Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Percent is Your Tesla Charged to While at Home?

What Percent is Your Tesla Charged to While at Home on a Regular Basis?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently 65% lol. There’s a Tesla charger near by and before 11am it’s $0.23. I started charging there once a week even though I have home charging because it’s way cheaper. I typically try to run my battery down to 20% and supercharge to 80%. When our solar gets activated I’ll charge there less since I can slow charge during the day under the sun when I’m working at home 50% of the time.

The new iPhone 15 has an option to stop charging at 80%. This replaces the "optimizing charging" in older iPhones.

iPhone 15 has new battery health controls to prevent charging past 80%
Same deal for the Apple Watch now.

Yesterday I put watchOS 10 on my Apple Watch. When placing the watch on my charger last night I noticed a message on the watch about only charging to 80%. Got up this morning and indeed, the watch was at 80%.

Just like the iPhone's new 80% optimized charging, this can be turned off. But I don't see a way yet to adjust the 80% limit.

Full details here (scroll down to "Optimized Charge Limit on Apple Watch"):

About Optimized Battery Charging on your Apple Watch

My Apple Watch is a year old and shows 96% battery capacity (4% degradation). My iPhone 13, two years old, is at 91% battery capacity (9% degradation).

@AAKEE , can you comment on this post about 100 year NMC cells:
Post in thread 'Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable' Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable
I do not have the time to cgeckbthat link now but Iv’e read a report about it and seen a video from that Dr Jeff dahn.

From memory It covers cycles only and not calendar aging.
We need to have batteries that cope with both.

Another perspective is that the LG NCMA seem to hold up very well and probably survives the car with a good margin.

Batteries would already do this in colder climates, and to not break before the car does in warm climates we need to get the calendar aging low.

Same deal for the Apple Watch now.

Yesterday I put watchOS 10 on my Apple Watch. When placing the watch on my charger last night I noticed a message on the watch about only charging to 80%. Got up this morning and indeed, the watch was at 80%.

Just like the iPhone's new 80% optimized charging, this can be turned off. But I don't see a way yet to adjust the 80% limit.

Full details here (scroll down to "Optimized Charge Limit on Apple Watch"):

About Optimized Battery Charging on your Apple Watch

My Apple Watch is a year old and shows 96% battery capacity (4% degradation). My iPhone 13, two years old, is at 91% battery capacity (9% degradation).
I'm at 100% on both my iPhone and Watch. Figures right? Yes, I've been charging only to 60% SOC. It has 236 cycles and is still above its rated capacity at 102.7% and 3285mAh.
1695400769158.jpeg

coconutBattery 3.9 - by coconut-flavour.com
I use the free Coconut Battery app on my Mac to tell me how my iPhone battery is doing.

Here's my Watch data, and you can see I charge it only to 60%; basically a little in the morning and a little in the evening.
incoming-401CA58E-9679-417B-A8DE-E1A7F1CB3B74.jpeg
incoming-E0AC1D8B-C64C-44F2-91B0-9AB9CBDE8D97.jpeg

I think there are apps you can buy that can control charging and allow you to set limits, but I just set a timer, since I know my phone needs 1 ½ mins for 1%, and my Watch needs 2mins for 1%.

I typically charge to 52% daily. My daily usage is only around 20 miles and brings it down to about 44%. I’ve never charged the car beyond 75% since I’ve gotten it.

A question about the battery algorithm. When you charge to 50%, are 1) 100% of the battery cells charged to 50% capacity or 2) 50% of the batteries are charged 100%?

My guess is #1.

So if someone charged to a 100% daily and they needed a battery replacement due to less than 70% degradation, could tesla refuse a replacement?

I pored over all of the articles on TMC about the ideal battery charge percentage and the general consensus was to keep it around 50%. However, there was also agreement that under 50%, even to the point of 10% battery life is not an issue whereas the higher percentages like 90% degrade the battery faster. So I decided to hover around 50% but skew lower.

52% brings me down to an average of 44% for daily use while still giving me enough charge in case I need to do a surprise errand out of the way.

I also “slow” charge at 12 amps. Used to do 5A but everyone told me that keeps the system on longer causing wear and energy waste.

I’m sure this is all unnecessary as I recently read today that a Model S used as a taxi after 350,000 miles saw only 12% battery loss.

Reactions: PACEMD and nicksp
I pored over all of the articles on TMC about the ideal battery charge percentage and the general consensus was to keep it around 50%. However, there was also agreement that under 50%, even to the point of 10% battery life is not an issue whereas the higher percentages like 90% degrade the battery faster. So I decided to hover around 50% but skew lower.

52% brings me down to an average of 44% for daily use while still giving me enough charge in case I need to do a surprise errand out of the way.

I also “slow” charge at 12 amps. Used to do 5A but everyone told me that keeps the system on longer causing wear and energy waste.
5A wastes energy, but if you are using 110V, 12A isn't much better. The reason is the fixed overhead costs of keeping the HV energized and the car awake is high relative to the energy being put into the car. Also, extending the time the car is being charged (which typically means a higher battery temperature) can contribute to more calendar loss. As others pointed out, even charging at 32A isn't anywhere close to the charging rates that may contribute to higher cycle loss.
I’m sure this is all unnecessary as I recently read today that a Model S used as a taxi after 350,000 miles saw only 12% battery loss.
The S does not necessarily use the same battery cells as your specific Model 3 (which varies a lot depending on what year and version you have), and the miles only tells the cycle life, not the calendar life which seems to play a bigger role for regular driving. The high mileage taxies only ran for 3 years for example. That doesn't tell you what to expect 8 years down the line for example.
Here's how a Tesla Model S holds up after 400,000 miles in 3 years

Reactions: Manbutter
Got through all 20 pages and still need simplified answers.

1. The difference between SOC of 55% vs 80% is roughly 2% per year degradation, is that a correct conclusion?
2. So here is the part I don't particularly understand. Is there a time of non-use involved in determining SOC? If I charge it to 65%, and it sits for 30mins before I leave, then get to work and it's at 55% and it sits for 8-10hrs, wouldn't that be the SOC, 55%? Or is it whatever you charge it to initially the SOC? I guess I'm wondering what determines SOC % in the calculations in the thread.
3. If I am travelling and I let it go to 3% before supercharging to 80%, is that bad? I've not wanted to stop in certain areas and skipped the SC for the next one, but if there is a specific "don't go below %" (limited understanding is that it's fine as low is good).
4. Lastly, what happens if one were to SC to 100%?