.
Please let me know what they found. It’s driving me nuts.
It also got worse since SC installed my winter tires set, the 19’’ gemini. And as you said, it occures more on highways than during lower speeds.

Thx guys
Hey.
Please let me know what they say or find.
The noise has been driving me nuts and as you said, it occurs more often during highway rides. And it’s also stronger since SC put on my winter tires set, the 19’’ Gemini ones.

SC in my country couldn’t help me about it so far.

Thank you

Reactions: ElectronY
Guys,

I will wait a little bit longer until the temperature drops even lower and then I will contact my TSC again. The sound is already louder than ever though. It getting worst over time.
By the way, I discovered a strange clicking noise coming from the front left wheel. I can hear it at very low speed (like 5 km/h) with the driver window open and turning to the right direction. Don’t know if it’s related. I will look into it and try to share a video.

I think it would be nice to share our VIN all together and with our respective TSC technicians ? At least they can make a connection in their database…
Mine is LRW3E7EK0NC510451. I visited my TSC twice so Tesla surely knows about it.
Let’s keep in touch

@ev_go123 Thank you sharing your recording in soundcloud. Did service replace or repair the bad bearing in the front drive unit for you?

I've had my MY LR for 2 months and have had what I'm starting to believe is a similar problem from delivery. I noticed it mainly around 40 mph and actually posted a few videos with my situation here, but have not yet been able to resolve it despite 3 service visits. Bearings in the front drive unit didn't come up. While I'm located in Michigan, I haven't yet noticed any differences due to temperature. Does this sound like the same issue?

Reactions: Nfletcher
@ziptbm I definitely recognize the sound from your videos. Speed matches as well. Pretty sure you experience the same issue here.
It happens mainly at constant speed and almost never during acceleration/deceleration…

As I said before, bad bearing on front drive unit confirmed by Tesla engineers but not willing to do anything…

Btw, can you post on the other thread to point to this one ?

Thanks

@ziptbm I definitely recognize the sound from your videos. Speed matches as well. Pretty sure you experience the same issue here.
It happens mainly at constant speed and almost never during acceleration/deceleration…

As I said before, bad bearing on front drive unit confirmed by Tesla engineers but not willing to do anything…

Btw, can you post on the other thread to point to this one ?

Thanks
Just posted a link to this one in the other thread.

Tesla is telling me they’ve already had three techs look into my vehicle and it’s normal… I’m escalating.

Has anyone had this issue resolved? If so, how?