Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How are the wheel bearings on long range or performance holding up for you with lot of miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gottagofast

2022 Model 3 Performance
Jan 28, 2024
USA
Esp with the performance and its acceleration and big wheels, is there anyone with 150k to 200k miles still on the original bearings? I remember on our old family SUV gas cars we would have almost 300k miles and the wheel bearings were still fine

I’m curious since this car is heavier with a lot more power going to the wheels will I have to replace the wheel bearings every 100k miles or something? I’ve never owned a car with this much power, or does Tesla have some heavy duty bearings that can take a beating and last the life of the vehicle

Last edited:
Esp with the performance and its acceleration and big wheels, is there anyone with 150k to 200k miles still on the original bearings? I remember on our old family SUV gas cars we would have almost 300k miles and the wheel bearings were still fine

I’m curious since this car is heavier with a lot more power going to the wheels will I have to replace the wheel bearings every 100k miles or something? I’ve never owned a car with this much power, or does Tesla have some heavy duty bearings that can take a beating and last the life of the vehicle
I have just over 110,000 miles on my M3P (2018) and no issues with the wheel bearings as far as I can tell. I'm not terribly hard on the car though.

Oh there are always these threads on people asking about wheel spacers and then inevitably a long argument ensues about why it's a bad idea and how your wheel bearings will wear out sooner, its dangerous, etc.
It's not just a bad idea. It is a terrible idea. Changes the suspension and steering geometry also. Just my 2¢. But your money.

You might want to check the Out of Spec YT channels with Kyle Conner. He beat the crap out of his performance Model 3. It now has over 140K miles on it and he says it has been nearly flawless. Kyle usually takes meticulous notes. Here is a quick review of the car after 142K miles:

This Tesla Model 3 Has 142,000 Miles And It's Still Doing Great!​

You're right that factors like performance and heavier weight can affect wheel bearing lifespan. Here's what we know about Tesla wheel bearings:
  • General lifespan: While there's no official mileage for Tesla wheel bearing replacement, estimates suggest they can last between 80,000 to 100,000 miles, similar to many other cars.
  • Tesla specifics: There's limited data on Teslas reaching 150,000-200,000 miles on original bearings. However, Tesla might use heavy-duty bearings to handle the car's weight and power.
  • Individual factors: Many factors influence bearing life, including driving habits, road conditions, and the quality of replacement parts (if not original).

It would be interesting to know if they're tapered roller bearings, double-row ball bearings, or needle bearings. I would almost assume tapered roller bearings,
then the pre-load of the bearing comes into play. BMW and Audi use bearing assemblies where the hub and bearing are already assembled as a set.
Does anyone know?

It would be interesting to know if they're tapered roller bearings, double-row ball bearings, or needle bearings. I would almost assume tapered roller bearings,
then the pre-load of the bearing comes into play. BMW and Audi use bearing assemblies where the hub and bearing are already assembled as a set.
Does anyone know?
I don’t know what the difference is or which is better