Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, but... We are in uncharted territory here. How much powder does the army of WSB have? When GME starts a sustain fall, will people bail on all these other bets? Most of these stocks truly are dogs. Do you really want to be long them?

Bleah. I've got other work to do. I'll be sitting this one out (just like I've been doing with the SPACs). This is definitely a day traders market now though!

this guy bought a 1M of GME options 2 days ago

gme.JPG

everything is so insane.

I was thinking about rolling my AMC September $7 calls to March or February to get more leverage and they are essentially worth the same o_O. The call options right now only go to $9 or 10.

this guy bought a 1M of GME options 2 days ago

View attachment 631127

everything is so insane.

I was thinking about rolling my AMC September $7 calls to March or February to get more leverage and they are essentially worth the same o_O. The call options right now only go to $9 or 10.

I would be selling that, now. Life-changing money there.

If he's still HODLing, that's balls of steel.

I’m not sure if my darling Virgin Galactic/SPCE - which some here have derided and I understand their reasons - is up as strongly as it is (+129% in January as I pen this) - because of the anti-short playing around right now throughout the market, because of a collective Chamath Can Do No Wrong mentality, because of a Tesla-like High Probability of Sustained Future Growth realization, or something else.
As a long-term investor, I certainly hope it’s 90% or so the last, <10% the Chamath Effect, and 0% the first. As someone who has been a vitriolically outspoken despiser of short selling for decades, I am on the high ground when I say that what we are seeing now is, nonetheless, one of the most irresponsible market activities - in fact, #1 by a wide margin - that has occurred in my lifetime. I’ll rank it as equal to the Tulip Bubble, which predates even me (not sure about Dad, though!:D). It is not “bound to”; it is guaranteed to end in tears. Good luck to all who are playing the GME hot potato game and may you not be the last one holding.

Reactions: Johann Koeber
I’m not sure if my darling Virgin Galactic/SPCE - which some here have derided and I understand their reasons - is up as strongly as it is (+129% in January as I pen this) - because of the anti-short playing around right now throughout the market, because of a collective Chamath Can Do No Wrong mentality, because of a Tesla-like High Probability of Sustained Future Growth realization, or something else.
As a long-term investor, I certainly hope it’s 90% or so the last, <10% the Chamath Effect, and 0% the first. As someone who has been a vitriolically outspoken despiser of short selling for decades, I am on the high ground when I say that what we are seeing now is, nonetheless, one of the most irresponsible market activities - in fact, #1 by a wide margin - that has occurred in my lifetime. I’ll rank it as equal to the Tulip Bubble, which predates even me (not sure about Dad, though!:D). It is not “bound to”; it is guaranteed to end in tears. Good luck to all who are playing the GME hot potato game and may you not be the last one holding.

SPCE started rising fast on Monday just like all the other heavily shorted stocks. It is #36 on the list of most heavily shorted stocks by short % of float. Since it isn't in the top ten, I suspect the price action is mostly due to hedge funds unwinding their short bets.

Personally I've never liked the whole concept of short selling. Elon was right when he called out short sellers. CEOs go to jail if they make material misrepresentations, but short sellers can lie their asses off all day long. Short sellers also often create the conditions that take a company down like they did on SolarCity or any financial stock (they effectively create a "run on the bank" by sowing FUD about the company - for solarcity, it increased their cost of capital to unsustainable levels). That alone should be criminal (it is no different in my mind to setting fire to a physical asset).

So I am thoroughly enjoying this turn of events. I hope WSB can navigate these waters and keep it up for a long while.

Reactions: chronoreverse
SPCE started rising fast on Monday just like all the other heavily shorted stocks. It is #36 on the list of most heavily shorted stocks by short % of float. Since it isn't in the top ten, I suspect the price action is mostly due to hedge funds unwinding their short bets.

Personally I've never liked the whole concept of short selling. Elon was right when he called out short sellers. CEOs go to jail if they make material misrepresentations, but short sellers can lie their asses off all day long. Short sellers also often create the conditions that take a company down like they did on SolarCity or any financial stock (they effectively create a "run on the bank" by sowing FUD about the company - for solarcity, it increased their cost of capital to unsustainable levels). That alone should be criminal (it is no different in my mind to setting fire to a physical asset).

So I am thoroughly enjoying this turn of events. I hope WSB can navigate these waters and keep it up for a long while.
SPCE is actually the number 2 most shorted on this list. I have no idea which numbers are correct.

AudubonB; your only hope for SPCE to make any money for real is that all those wsb guy actually make money and decide they want to go to space for a few minutes.

Well, since they're all zooming up into deep space right now, I guess there'll be no market left for Virgin Galactic?

I may - or may not - re-invest in SPCE once the froth has disappeared. But it's rather unlikely as it's more probable I'll be using the proceeds to raise my cost basis a teensy bit in TSLA.

Why does all this activity on these beaten down stock smell like a more sophisticated version of classic pump and dump operations? It used to be boiler rooms of a telesales guys hyping some stock, selling at the top after they had quietly accumulated at the bottom for a while. This is the same thing only using the Internet to broadcast the hype instead of using phones.

Have fun following it guys but make sure you get out, don’t hold long as you’ll be left holding the bag.
This activity has been going on for many years, but in much more limited quantities and visibility. I think what has happened and happened last fall with the SoftBank large high dollar +3B$ investments in the long options markets pulled back the covers on what is possible with derivatives and equity values. Historically, it was hard to hide since the options market volumes were much much lower. Today, the volume of options is much higher and so the ability to take larger and larger overall positions, and thereby increase the equity impact is higher. So, the jig is up on this type of manipulation on the down low, and we’re probably going to see SOME type of regulations over the medium term to either make it more visible and apparent and also somehow limit the opportunity. But, its not new but it was never this big, coordinated or visible.

SPCE is actually the number 2 most shorted on this list. I have no idea which numbers are correct.

AudubonB; your only hope for SPCE to make any money for real is that all those wsb guy actually make money and decide they want to go to space for a few minutes.
Oops, forgot to link to the list I meant. This is one many on wsb seems to be looking at.

High Short Interest Stocks

• Informative
Reactions: Stone_Watcher
Listen to this. Short sellers getting burned! Hilarious.

ok. After watching this video I just posted I think it is our duty as TSLA shareholders to be part of the Reddit army to take down these short selling scum like Citron etc. Im going to “invest” $20K into some of these stocks just to do my part. I’ll let you know which stonks once I figure it out.

ok. After watching this video I just posted I think it is our duty as TSLA shareholders to be part of the Reddit army to take down these short selling scum like Citron etc. Im going to “invest” $20K into some of these stocks just to do my part. I’ll let you know which stonks once I figure it out.

This is the best explanation of the whole situation I've seen. If you haven't already, post it over in the main thread as well. Deserves to be seen.

Everyone should watch this and then send it to anyone you know.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
If you want to do that, piling on GME is the only real way. It would probably be best to just stay away though.

Of course it would best to stay away. $20k is typically 1/10 or less of what I would normally invest in a single stock, so it is really play money for me. I just want to say I helped bring down these assholes.

Last edited: