Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What "miles" has our car quit at?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most missed my question. What the readout says has nothing to do with how you drive. If I drive until it says 10 miles it makes zero difference how I got to the point that it says 10 miles remaining.

blackT3 thanks! That is exactly what I thought. I never do this but I wanted a feel for where the "end" is.

I have 65k on my car and have gone below 15% on my battery maybe a dozen times, below 10%, 2 or 3, below 5% never. I just want to know in case of emergency.

There is no exact number. Some people on here have had the car die and refuse to move before it reads 0%.

Basically it’s not something you can depend on. The car can’t get an accurate reading of the charge level when it’s that low and it’s only an estimate.

Most missed my question. What the readout says has nothing to do with how you drive. If I drive until it says 10 miles it makes zero difference how I got to the point that it says 10 miles remaining.

blackT3 thanks! That is exactly what I thought. I never do this but I wanted a feel for where the "end" is.

I have 65k on my car and have gone below 15% on my battery maybe a dozen times, below 10%, 2 or 3, below 5% never. I just want to know in case of emergency.

I often drive home with an estimate of 2% remaining at home which is supposed to be 10km. But I wouldn't start/continue driving at 2% and expect to get far.

I just want to know in case of emergency.

But you wont, because sometimes it may stop completely even slightly above zero. There are more than one thread here on EXACTLY that (stopping with the meter showing single digit miles. Because battery power left is always an estimate, the answer on someone elses car isnt relevant to yours, and neither is the answer for your car going to be the same all the time.

So, you will never know, regardless of what you read about anyone elses, or what you even test on your own car.

We didn’t miss your question. One of many things that the battery protects itself against is damage from under voltage. The more power you consume while at low SOC, such as with a quick acceleration, the higher the risk that a cell group touches min allowed voltage. This would trigger the battery to completely shut down even with positive range displayed and plenty of energy left.

So yes, how you drive can have an impact on when the car stops.

As others have said here it can happen well over 0% range displayed. anecdotal side note; my wife and I have 185k miles between our Teslas and never had them shut down on us despite accidentally driving beyond 0%, so the risk is appears low at least based on that.

Last edited:
NYC to Atlantic City airport and back with a very unprofitable poker session at the Borgatta. Knowing it was going to be close, I charged my M3LR to 100% the night before. Made it!

1mitesla.jpg

Reactions: father_of_6
What mileage has your Tesla "ran out of gas" at? In oher words how accurate is the charge reading? I want to know if I can push it to 10 miles if needed.
My car was delivered with ZERO SOC, so I guess it had zero miles. The lowest I've run it is 7 miles. As for how accurate the bottom is, I think it really depends upon your vehicle and how accurate you think the BMS is.
IMG_0805 copy.jpg

I've only ever gotten to 0% once and I was about 5 miles from my house. I made it to my house okay and instantly plugged in. Not sure how much further I would have been able to go. It seems as though there is a buffer when you hit 0% but I definitely did not want to push the car to find out exactly how much of a buffer there actually is.

When I was younger I would test my new ICE vehicles by putting a gas can in the trunk and driving until I ran out of gas. My old 4Runner, for example, I knew could keep going 20-40 miles past "empty". Soooooooo, maybe I should put my generator in the truck and follow my Tesla around until........or not.........

I often drive home with an estimate of 2% remaining at home which is supposed to be 10km. But I wouldn't start/continue driving at 2% and expect to get far.
Same here, I rather just go home and charge if I can rather than having to top it off another Supercharger. The estimates are rather conservative and I have AAA as backup. The car will go into limp mode pass 1% so you can roll slowly to a charger or wall outlet but that is dangerous for other drivers and you. I have a friend with an X with free supercharging for life who always charges 100% and drives down to 1% and has had about 12% degradation from 2018 with about 50k miles. He was an early adopter of the Leaf and got towed all the time.