Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What kind of Wh/mi are you guys getting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
75000/316=237, although I think we'd really need 72500/316=229.

The only time I expect my car to use less than 240 wh/mi on a trip is when it coming to my SC on the car carrier truck.

From what I've read, I think 270 when it's nice out, 300 when it's really hot, and 320 when its cold are realistic. It's likely possible to get 10% more range with slower and mellower driving.

With a 90% charge, 10% eventual battery degradation and arriving with 10% charge, this means a reasonable distance between charges (in MD) will be:

Spring/fall: 200 miles
Summer: 180 miles
Winter: 170 miles

In the first few years with a 5% degradation, 100% charge, and arriving at 5%, this would be:

Spring/fall: 240 miles
Summer: 220 miles
Winter: 205 miles

Last edited:
What about mostly city driving? My overall driving is about 80% city - and 100% of commute (whenever that happens again). I have no home charger, but a 35-bay supercharger 2 miles from me and 4 L2 chargers at the office, so range is quiet of interest to me.

Over 16K miles, I averaged 247 wh/mile in my Model 3 RWD LR with 18” wheels. I haven’t driven enough with my Model Y AWD non-P to compare to that, but I am in the middle of a road trip where I compared efficiencies on flat stretches of road to what I observed with my 3 on the same route. (I would set the cruise control and then reset the trip odometer. I then waited a few minutes for the reading to stabilize.)

The bottom line is that my Y is about 15-20% less efficient than my 3. Given that they have the same size battery, I don’t see how the Y has a greater EPA range than the 3.

What am I doing wrong? I do mostly highway driving
You are doing mostly highway driving. Unlike an ICE, this is where you get the worst efficiency. As soon as you exceed 50MPH your energy efficiency drops due to wind resistance. In an ICE they are most efficient when not in stop and go driving as they have so much losses no matter what the vehicle is doing.

So, drive slower. That may help.

I take delivery today of inductions as well. I’m forgetting the target wh/mi to get the 316 range... anyone recall?

Calculating 316 miles out of 75 kwh battery pack is all out-o-wack.

The trip graph shows about 280sh wH/mile is the consumption to get RATED range.

See screenshot with AVE line (dashed) at 275 wh/mile vs RATED (straight highlighted line below 300):
20200623_232515.jpg

Reactions: E Dizzle
So how, then, did Tesla get a 316 mile rating? I've only had my MY LR 20" about 10 days and disappointed that 316 will probably never happen. We are averaging 320W/mi since we bought it, but that includes some "demo" acceleration. Last few days, more stabilized/normal driving, running about 280W/mi. So my math: 72500 usable watts/280 is 259 mile range. WAY different than 316 rating. I feel like i've been misled big time. I don't think its realistic to get to 229W/mi to get to the 316 range. Agh.