Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CRSP

Interesting news on CRSP clinical trial at ASH meeting coming up with oral presentation on 12/6. This abstract was selected for the plenary session and the abstract is now public. The researchers modified patient stem cells to turn on fetal hemoglobin which is resistant to effects of thalassemia and Sickle cell disease. Normally fetal hemoglobin is turned off after birth. Fetal hemoglobin was reactivated in all seven patients. So far it looks like they may have cured Sickle cell disease in two patient with no transfusions or admissions for vast-occlusive crisis. Time and more patients will tell but this is very exciting. Similar results in thalassemia patients.

Paper: Safety and Efficacy of CTX001 in Patients with Transfusion-Dependent β-Thalassemia and Sickle Cell Disease: Early Results from the Climb THAL-111 and Climb SCD-121 Studies of Autologous CRISPR-CAS9–Modified CD34+ Hematopoietic Stem and Progenitor Cells

Fidelity is offering to get in on Airbnb IPO. There's a giant PDF to go over. From what I can tell, they were making pretty good money and were investing into product development very heavily, and then the virus hit and they took a big hit. Made some cuts, and now with accelerated recovering their books look pretty good. I signed up for a fairly small allocation just to see how it works (never done this before), maybe it'll pop in the first few days of trading. Someone have done what looks like fairly credible DCF calculation, and this IPO looks fairly legit using their math. Not sure if I want to stay in this one for long term mostly since I don't have a clear picture on how good their management is.

• Informative
Reactions: dc_h and bkp_duke
Thoughts on CRM after the post earnings drop (and corollary gap-fill from the previous earnings spike) and Slack acquisition?
Without exception, EVERY time I see that symbol I do a double take. CRM is a name I made a potload of money on....by shorting. About the very, and possibly the very, last time I ever sold short.

You see.....

It used to be the symbol for a Venezuelan (yes!) conglomerate: Corimon. Thus the symbol's letters. Imploded spectacularly in the mid-1990s - shortly before I left Wall St; thank you very much. It appears that Salesforce got handed some worn out ol' stock symbol, but it still, as I wrote, flummoxes me every single time.

Fidelity is offering to get in on Airbnb IPO. There's a giant PDF to go over. From what I can tell, they were making pretty good money and were investing into product development very heavily, and then the virus hit and they took a big hit. Made some cuts, and now with accelerated recovering their books look pretty good. I signed up for a fairly small allocation just to see how it works (never done this before), maybe it'll pop in the first few days of trading. Someone have done what looks like fairly credible DCF calculation, and this IPO looks fairly legit using their math. Not sure if I want to stay in this one for long term mostly since I don't have a clear picture on how good their management is.
Looks like you have to be paying Fidelity for "advice" in order to take advantage? No thanks.

People keep trashing the SPACs, but it feels a much more democratic and decentralized way to go public.

Reactions: phantasms
SpaceX was mentioned again as a potential SPAC target by CNBC this morning. Obviously they have no idea what they're talking about, but it's worth tracking obviously.

Given the relationship to Chamath Palyhapitaya, is there any logic in "churning" through his SPAC offerings waiting for a potential SpacX deal? I bought some IPOB, sold it for a slight profit and bought IPOC hoping it was going to be The Boring Company. It's a healthcare startup that I'll likely keep.

With some TSLA option proceeds I'm planning to buy into all IPO[X] offerings at offering and see what happens. Most can likely be sold at or near purchase price if I don't like the eventual merged entity. Anywho.....it came up again and I thought I'd check here for any news.

Edit for another question: Looks like Chamath has IPOA up through IPOG actively trading. Is there a regular schedule for these new funds to become available or does it just happen one day?

True....

But then there's this. hhttps://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1329483695493931009?s=20

Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 11.36.36 AM.png

• Helpful
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Looks like you have to be paying Fidelity for "advice" in order to take advantage? No thanks.

People keep trashing the SPACs, but it feels a much more democratic and decentralized way to go public.
Doesn't look like paying for advice is necessary. I don't have any of the premium advisory services that need to be paid for. I was able to sign up for a small amount of shares.

MP Materials is the recent SPAC I put some money into, but only after the merge. Working really well so far, 60% up in just a few weeks.

The link I gave has the low-down on what it takes to participate:

Eligibility requirements*
Customers meeting one of the following asset, trade, or relationship criteria qualify to request to participate in ABNB with Fidelity:

Retail assets
Excludes institutional and annuity assets—such as 401(k) and 403(b)—and annuity contracts

$100,000 to participate in traditional IPOs sponsored by KKR, follow-on offerings, and secondary offerings
$500,000 to participate in traditional IPOs sponsored by Credit Suisse and other underwriters

That or being a member of the "Private Client Group" which I think starts from somewhere north of $1M assets, not sure what is the exact number.

Doesn't look like paying for advice is necessary. I don't have any of the premium advisory services that need to be paid for. I was able to sign up for a small amount of shares.

I'm also at Fidelity, and don't know if you're aware, but just because you've filled out an indication of interest to participate in the ABNB ipo, doesn't mean you'll get shares. If you've ever gone through trying to get ipo shares through Fidelity before, you know it's pretty difficult to get shares for the popular ipo's since Fidelity doesn't get a ton of shares. And it sounds like the ABNB ipo is going to be even more difficult for Fidelity to get shares because of the hybrid auction that is going to be used for ABNB and Door Dash...

Airbnb and DoorDash IPOs Will Use a ‘Hybrid Auction.’ What That Means—and Why It Matters.
(paywall)

Here's a Reddit thread if you don't have Barron's...
https://www.reddit.com/r/stocks/comments/k8pswy/abnb_dash_ipo_will_employ_a_hybrid_aution_model/

• Informative
Reactions: bkp_duke
SpaceX was mentioned again as a potential SPAC target by CNBC this morning. Obviously they have no idea what they're talking about, but it's worth tracking obviously.

Given the relationship to Chamath Palyhapitaya, is there any logic in "churning" through his SPAC offerings waiting for a potential SpacX deal? I bought some IPOB, sold it for a slight profit and bought IPOC hoping it was going to be The Boring Company. It's a healthcare startup that I'll likely keep.

With some TSLA option proceeds I'm planning to buy into all IPO[X] offerings at offering and see what happens. Most can likely be sold at or near purchase price if I don't like the eventual merged entity. Anywho.....it came up again and I thought I'd check here for any news.

Edit for another question: Looks like Chamath has IPOA up through IPOG actively trading. Is there a regular schedule for these new funds to become available or does it just happen one day?

Chamath's Social Capital Hedosophia SPAC's so far only go from IPO(A) through IPO(F). G hasn't started trading yet.
I don't think there's a public schedule for the later SPAC's to come out. IPOA started alone (merged with Virgin Galactic), then IPOB (opendoor) and IPOC (Clover Health) started trading at same time afterwards, and then IPOD, IPOE, and IPOF (none of these have a publicly stated target yet) came out together after that. Just keep an eye out on Chamath's twitter - he gave short notice before IPOD-F started trading.