Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What should AP do when max speed is exceeded?

What should AP do when the driver exceeds its max speed?

• Stay engaged and keep steering while the user has their foot on the accelerator

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

appleguru

Mar 15, 2017
MA, US
AP2’s “punish the driver and shut off for the rest of the drive” when you exceed 90mph with AP on is one of my biggest current gripes with AP.

Posting a poll to gather the community’s opinions after that rather lively discussion in a few other threads...

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I'd hedge and do this: "Alert driver and disable AP. Allow the driver to re-engage when speed drops below max. If max speed is exceeded again on the same trip, shut off for the rest of the drive."

That's a good idea. Much rather have it disabled completely after the second "violation" of exceeding the max speed since the last thing you'd want is somebody continuously turning on AP when it shuts off and then forget that AP is off at the exceeded speed limit. That's a disaster just waiting to happen.

• Helpful
Reactions: jason.a
What do you mean by "rest of the drive"?

How does taking an exit, putting it in park and resuming it back considered "rest of the drive" ?

My drive might be 500 miles and then next exit might be two miles away.

What do you mean by "rest of the drive"?

How does taking an exit, putting it in park and resuming it back considered "rest of the drive" ?

My drive might be 500 miles and then next exit might be two miles away.

Let me know if I've somehow misinterpreted how Tesla currently handles things when you ignore the nags or go above the max speed. I've never triggered the latter actually. My hedge idea was not attempting to debate or define "rest of the drive", was simply adding in a 'get out of jail free card' on the first strike; which seems reasonable to me. Slightly off topic, my biggest complaint is that I sometimes don't see or hear the nags in order to comply with them. Frankly, personally I'm fine with the "punishment" if I'm at least aware that I'm doing the crime.

That's a good idea. Much rather have it disabled completely after the second "violation" of exceeding the max speed since the last thing you'd want is somebody continuously turning on AP when it shuts off and then forget that AP is off at the exceeded speed limit. That's a disaster just waiting to happen.

Correct me if im wrong, but anytime autosteer disables in my car a big loud alarm rings and a picture of two hands and a sterring wheel saying "take control immediately" pops up on my dash. If someone misses that queue then we have bigger problems.

Reactions: appleguru
Correct me if im wrong, but anytime autosteer disables in my car a big loud alarm rings and a picture of two hands and a sterring wheel saying "take control immediately" pops up on my dash. If someone misses that queue then we have bigger problems.
Appreciate the "compliment". LOL. In my car if music is up at cruising levels, the "alarm" isn't loud by any definition of the word. Perhaps I have a setting jacked up. The white/light flash around the screen is pretty subtle to my eye. I've watched other people miss it driving my car. Then again, I definitely find myself looking down the road vs. the screen. Lastly, I'm probably not the most reliable narrator as I don't have a commute....