Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are some things that only require logistics to happen; some things that require legislative changes to happen; some things that the science is proven, but require some further engineering to happen.

The Tesla cars to date did not require any advancements in science, or changes to laws to happen. There were some new technologies that were developed, but everything was done from existing science. The key question about Tesla's success was whether a start up car company was going to be able to navigate the extremely treacherous terrain of getting new cars from the drawing board to mass production in an environment with a lot of competitors already in the market. It was an incredibly complex logistics challenge, but it hasn't required any cutting edge science.

Landing rockets also proved to be a difficult challenge for SpaceX, but Elon worked out the entire thing on his return flight from Moscow when he and some other early SpaceX people went there to buy Russian rockets.

Full self driving vehicles has required several revisions of the hardware just to get to the starting gate. Elon thought that the cars built in late 2016 had all the hardware necessary to do FSD, but later figured out that they had vastly underestimated the computing power needed. Tesla brought in the top processor designer in the world (his designs are at the core of both the current AMD Ryzen and the Intel i series processors). He redesigned the processor to run FSD from the ground up to meet the new requirements.

A few years after introduction of that processor, FSD still hasn't happened because the software task is staggeringly complex. FSD is probably over 90% there, but the last edge cases are probably driving the programmers nuts.

I haven't been involved in this specific area, but I have a degree in Electronic Engineering and have worked most of my career in embedded systems and driving hardware with software. I was in the middle of the electronics testing for the Boeing 777 back in the early 90s. My job was on the side of creating the simulators to test the hardware, but I worked with people who were designing the stuff to go on the planes.

FSD is one of the most complex software problems ever attempted. Definitely the most complex ever to go into a consumer product. And the most complex intended to be used in the most congested places of our modern world.

Regulators are going to allow the tech to advance, but laws will need to change before level 4 FSD. Most jurisdictions now make it illegal to do anything that distracts you from paying full attention to the road. These laws became much more strict in recent years to curb people from texting while driving. At minimum those laws will have to change to some degree to allow the driver to be able to do something else while the vehicle drives itself. Otherwise, there will be zero benefit to FSD over current AP most of the time and few people will use it. The only time I think of using AP is when stuck in traffic or on long stretches of highway when I want to give my arms a break. The car is too much fun to drive otherwise.

As far as regulations go, regulator tend to be fairly conservative in their approach and are slow to approve new technology. Many car companies including Tesla have been pushing to eliminate external rear view mirrors for years. The Model X prototype had cameras for mirrors. But regulators have only approved electronic mirrors in a few places. And that's more straightforward than FSD.

The things Tesla and SpaceX has achieved: the Gigafactories, the cars in production, and reusable spaceflight are all things that match Elon's original visions for those achievements. It took longer to get to those goals than he predicted, but there were no major detours that required scrapping what they had done and completely starting over.

With FSD the problem has proven to be far more complex than Elon originally predicted and it has required a complete redesign of the processing hardware and a complete rewrite of the software and they still haven't released it.

Elon is a Physicist by training and he is good at working through how physical things like a car, rocket, or factory is going to work with his basic principles approach, but software is a different animal. In areas where Physics is not the dominant science underlying the thing, he has been rather poor at predicting the future. He was very wrong about COVID and may have done more harm than good with his Tweets. The path to FSD has also been badly delayed.

He's missed deadline predictions before, so it's possible FSD is another case of this, but it seems different to me. Even if Tesla gets FSD working, there is still the regulatory hurdles. Even Elon admitted several years ago that before FSD can get done regulators will need to change some laws.

We're way off topic here and I've had my say on this. Time will tell on this issue. I believe my initial comment was that I wasn't sure FSD was ever going to happen. A true skeptic is someone who has doubts, not someone who nay says everything. I'm the former.

Elon Musk is a brilliant industrialist, but that doesn't make him a genius at everything. He has misses as well as successes. It's possible he may pull off FSD, but it's also possible that the problem is too difficult to get to level 5 reliably either technologically or legally. There are a lot of unknowns.
I don't know what the outcome will be, but I do think this is a worthy discussion as FSD success is effectively an option that will multiply the ultimate value of Tesla.

My unsophisticated opinion is that FSD will happen relatively quickly (next 5 years) primarily based on 2 things. The rate of improvement seen from watching FSD beta videos, and the exponential nature of improvement described in the wait but why article (although I note the irony of linking to an article that is already 6 years old).

1621842172192.png

Reactions: CLK350 and Brn2Run
Getting back on track to what this thread is supposed to be about ... ahem. Here are some stocks I'm looking to add to my portfolio.

First, I'm looking to diversify away from the US stock market and US$ since our debt to GDP levels has hit levels not seen since WW II, and it isn't looking like it'll come don anytime soon. As I look around the world, I like what South Korea is doing - they've kept their debt levels in check, handled the coronavirus situation very well, and have a stable political environment and are well positioned globally to take in investment that used to go to Hong Kong/China, and I fear, Taiwan.

In case you didn't know, South Korea is home to Samsung, LG, Kia, Hyundai, has very pro-western policies and a culture that welcomes both cultural and people imports as well as exports.

Anyways, I'm thinking now is a good time to buy LG Chem (051910.KS) and Samsung SDI (006400.KS) - these are the two separately listed subsidiaries of the conglomerates that, among other things, manufacture EV batteries. Tesla and GM are already sourcing batteries from LG Chem, while Rivian and to some extent VW are sourcing batteries from Samsung SDI. Ford is working with SK Innovation to build a US factory, but that won't be up and running for years (and SK pays royalties to LG Chem).

Anyways, with EV activity ramping, and economies in general ramping, seems like a good time to buy these companies.

Naver (035420.KS) is South Korea's google. It does e-commerce, fintech, ads, search, and video content. Lots of growth ahead of it. Target price of KRW450,000 to KRW520,000 depending which analyst you listen to.

Finally, here's a left field one. Other than electronics, Korea's other major export is K-Pop. Like their electronics, this has worldwide appeal and revenue. One of the big three such companies, SM Entertainment just saw their stock price rise by about 45% in the past month (I hate it when I'm a bit late researching these companies!). Among interesting innovations, they have an eight member female band, four of which are AIs. They also recently made waves by announcing the formation of a K-Pop band composed of American talent. I can't buy the stock at this price, but I'll be watching it for a drop going forward.

However, another K-Pop band that is also doing well and whose stock price hasn't gone into the stratosphere recently is Hybe (352820.KS).

Getting back on track to what this thread is supposed to be about ... ahem. Here are some stocks I'm looking to add to my portfolio.

First, I'm looking to diversify away from the US stock market and US$ since our debt to GDP levels has hit levels not seen since WW II, and it isn't looking like it'll come don anytime soon. As I look around the world, I like what South Korea is doing - they've kept their debt levels in check, handled the coronavirus situation very well, and have a stable political environment and are well positioned globally to take in investment that used to go to Hong Kong/China, and I fear, Taiwan.

In case you didn't know, South Korea is home to Samsung, LG, Kia, Hyundai, has very pro-western policies and a culture that welcomes both cultural and people imports as well as exports.

Anyways, I'm thinking now is a good time to buy LG Chem (051910.KS) and Samsung SDI (006400.KS) - these are the two separately listed subsidiaries of the conglomerates that, among other things, manufacture EV batteries. Tesla and GM are already sourcing batteries from LG Chem, while Rivian and to some extent VW are sourcing batteries from Samsung SDI. Ford is working with SK Innovation to build a US factory, but that won't be up and running for years (and SK pays royalties to LG Chem).

Anyways, with EV activity ramping, and economies in general ramping, seems like a good time to buy these companies.

Naver (035420.KS) is South Korea's google. It does e-commerce, fintech, ads, search, and video content. Lots of growth ahead of it. Target price of KRW450,000 to KRW520,000 depending which analyst you listen to.

Finally, here's a left field one. Other than electronics, Korea's other major export is K-Pop. Like their electronics, this has worldwide appeal and revenue. One of the big three such companies, SM Entertainment just saw their stock price rise by about 45% in the past month (I hate it when I'm a bit late researching these companies!). Among interesting innovations, they have an eight member female band, four of which are AIs. They also recently made waves by announcing the formation of a K-Pop band composed of American talent. I can't buy the stock at this price, but I'll be watching it for a drop going forward.

However, another K-Pop band that is also doing well and whose stock price hasn't gone into the stratosphere recently is Hybe (352820.KS).
Don't forget Coupang.

This thread has officially jumped the shark.

@Cosmacelf suggesting in K-Pop bands. 😉

Model S won't happen, said TSLAQ. Ditto Model X, Model 3, Model Y, Giga Nevada, Giga Shanghai, reusable rockets.

"Hype, vaporware, pump-and-dump, fraud, Potemkin village, muddy field, Elon's crazy fantasy."

Some folks don't seem to learn from experience.

Flying cars wont happen.. (mass produced)

Another tip is CBLU Clear Blue Technologies International Inc
They are engaged in the development and sales of smart off-Grid power solutions and management services. Its products include a solar or solar-hybrid controller, a built-in communications network, and Illumience.

www.clearbluetechnologies.com

Last edited:
it seems Iron Chloride chemistry, downside seems mediocre DC-DC efficiency 70-75% probably comparable to pumped hydro.
Do you mean "coloumbic efficiency"? Because bty chemistry has exactly zero to do with DC-DC efficiency, which is a measure of the performance of the electronics of the charger and related equipment, all OUTSIDE the bty cell.

So there's that.

• Disagree
Reactions: transpondster
Do you mean "coloumbic efficiency"? Because bty chemistry has exactly zero to do with DC-DC efficiency, which is a measure of the performance of the electronics of the charger and related equipment, all OUTSIDE the bty cell.

So there's that.
So you got disagree on other thread from me, searched for my last posts to comment something and put disagree on mine? Pathetic....
Although not 1rst time IIRC... Mr Righteous...

and No, not NECESSARY coloumbic, could be just high IR, most likely both.

I have signed up to Coinbase. I have the stock - investigating them plus keen to get a crypto foothold. Boy is it hardwork - they are reviewing my account...

Crypto is at the foetus stage.

Crypto is really risky, even more so now. China is likely to be outlawing it. The US could very well do the same and/or put severe restrictions on it. At least it is probably protected from ransomware attacks since those guys rely on crypto to get paid 😄

Some review of my recommendations

TSMC has fallen back, but still up by a lot since I recommended.
MMED, shroom stocks went up 400%, the other went bust. So kind of 50/50
LSPD performed spectacularly during lock down even though I bought it for what will happen after lockdown.
JNH bombed by 50% now that opening up is happening, a failed one
IRDM I've taken profit for most of my position and are just letting a tiny portion to run in case it moons.

I don't know if I mentioned these since they were not tech stocks, but I bought a few pizza stock because unhealthy cheap fast food is best for economic downturns.

Poet Technologies

I watched the video and I think they may be on to something. I've been looking at opportunities in high speed internet lately. If the US infrastructure bill gets passed and still has money to expand broadband access to rural areas, there will be a gold rush into companies that make the equipment as well as those who install it.

As they point out, Poet's tech is useful beyond broadband, but that's the first application for it.

I think some kind of infrastructure bill is likely and whatever is covered by the bill will be good news for any companies in that area. Road infrastructure is one of the most talked about areas, but there are many other parts of US infrastructure that have been neglected and need fixing, there is a political push on to get money thrown at the problems. Who knows how much it will be and in what areas, but I think it is likely money will be spent on infrastructure repair and expansion in some way.

As an investor now is the time to buy and hold some stocks that might be affected.

I did start buying some "digital REITs". The ones I bought are completely mischaracterized by the investment community (they are COR and DLR). These are companies that own and operate data centers. COR and DLR in particular operate highly prized and sought after Internet interconnection points. If you are an ISP, you need to have a link into their data centers. If you provide a large scale Internet site to consumers, you need to have equipment in their data centers, etc.

After action report. In actual fact, I ended up buying three digital REITs, COR, DLR and QTS back in mid January. At the time, they yielded between 3% and 4%. For that kind of stock yield, if I got 5% capital gain appreciation in a year, I'd be OK, 10%, great, 20% per year, I'm patting myself on the back for being a genius.

Anyways, for much of the time since I bought them, they bounced around from -2% to 10% price appreciation depending on the stock. A few days ago, KKR decides to buy out QTS. I'm now sitting on 30%, 21% and 15% price appreciation after 5 months for QTS, DLR and COR respectively, and wish I had bought more!

Reactions: Tes La Ferrari
Should I get out of Dodge Lordstown? Down loads today and yesterday. $1.6Bn. I can see them being bought.

Probably. That company had no business being a public company. As you can see from this article, or from the SEC filing, they don't even have a competent accounting staff, let alone R&D and manufacturing.

Unfortunately, this is the likely path many SPAC financed companies will go...

• Informative
Reactions: Buckminster