Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What last mile solution fits in a Tesla (scooter, one wheel, etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

israndy

Supercharger Hunter
Mar 31, 2016
Alameda, CA
In my Insight I had a pair of Roller Blades (hey, I got the car in 2000), I am trying to figure out something that makes sense so I can park fairly near my destination and then ride this from and to the car. Just looking at an Electrek article on e-bikes:
Interbike Reno 2018: Here are all the cool and crazy new electric bicycles you’ll want to see. They had a scooter from Mercane that looked reasonable.

I had one of the first electric GoPed scooters, back in the day. The lead-acid battery pack was quite heavy, but I could plug it into the wall wherever I was and pick up some charge. That lead to my Vectrix scooter in 2009, 500 lbs and when I plugged it in at work I blew the breakers for the building.

What I think I want would be something small enough to fit in the covered bin in the trunk, or perhaps in the frunk. At 43" the Mercane is too big for either of these places. Does anyone use a Hoverboard or One Wheel or Electric Skateboard or even a folding bike?

Finding a place to charge, where I can leave the car, would be easier with another form of transportation.

-Randy

Reactions: Glamisduner
These fit in the Model 3, and they work very nicely for the last mile...

nordstrom_mens_shop_blog_personal_stylist_april_shoes_intro.jpg

I have a Onewheel XR, and cannot say enough about how much fun they are to ride! It's like riding a snowboard in powder. Weighs 27 lbs, cruised at 15mph, and has a range of 20 miles, and tackles grass, gravel, sidewalks, etc., with ease.
On the opposite end of the "Fun-O-Meter" is a Bird scooter, which might work in your situation too.
Have fun!

The one wheel is is a little heavy to be truly portable. I think they are are also overpriced. I have a few Hoover boards. They are great but again too heavy to carry around. No store or shopping mall allows any kind of scooter or the like. If you have a place to safely park your last mile vehicle this might not be an issue. Honestly why not just get a normal (non electric) scooter or foldable bike. Much cheaper and works just as good.

I thought about this subject as well a few years ago but it turns out I never park my car far enough from my actual destination that I would need a secondary transportation device. I park as close as possible and walk the rest. If it’s too far, I usually can’t leave that scooter/bike at the destination. When traveling with the family I sure won’t carry 4 extra scooters and make everyone ride them.

In other words, it’s not a real problem that needs a solution to me.

In my Insight I had a pair of Roller Blades (hey, I got the car in 2000), I am trying to figure out something that makes sense so I can park fairly near my destination and then ride this from and to the car. Just looking at an Electrek article on e-bikes:
Interbike Reno 2018: Here are all the cool and crazy new electric bicycles you’ll want to see. They had a scooter from Mercane that looked reasonable.

I had one of the first electric GoPed scooters, back in the day. The lead-acid battery pack was quite heavy, but I could plug it into the wall wherever I was and pick up some charge. That lead to my Vectrix scooter in 2009, 500 lbs and when I plugged it in at work I blew the breakers for the building.

What I think I want would be something small enough to fit in the covered bin in the trunk, or perhaps in the frunk. At 43" the Mercane is too big for either of these places. Does anyone use a Hoverboard or One Wheel or Electric Skateboard or even a folding bike?

Finding a place to charge, where I can leave the car, would be easier with another form of transportation.

-Randy

Randy with my Honda Insight even though I could get my Trek inside, I found my 24 inch unicycle was easier to put in and remove. The same goes with my MS, but with the MS, I can also get the 6FT giraffe unicycle in at the same time.

Unicycles - Cruiser (20-24-inch) - Unicycle.com

-Randy

In the contest to be the oddest duck member of the TMC community, Randy's lead looks insurmountable!!

Just kidding man, if it wasn't for your threads all we'd be talking about is what wheels to buy.

Their range is only limited by the operator's willingness to push them. And their recharge time is exactly equal to the interval between usage. Not only that, but they add no extra weight to the vehicle, and they are adaptable to every surface.

Well, some give up adaptability for aesthetics. Like cars. I'm very much a form-over-function guy, but I can quite easily forgive the sacrifice for the right aesthetics in this case.

I regularly toss my Boosted Dual+XR long board in the trunk. It won't fit in the covered bin or the frunk, but Boosted's Mini probably would fit in those spaces.
I've spent a lot of time on Onewheels... so much fun!! But, I wouldn't choose one as my last-mile vehicle.
My personal preference is for a long board due to it's improved stability & comfort, and ability to be pushed/coast.
-Mark

Reactions: stayfocus18
Another vote for the Onewheel XR! Perfect solution as far as I am concerned. MY M3 is at the tint shop right now, took my onewheel back to work while they work on it. I'm riding it back to pick it up later this afternoon. I had some car trouble with my ICE car last week and I ended up taking the onewheel to the commuter rail station and them from my stop to my home. No uber needed and it was way more fun. And if you say it is too heavy...I ride it right to the doorway of the train, I hardly carry it. IT fits so nicely in the Frunk too

Reactions: SigNC