Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every quarter nflx has big earnings, and every quarter I hear about them after the fact. Anyone know of some sort of service which will
Email me two days in advance of company earnings or something?

I was trying to make such a service but getting data has been mildly problematic. I am using Yahoo Finance data with YQL and scraping the Nasdaq website. I had it completely working for myself but something about one of those data sources changed (or I've been blocked for overuse) and now I have it partially working. PM me if you want a link.

Every quarter nflx has big earnings, and every quarter I hear about them after the fact. Anyone know of some sort of service which will
Email me two days in advance of company earnings or something?

Estimize will email you a few days in advance. It will also tell you what the street thinks and what other users of Estimize think the earnings going to be.

Estimize will email you a few days in advance. It will also tell you what the street thinks and what other users of Estimize think the earnings going to be.

My broker emails me earnings notifications one week before the event, for each of my holdings. Perhaps I should buy one share of each investable stock, that would be most of Nasdaq, and voila, what a trading bonanza that might be, betting before the earnings call. I will give this strategy serious consideration, this bull market is too good to miss.

Regarding cool stocks, most of Nasdaq is as cool as they come. Nasdaq is at ATH, 5210. Looking back, I wasted so many years (7) trading on ASX, that was so lame compared to this market.

Google just launched my account into insane mode. Thank you, Googlers.:cool: The anticipated US rate hike and AUD rate cut might further spin it into a ludicrous mode, and of course Model X launch will hopefully be at least insane.

Talking about forex, any forex traders here? Forex trading is not discussed much, yet I find it attractive as the currency moves sometimes seem predictable, at least on some occasions and for some countries.

I anticipate a capital flight to the US due to the relative strength of US economy, bull US market and a lame rest of the world, and the coresponding currency moves.

Last edited:
NVAX now up 40% since first post.

Four clinical trials expected to report this quarter, the first of which did so this week.
http://novavax.com/download/files/news/Novavax_Announces_Postive_Ebola%20Data_at_WHO_Update_FINAL.pdf
http://in.reuters.com/article/2015/07/21/us-health-ebola-novavax-idINKCN0PV1V720150721

not too shabby

comp.PNG

I agree, but all the biotech traders (and there are lots of those) don't know this. They only go as deep as their nose in the science behind these speculative biotech companies.

I'm saying get out now at $12, biy back in at $8 and own 50% more shares. Just my humble opinion.

I agree, but all the biotech traders (and there are lots of those) don't know this. They only go as deep as their nose in the science behind these speculative biotech companies.

I'm saying get out now at $12, biy back in at $8 and own 50% more shares. Just my humble opinion.

I second this. Biotech trading is highly speculative (trading bonanza!) due to the nature of participants (myself included) and dubious trial reports. It is not so difficult to produce vague favourable trial reports that hype the market.

My view is that the trials need far more regulation. Pharma is not oblidged to publish unsuccessful trials. When these unpublished trials are taken into consideration, that puts a different light on "successful" trials.

I second this. Biotech trading is highly speculative (trading bonanza!) due to the nature of participants (myself included) and dubious trial reports. It is not so difficult to produce vague favourable trial reports that hype the market.

My view is that the trials need far more regulation. Pharma is not oblidged to publish unsuccessful trials. When these unpublished trials are taken into consideration, that puts a different light on "successful" trials.

Publication bias is one of the biggest frauds today. Some work is being done to get all trials registered but there is BIG money working against it.

Publication bias is one of the biggest frauds today. Some work is being done to get all trials registered but there is BIG money working against it.

The other thing is that even when good science is done, it's really easy and common for the investment community/media/competition to either just plain misinterpret the results or twist them in a direction other than truth. A long but good read on trials was published by the Atlantic a while ago, hopefully things have gotten better since then:Lies, Damned Lies, and Medical Science - The Atlantic

I disagree. No way anyone can take a drug and only publish the positive trials while burying the negative. Industry is very different than 10-15 years ago, all trials (at least in U.S.) have mandatory registration. most industry trials that aren't published are for drugs that failed (and journals don't want to publish).

I disagree. No way anyone can take a drug and only publish the positive trials while burying the negative. Industry is very different than 10-15 years ago, all trials (at least in U.S.) have mandatory registration. most industry trials that aren't published are for drugs that failed (and journals don't want to publish).

Registration and publication are very different. Publication attracts scrutiny by both experts and public.

Nature article, Half of US clinical Trials Go Unpublished discusses the result of a study into registration vs publishing.

TrialsNotPublished.JPG

SideEffectsnot published.JPG

TNPM.JPG

Unfortunately, as Johan mentioned above, BIG money is at stake.

I hope to see this industry disappear one day. I stopped investing in pharma after learning a bit about it. There are some medical products that are quite useful and may be worth investing in, but I do not trust pharma, not their products, not their businesses.

Last edited:
You'd be surprised to know how much dirty science is being done in the Pharma industry, to this day. They design their trials to show whatever they want, they do a lot of preliminary trials that are never registered anywhere, the "go fishing" for statistical significance, they do dodgy comparisons, the include and exclude patients in order to get the results they want.

If anyone is intereset PLEASE read the book by Danish Cochrance researcher Goetzhe. He says it like it is, and he is absolutely 100% correct:

Dr Peter Gøtzsche Exposes Big Pharma as Organized Crime

RE Pharma and NVAX

Owner NameDateShared HeldChange (Shares)Change (%)Value (in 1,000s)
FMR LLC03/31/201526,514,4611,812,2007.34319,764
PRICE T ROWE ASSOCIATES INC /MD/03/31/201519,867,5417,490,43960.52239,603
FIRST TRUST ADVISORS LP03/31/201514,118,03314,118,033New170,263
VANGUARD GROUP INC03/31/201512,392,8435,037,24868.48149,458
BLACKROCK FUND ADVISORS03/31/20159,117,614205,3352.30109,958
BB BIOTECH AG03/31/20158,450,000550,0006.96101,907

Read more: http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/nvax/institutional-holdings#ixzz3hk4FfwFb

Perhaps someone should tell these large investors about the risks of investing in pharma. Wow, the money they stand to lose...

MBLY
http://www.streetinsider.com/Analys...+to+VW+Strategic+Suppliers+List/10772374.html
"If being categorized as a FAST supplier does put MBLY on the path to becoming VW's sole/majority vision systems provider, this is a big win for MBLY, in our view," the analyst said. "As we mentioned in our Apr 15th note, we estimate becoming the majority supplier for VW is worth about $1 EPS to MBLY, once fully ramped up. More importantly, this would give MBLY 23 of the top 25 global OEMs and about 65% of the volume / 75% of the value of the global vision ADAS market, which could effectively crowd out the competition and make MBLY the industry's dominant vision supplier -- eliminating a key pillar of our bear case for MBLY."

You'd be surprised to know how much dirty science is being done in the Pharma industry, to this day. They design their trials to show whatever they want, they do a lot of preliminary trials that are never registered anywhere, the "go fishing" for statistical significance, they do dodgy comparisons, the include and exclude patients in order to get the results they want.

If anyone is intereset PLEASE read the book by Danish Cochrance researcher Goetzhe. He says it like it is, and he is absolutely 100% correct:

Dr Peter Gøtzsche Exposes Big Pharma as Organized Crime

Yeah and it's not just pharma, there's a reason why eggs/coffee/fat etc. is good for you one year then bad for you the next.

Was it really 100% effective?

FDA says Merck Ebola trial did NOT meet scientific standards and results were NOT statistically significant

See Wall Street Journal (Weekend edition article from this weekend ...... Except here....

"Behind the scenes, debate over the study’s methodology continues. People familiar with the issue said the U.S. Food and Drug Administration prepared a critical commentary about the study for publication in the Lancet. The FDA commentary was described as saying that the trial didn’t meet scientific standards and the results didn’t produce statistically significant results.

However, that journal didn’t publish the FDA critique on Friday. Inquiries made to senior editors there, Richard Horton and Astrid James, went unanswered.

Also, some U.S. officials said the researchers changed the protocol during the trial—generally a troublesome step— by deciding to measure cases only after a 10-day period. One of the study’s authors, John-Arne Rottingen,said the researchers always intended to measure cases 10 days after people were randomly assigned.

LOL

Was it really 100% effective?

FDA says Merck Ebola trial did NOT meet scientific standards and results were NOT statistically significant

See Wall Street Journal (Weekend edition article from this weekend ...... Except here....

"Behind the scenes, debate over the study’s methodology continues. People familiar with the issue said the U.S. Food and Drug Administration prepared a critical commentary about the study for publication in the Lancet. The FDA commentary was described as saying that the trial didn’t meet scientific standards and the results didn’t produce statistically significant results.

However, that journal didn’t publish the FDA critique on Friday. Inquiries made to senior editors there, Richard Horton and Astrid James, went unanswered.

Also, some U.S. officials said the researchers changed the protocol during the trial—generally a troublesome step— by deciding to measure cases only after a 10-day period. One of the study’s authors, John-Arne Rottingen,said the researchers always intended to measure cases 10 days after people were randomly assigned.

LOL

Yes LOL. And yes, NVAX didn't drop.

This is the world of pharma (big and small). Whenever there's money involved things tend to get ugly.