Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what should I buy before model 3 comes out.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

can you guys help me. I am moving to Canada in a month from the UK. I reserved model 3 in Canada, ( first day :))
Need a car in the meantime to drive, Do not know what to buy or lease. What would you do. I do not want to spend more than $10,000 on a vehicle ( can pay cash) but also hate the idea of buying another ICE vehicle. Not sure how I feel about plug in hybrids as it feels a bit like cheating.

As we do not know when model 3 is going to come out, Tesla is known for being late. I do not mind waiting.

I currently drive a 2002 Mercedes C-180 kompressor. Its a good car but get a horrible gas milage in the city driving.
What would you buy while you were waiting for model 3. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Honda Civic is most popular car in Canada.

Start in a month, in London ON? Western U?

If you don't mind leasing someone put up a spread sheet with lease rates in ON here:
Monthly lease payments for all car manufactures - RedFlagDeals.com

Next month also there's a dealer in TO that has had a annual sale lease on Smart ED for $99/month the past couple of years in August. If you keep an eye out, and they do it again this year you may be able to get a better lease rate from your local dealer.
2015/16 Smart EV coupe $99/month for 36 months + Dealer Fees is back - RedFlagDeals.com

Last edited:
Reactions: starlord111
I am in the same situation because we have to give our TDI Sportwagon back to VW so they can crush it. So, we are out of a second car for a year or two until the Model 3 is available. We were thinking of leasing a Volt to hold us over.... seems like it gets good reviews and we would use it as our city car so it would mostly be EV, but egad, it's a Chevy! :confused:

I am in the same situation because we have to give our TDI Sportwagon back to VW so they can crush it. So, we are out of a second car for a year or two until the Model 3 is available. We were thinking of leasing a Volt to hold us over.... seems like it gets good reviews and we would use it as our city car so it would mostly be EV, but egad, it's a Chevy! :confused:

Although you don't have to give it back right away, unless you want to. (In the same boat)

Reactions: EV-lutioin
To be fair, everyone says it's a Chevy that's built well.

Given that there's no superchargers within the range of any Tesla on the market currently to where I live, I'd get a Volt if I were to buy a new car today. It's on my list of cars to consider if there's no superchargers built in this province by the time the 3 comes out.

Reactions: GSP and EV-lutioin
I guess your right, we don't have to give it back just yet, but at this point it is like holding on to a girlfriend/boyfriend you know you are going to break up with.... may as well get it over with sooner than later. ;)

Except that the car won't depreciate. Your value is locked in. You get to use it for free. As long as you don't total it or render the engine inoperative.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
2010ish civic. Cheap to buy, cheap to own, and will surely last you the 3 years.
I second this. I have one and it's good for being cheap to insure, easy to park, etc.

If you get one, keep the mileage in mind, because as you get to 105,000 miles, you'll need to do a timing belt replacement among other items on Page 134: https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/om/SI9999/SI9999O00132A.pdf

(Mine has 80k and I'm hoping to put it towards my Model 3 at closer to 100k miles, but at least before I would need to do the timing belt)

• Informative
Reactions: SΞXY P100D