Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this high pitched cricket like noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A week from today, 12/1. The service center has already reached out to request a video of the noise which I shared. They have also said they would do a ride-along once I arrive to determine if repairs would be covered under warranty or if they would be my responsibility. This is the same SC that has not performed any repairs on the previous three appointments for this issue, but hopefully this time will be different since I’m requesting a specific fix.
They will probably said within spec or they cannot hear anything. I have been in this stage b4 and they refuse this noise is an issue. I wonder if they are willing to change oil even they dont think the noise is a concern or noise is within spec.

They will probably said within spec or they cannot hear anything. I have been in this stage b4 and they refuse this noise is an issue. I wonder if they are willing to change oil even they dont think the noise is a concern or noise is within spec.
I personally dont mind pay out of pocket to change oil and see if that is the fix, just wonder if they are willing to do so

Reactions: rolling green
Great guys, I'm following with great interest. Let us know, maybe this is the solution. I would even tackle an oil change at my expense if I knew it would fix the problem.

But a RWD only has the drive unit at the rear, or am I wrong? So it wouldn't be a solution for those with RWD.

Sorry if I wrote things wrong.

Do you have this noise coming from the front with a RWD ? That would discard the FDU hypothesis.

I can't really say why but I don't believe in the oil change (even though I'm curious). To me it's more an electrical sound but I can't really pinpoin it...

Hi all,

I've been following this thread for a while. I have a 2023 Model 3 LR (16,000 km) and I have started experiencing the exact same noise I can see from the recordings of the original author and other people in the thread. I've also noticed that the noise is temperature related. Recent cold winter days have made the noise much louder than when it started.

Let me tell you my experience so far.

First SC appointment

I took my M3 to the Madrid's SC. All the way there the noise was present but as I was getting closer to the SC and the car started to warm up the noise became very subtle (I live 70km away from the SC) l. When I took a ride with the technician, he was able to hear it (thank god! ) but he said it was very quiet and it would not be considered a fault. I said I would agree if the sound would be this subtle all the time but I insisted that they should test the car cold, when you can hear it even with music on. They didn't have a loaner to let me borrow during the test so I had to come back another day.

Second SC appointment

This time they gave me a loaner (MY performance btw) and I left the car at the SC. Next day in the morning they tested the car cold and voila! they heard the sound and considered important enough to keep the car and keep doing investigations.

After couple of days and more than 100km of drive testing the car they said they thought it would be the sealant in the main windshield. I was very skeptical cause the noise seems more "electric" but I accepted the repair (no cost under warranty). They replaced the windshield and tested again next day, cold. I was no surprise the noise was still there and said they needed to keep the car for further investigation.

It has been 8 days so far since I left the car in the SC and this morning they said they still haven't found the source of the noise and need to keep investigating. On one hand I am happy they are dedicating time to find the issue but on the other hand I can see from the app and the odometer that they haven't taken the car out for a ride in the last 3 days so I am worried they might be lost in finding the problem.

I am quite convinced the issue is the same as other people in this thread and the solution would be to replace the front drive unit. I haven't said so to them. Not sure they would appreciate a client telling them what the issue is from a forum thread and I am curious to see if they are able to find out by themselves without me suggesting this may be the cause.

It is frustrating not to have my car for this many days and I am a bit worried they will not find the issue or decline to accept what it takes to fix it. Also I am not sure what would happen if they, at some point, tell me they cannot fix it. It is under warranty but not sure how that works in Spain.

I will keep updating. If anyone has gone through the same process could advise that would be appreciated.

Yesterday, I scheduled an appointment for my 2023 Model Y Long Range (MYLR). Just to provide some context, my Model 3 Long Range (M3LR) had its Front Drive Unit (FDU) replaced before summer, which nearly resolved the problem. I rarely hear the noise now, but currently, it's something I can tolerate.

I filled out the form on the Tesla app, and I received what seems to be an automated estimate, possibly generated by artificial intelligence. It indicated the need for a "Front Suspension Noise Diagnosis," which I find intriguing. It could either be entirely inaccurate, or perhaps they have a specific idea or plan in mind behind the scenes.

I have an appointment scheduled for this Wednesday, November 29th. I'll keep you updated on how it goes.

I plan to bring up the oil theory with the tech and observe his reaction. During a brief discussion with the SC front desk last week, I was informed of two recent customer visits—one involving FDU replacement and the other FDU reprogramming.

I have been following this thread for about a year now since I noticed the noise on my new LR 23. Had my FDU replaced in February, but with no change.. Considering making another appointment.

Question, has anyone heard of someone having their FDU replaced due to reasons not related to the noise, and then having the noise appearing afterwards? This would really prove that its the FDU itself which is the problem and not anything around it.

I haven't scrolled through the entire 33 pages here, but I have this same problem and a fellow Tesla driver said they had solved a similar sounding noise and it turned out to be the radiator cooling fan. He confirmed it got worse in cold weather Radiator Cooling Fan Squeak/Rattle . Specifically the "squeak" noise video.

> 2020-2023 Tesla Model Y Cooling Radiator Fan Shroud Assembly 1494179-00-B OEM

Thought I would mention it here first, but I was planning to investigate some more this weekend

Sorry it took so long to reply. The radiator fan didn’t end up being my problem after all

I’m in a 2022 Model Y Performance Fremont build. My problem sounds similar to most in this thread:
- only at colder temps, started appearing as temps dipped below 10C, and it completely goes away after a supercharge session
- only at higher speeds (60+km)
- sound appears to resonate from the area where the accelerator/brake pedals are

I notice the resonance/pitch changes a bit as I slow down. So it appears connected to the wheels spinning somehow

Unfortunately I have a lot of aftermarket modifications on my car. Custom wheels, comfort suspension, and sound dampening padding in the front wheel wells. So the chances of Tesla taking my noise complaint seriously is close to zero.

I’ll keep following along 🍿

Yesterday, I scheduled an appointment for my 2023 Model Y Long Range (MYLR). Just to provide some context, my Model 3 Long Range (M3LR) had its Front Drive Unit (FDU) replaced before summer, which nearly resolved the problem. I rarely hear the noise now, but currently, it's something I can tolerate.

I filled out the form on the Tesla app, and I received what seems to be an automated estimate, possibly generated by artificial intelligence. It indicated the need for a "Front Suspension Noise Diagnosis," which I find intriguing. It could either be entirely inaccurate, or perhaps they have a specific idea or plan in mind behind the scenes.

I have an appointment scheduled for this Wednesday, November 29th. I'll keep you updated on how it goes.

I plan to bring up the oil theory with the tech and observe his reaction. During a brief discussion with the SC front desk last week, I was informed of two recent customer visits—one involving FDU replacement and the other FDU reprogramming.
So, I'm back from the service center, and can you believe it? Nothing's changed at all. That annoying noise is still there. I took a ride with the tech guy, and even he could clearly hear it. But get this, he's a total newbie with Teslas – no training whatsoever (seriously, how is that even possible?). We went back to the center, they kept my car for an extra 20 minutes, and bam, they slapped me with a 50€ charge, and I have no clue why. No explanation, nothing recorded. It's a total joke.

Hi all,

I've been following this thread for a while. I have a 2023 Model 3 LR (16,000 km) and I have started experiencing the exact same noise I can see from the recordings of the original author and other people in the thread. I've also noticed that the noise is temperature related. Recent cold winter days have made the noise much louder than when it started.

Let me tell you my experience so far.

First SC appointment

I took my M3 to the Madrid's SC. All the way there the noise was present but as I was getting closer to the SC and the car started to warm up the noise became very subtle (I live 70km away from the SC) l. When I took a ride with the technician, he was able to hear it (thank god! ) but he said it was very quiet and it would not be considered a fault. I said I would agree if the sound would be this subtle all the time but I insisted that they should test the car cold, when you can hear it even with music on. They didn't have a loaner to let me borrow during the test so I had to come back another day.

Second SC appointment

This time they gave me a loaner (MY performance btw) and I left the car at the SC. Next day in the morning they tested the car cold and voila! they heard the sound and considered important enough to keep the car and keep doing investigations.

After couple of days and more than 100km of drive testing the car they said they thought it would be the sealant in the main windshield. I was very skeptical cause the noise seems more "electric" but I accepted the repair (no cost under warranty). They replaced the windshield and tested again next day, cold. I was no surprise the noise was still there and said they needed to keep the car for further investigation.

It has been 8 days so far since I left the car in the SC and this morning they said they still haven't found the source of the noise and need to keep investigating. On one hand I am happy they are dedicating time to find the issue but on the other hand I can see from the app and the odometer that they haven't taken the car out for a ride in the last 3 days so I am worried they might be lost in finding the problem.

I am quite convinced the issue is the same as other people in this thread and the solution would be to replace the front drive unit. I haven't said so to them. Not sure they would appreciate a client telling them what the issue is from a forum thread and I am curious to see if they are able to find out by themselves without me suggesting this may be the cause.

It is frustrating not to have my car for this many days and I am a bit worried they will not find the issue or decline to accept what it takes to fix it. Also I am not sure what would happen if they, at some point, tell me they cannot fix it. It is under warranty but not sure how that works in Spain.

I will keep updating. If anyone has gone through the same process could advise that would be appreciated.
Update.

Tesla diagnosed the noise, they said it is coming from the front motor. HOWEVER, after 11 days and +400km of testing the car they said the noise is normal and it does not affect the normal operation of the car therefore it does not justify a front motor replacement.

I think this has to be a bad joke. If the noise was normal why did they spend so much time diagnosing it. If it justified a windscreen replacement why doesn't it justify a front motor replacement?

Going tomorrow to the SC to talk to them. So far very disappointed for a car that costs 50k€ we should get better responses from Tesla.

Reactions: cwhite51
So, I'm back from the service center, and can you believe it? Nothing's changed at all. That annoying noise is still there. I took a ride with the tech guy, and even he could clearly hear it. But get this, he's a total newbie with Teslas – no training whatsoever (seriously, how is that even possible?). We went back to the center, they kept my car for an extra 20 minutes, and bam, they slapped me with a 50€ charge, and I have no clue why. No explanation, nothing recorded. It's a total joke.
Do they care about the oil theory / front drive u it reprogram?

Geeesh, there are a lot of hyperbolic statements being used in this thread lately. Things like, "it's a joke," or "unjustifiable for a car of this cost," etc etc. And all over a noise that I can't hear on any of the provided videos in this thread.

There may be a noise. I believe everyone. I've been down the "noise" frustration in various cars that I've owned too (most of them from interior panel squeaking). However, the presence of a noise does not necessarily constitute a bad thing or a product failure. My Tesla makes noises too. My ICE cars make a lot of crazy varying noises. None of these various noises would ever be categorized as representing "bad product" by any rationale consumer.

For example, Audi engines typically sound very, very different than the average ICE engine. However, that's the product. Nobody can return a gurgling Audi because it doesn't sound like their Lexus engine or the broader industry ICE engine.

It is well documented by "experts" such as Bjørn Nyland that Tesla's are not the quietest EV's. That doesn't make Tesla wrong.

What is the argument that the sound is representative of bad product? We know the noise is not loud at all; it's very difficult to record it or even reproduce it in person (per many separate posts herein). What was built wrong, what is failing, or what is under performing? So far, I've only heard arguments that it's bad product simply because the noise is present.

In the decades of automotive history, that alone is not enough to represent bad product. Hard to imagine a consumer bring back their RAV4 because its engine was 1 db louder than another RAV4 engine.

• Disagree
Reactions: zsunsun and launchd
Geeesh, there are a lot of hyperbolic statements being used in this thread lately. Things like, "it's a joke," or "unjustifiable for a car of this cost," etc etc. And all over a noise that I can't hear on any of the provided videos in this thread.

There may be a noise. I believe everyone. I've been down the "noise" frustration in various cars that I've owned too (most of them from interior panel squeaking). However, the presence of a noise does not necessarily constitute a bad thing or a product failure. My Tesla makes noises too. My ICE cars make a lot of crazy varying noises. None of these various noises would ever be categorized as representing "bad product" by any rationale consumer.

For example, Audi engines typically sound very, very different than the average ICE engine. However, that's the product. Nobody can return a gurgling Audi because it doesn't sound like their Lexus engine or the broader industry ICE engine.

It is well documented by "experts" such as Bjørn Nyland that Tesla's are not the quietest EV's. That doesn't make Tesla wrong.

What is the argument that the sound is representative of bad product? We know the noise is not loud at all; it's very difficult to record it or even reproduce it in person (per many separate posts herein). What was built wrong, what is failing, or what is under performing? So far, I've only heard arguments that it's bad product simply because the noise is present.

In the decades of automotive history, that alone is not enough to represent bad product. Hard to imagine a consumer bring back their RAV4 because its engine was 1 db louder than another RAV4 engine.
I would say the most obvious argument is that particular noise being characterized as « not normal » by various tech guys during test drives. And I got my M3LR FDU replaced under warranty…

Do they care about the oil theory / front drive u it reprogram?

Tech guy said it was a very interesting theory and he would check. However he was the newbie (coming from Jaguar and no training from Tesla.). After I got mad to have some explanations, they said they will get back to me after they receive a feedback from engineering. I don’t buy it…

I’m really looking forward to hearing from @cwhite51 tomorrow

New Tesla owner so not sure if this is a common noise that we just have to get used to or if it is not normal. It started off very intermittent like on the first drive of the day we would hear it. Now it seems to be getting less intermittent and doesn't depend on whether the car is cold. It is almost so high pitched it's hard to hear through my cell phone video but it seems to be coming from forward of the driver position. I almost describe it like the sound of crickets coming from under the hood.

I hear it with HVAC on or off so I have sort of ruled that out and it's not the whine sound heard during hard accel or regen. I like that noise. I wouldn't describe it as a whine at all more like a bearing noise possibly in the front motor.

That's the prelude to the 'High Priced Cricket Like Noise', it comes later. 😆

I get where you’re coming from, as well as what’s become the standard of people on the internet making a huge issue out of the smallest of incidences.

My issue, though, is not due to how loud the noise is or how frequently it occurs. My issue is that my new vehicle makes a squeal like it has a bad bearing (similar to a high-mileage ICE vehicle that needs a new serpentine belt). I’m trying not to overstate the problem or use sensational language like “ear-splitting” or “unbearable,” because it isn’t. I am trying to accurately describe what I am hearing to see if it is truly the same issue as others on this thread, and for people who may have lost the ability to hear any sounds in that frequency range. I also am aware of the typical noises a Tesla makes, owning a Model 3 for the 4 years prior to this Y. This noise is uncharacteristic and it makes the car sound cheap or of poor quality.

It has been making the noise off-and-on starting the first week of ownership to now. The peak frustration is from the inability to have driven this vehicle even a mile prior to accepting delivery, and when the issue is brought up to service, they refuse to do anything about it.

I hope I am able to get service to do something tomorrow, but honestly I do not have high hopes. It is supposed to be about 60F and raining during my appointment, so we’ll see if I can replicate the noise to their satisfaction.

Tech guy said it was a very interesting theory and he would check. However he was the newbie (coming from Jaguar and no training from Tesla.). After I got mad to have some explanations, they said they will get back to me after they receive a feedback from engineering. I don’t buy it…

I’m really looking forward to hearing from @cwhite51 tomorrow
I was hoping at tesla will do a trial error, since change oil is a easy job, not like replacing drive unit

If I test drove my brand new M3LR and heard this noise during that drive, I would've declined delivery. Instead, I accepted delivery, heard this noise on my way home and have been dealing with it ever since (in cold weather). As friends all have Tesla vehicles as well (2x M3, 1x MY and 1x MS), I know (and they confirmed, except the Model S owner, because like you, he can't hear the noise either) the noise mine is emitting is not a noise they have ever heard/they too would be upset if their Tesla (new or not) was making it.

Not to be rude, but you can't hear the noise (great, good for you), so why are you commenting on this thread as if you can/you've determined it is a normal noise (it isn't) and shouldn't upset owners who can hear it? You can't hear it, your opinion is therefore contributing nothing because you have no frame of reference. Those who can hear it do not think it is normal, at all, and this group of folks includes Tesla technicians. I think Tesla technicians know a bit more than you do about the "normal" or "expected" noises that these cars can make.